Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986), 1,020 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I tried making my own directional feeder using a kit. George1 has the same feeder, and has had better luck with it than I did. I ended up scrapping it ('coons damaged it and I couldn't stop them from doing it again). I went with an AquaPro ASF75 and haven't had any problems with it, mechanical, electric or from the 'coons. The RES should do just fine, I have them in my pond albet in small numbers. They are growing on a pace to stay even with the BG.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just posted this on my other topic but ill post it on here to. on my feeders, Ive been researching them. Ive found the high dollar ones seem to all have a mechanical door to keep the food in or let it out that seems to automatically open or close via actuator of some sort. On the cheaper ones like the moultrie's im looking into they dont have a door or atleast they dont mention it. So what gets the food out when it kicks on or keeps the food in when its off? I know someone has the similar setup whats your thoughts on this?

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
BGK, if your really low on funds for your feeders you could mount them on a tripod, or mount them on shore and use a deer feeder and block 180 degrees of the feeding arc with a piece of plastic. I had to put my feeder on the tripod cause of bear problems.
Here's one on a tripod.

Here's the new feeder I am using, $40., and the bucket comes with the feeder.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/moultrie-6-1-2-gal-econo-plus-feeder.aspx?a=552646

What kinda spread does this throw out? Im probably gonna go with a similar set up and just maintain it by boat. Also where did you get the tripod? Or did you make it?

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 09/10/09 04:44 PM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
From my understanding of the feeders, here's how I think they work.

The more expensive feeders have a circular plate that the food falls on, and this is what keeps the food from falling out of the container. Below that is a Fan. The fan turns on first, then the circular plate spins, throwing food into the path of the air from the fan. The spinning plate then stops, and the fan continues to run to clean all the food out of that space. I only have Stren AquaPro feeders, I don't know if this holds true for the others, but the fan speed and food dispenser are controllable independently from each other.

The cheaper feeders only use the dispensing spinner, either circular for a 360* throw (like the one on the tripod) or a vertical "flapper" on the directional feeders. The dispensing spinner/flapper keeps the food in the hopper as well. If varmints turn either the spinner or the flapper, they will continue to get food as long as they can spin it. With the more expensive ones, they can't get to that piece of the puzzle because the fan is below it.

With the cheaper feeders that are set-up as wildlife feeders (i.e. set up to throw corn) I had a heck of a time getting the AquaMax 600 sized pellets to work without causing a jam, or bridgeing inside the hopper and causing it to plug up.

George1 has has success using one brand of "flapper" style feeder. Maybe he'll chime in here and let us know what he did to get it to work. I couldn't outsmart the 'coons around here with that feeder.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I dont think ill have problems with varmits with it mounted out in the water on a tripod or post. also all my feed will make it in the water.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
BGK, the feed plate on the feeder is only about 20 inches above the water so It gets about a 20ft. diameter feed pattern.
The tripod is made from 3- 10ft. long fence pipes, with fence caps on the end and a bolt thru the hole at the top of the caps joining all 3 legs, then just cut short pieces of pipe, crush the ends flat and bolt them to the legs about 12" down from the top, this adds enough strength to the tripod.

esshup mentioned having problems with larger pellets clogging, this can be fixed by lowering the feeder from the bucket by using washers as spacers, also by epoxying a 5" piece of coat hanger to the center of the feed plate with a slight bend extending up into the feed bucket. This helps move and vibrate the feed to keep it from clogging. My last feeder was set up this way and worked great for 2 years untill the bear destroyed it.
This new feeder has no modifications except putting in a 6" piece of stove pipe in the bucket to reduce the amount of feed it holds and the pellets move quicker down the bucket. It has worked great using 5mm trout pellets.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 09/10/09 10:38 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Killer, there ya go! It looks like AP got it figured out. I couldn't use the rotary one like that because I don't have a way to fill it (no boat).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Im ordering 3 of them w/solar. I have another thread going in feeding theres also some good info in there on these feeders if anyones interested. And if anyone else runs these feeders, how long you been running and what problems have you had, besides pest my will be in the water so i wont have to worry about pest.
Thanks
Nick

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
The biggest thing to consider in my opinion, other than issues already mentioned, is ease of refilling the feeder. I briefly had the feeder that recently got trashed by a varmint, mounted off a 2X12 that extended out over the water; I had to launch my johnboat each time I refilled it. I discovered firsthand how infinitely more complicated it is to pour fifty pounds of fish chow into a bucket with a metal lid that's held tight by a wire handle, while trying to keep even an anchored boat from drifting just enough feet the wrong way to toss oneself into the brink, without spilling said fifty pounds of food into the boat or pond or dropping the metal lid into the pond such that it sinks like metal to the bottom. So I ended up reclaiming a fifteen-year-old wooden raft, or barge as the pond owner calls it, and cutting it in half to make two mini-docks for mounting feeders on. Refilling that feeder now involves far less profanity and in general is a much more tranquil endeavor.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Walt Foreman
I discovered firsthand how infinitely more complicated it is to pour fifty pounds of fish chow into a bucket with a metal lid that's held tight by a wire handle, while trying to keep even an anchored boat from drifting just enough feet the wrong way to toss oneself into the brink, without spilling said fifty pounds of food into the boat or pond or dropping the metal lid into the pond such that it sinks like metal to the bottom.

\:D \:D \:D

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I tried putting a rotary feeder mounted on a post in the water. I had the same problem filling it from a boat so I gave up on that idea.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
The tripod works well for me as the front of the canoe slides right between the legs and wedges there and I can fill the bucket while sitting on the front seat.
Walt, watch that profanity, you don't want the fish picking up bad habits.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I give my bluegill pep talks. Other times I just speak to them soothingly and tell them how proud I am of them as they attack the AQM 500 like piranhas.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One of ewest's first posts ever was a brilliant solution to doing physical work from a boat.

He said to take an A-Frame ladder out with you and set that in the water.

It was like a brand new day...

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday