Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Great thread TJ, I am very interested in your results. best of luck!

Get out and fish.
jakeb #192590 11/18/09 08:37 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Should we add HCP to the Acronyms thread?

Omaha #192634 11/18/09 01:33 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Looks like a plan to me... If TJ has good luck with them, I can see them being added to a lot more ponds in the future!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
TJ,

Do you happen to have an update for us on this? Just wondering how your growth has been for the fish.

I was going to add some of these as well this fall but the timing did not work out for me to get them so I plan to get some in April.

Please let us know.

F
F
TeeJaeh57 – can you give us a quick update? Did anyone else try this combination? 'Very curious as to the outcome...thanks.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
My pond is full of little fish so I passed on getting any hybrid crappie for now.

I hope TJ has an update on this as well, since I would like to know even more before diving into this.

O
O
It seems as if you were catching crappies at peak spawning times it would be pretty clear which is female and which is male. Females would be laden with eggs and the males would be milting all over ya while taking out the hook. If any doubt throw em back and catch another one. Just need to know which one would get bigger in pond environment. Sounds simple enough but then again I am still trying to figure out how I got bg in my no bg pond. wink

O
O
But hey if we can get an order of triploids count me in for 100.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Okay, here's my update.

Last Fall when I drained and seined my upper ponds [SMB and RES/CSBG Hybrid reproduction ponds] it flowed through my experimental HBC pond pretty well. Later that Fall and into Winter I began catching some HBC in the main pond. I was pretty surprised to learn they had somehow made it through the overflow and through 150 yards of marsh to my main pond. I was surprised because none of the 3 SMB nor my few male CSBG left the pond, only the HBC. So, experiment is over in regards to my intentions of isolating them. Not smart.

Apart from learning that given the opportunity HBC will head for moving water, here's the other data:

Growth rates for first 12 months - max size 8", average size was more like 7". So that's around 80-100% growth first year. Last winter we popped a few just under 10", but these were from my main pond through the ice. I think the HBC benefit from a much stronger and varied forage base in the main pond. So, after 16 months we saw fish approaching 10". I think this is pretty standard growth rates for Crappie, but I'm not certain. So, jury is still out to see if these HBC growth rates are increased over standard BC or WC.

In regards to reproduction - I have not witnessed any to this point, but have not been seining. I did trap a few fish today and will post below. I was excited to see evidence my YP were reproducing, but the other fish concerned me - look like Crappie to me. What are your thoughts?

Attached Images
Picture 375.jpg Picture 374.jpg Picture 372.jpg

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Top two look like BG to me and the last pic is a YP.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Well, of course that's a YP! I was only concerned about the top two. They dark speckles on these fish contrasted with my typical YOY BG. I sure do hope you are right though! I guess I expected some reproduction from the HBC but seeing it is another story.

That YP was a cute little bugger. I've never seen one so small. I knew I had to have reproduction going, but this is the first evidence I've had. I can't wait to see how those YP pushing 13.5" this Winter have grown. It's an all you can eat buffet of YOY GSH, Grass Shrimp, and BG down there!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
3rd pic is cool as hell to see TJ. Congrats.

Omaha #270049 09/13/11 11:20 PM
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
He's awfully skinny tho. Hope he makes it through the Fall. Looks like a nice meal for the 100 WE I'm stocking this Fall!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Travis - are you land hunting?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree with Travis, BG and YP. Why do those BG and YP look like they were underfed? Larger heads, larger eyes, longer looking bodies. I thought the CSBG were taller?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
TJ - Did you stock HSB with Carl and company or just SMB? Thank you for the update…

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Yes, stocked 8 8" HSB. I have seen no evidence of their survival. The experiment completely imploded when I forced 9 acre feet of water through a .2 acre pond.

Unfortunately I have no advice to lend anyone in regards to HBC at this time. I have seen no evidence of a spawn, but I limit fishing at my pond 4x monthly and I am never fishing minnows...typically looking for my HSB and SMB. This winter I will be jigging minnows for YP and I should be able report more on the growth of the HBC.

If you are interested in stocking HBC do so in a pond that will not drain into any other BOW you don't intend them to enter....obviously.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I am surprised that they grow so slow, do you think this was do to the size of your pond or the amount of food?

I wonder if they did spawn if the SMB and HSB ate them, they say they will spawn but are inferior fish so maybe they grow even slower and were eaten.

Had I heard of the HBC before stocking my pond I would have went that route, but not sure I want to take a chance with them now, what I would like is to move some larger males from the lake to my pond and see how they handle, like some 12-15 inch fish. Of course I would be the lucky one to guess the gender incorrectly.

Now should one be concerned if your pond drains to another BOW or if the other BOW drains into the pond?

Did you see them go both up and downstream when flooded?

You mentioned something about forcing water through your pond, why was this done?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Drained my two reproduction ponds - go downstream to the HBC pond, then that flows to main pond. When I drained the two repro ponds they flowed thru my HBC pond. I needed to gradually release water, I didn't.

F
F
Thanks for the update! I really appreciate it.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Sorry not more helpful. If anyone wants to stock feel free to contact me we can chat on the phone more about it. They certainly may be suitable for pond fisheries...many variables to consider. Again feel free to hit me up anytime.

TJ

F
F
TJ – you’ve been very helpful- thank you! I’m still in the pond planning stage but I appreciate your kind offer.. I’ll do a “need help” post when I’m closer. Again, many thanks.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
That's what we're ALL here for, TX. Don't hesitate to ask ask ask and research your butt off. You're lucky to be close to Bob and Mike Otto. You couldn't dream of two better resources to help you realize your dream.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Update on the Hybrid Blacknose Crappie Experiment:

Caught a few from beneath the dock last month on lightning jigs - they have responded pretty well since their inadvertant introduction to the main pond - pushing 12"

Attached Images
Picture 379.jpg

J
J
No overpopulation?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner