Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,131
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Bill Cody, Sunil, jpsdad, Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986), 1,020 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Oh sure Brettski, you can photoshop a picture of Vic holding a trout but you won't touch the one of Sunil cuddling a dolphin.

I'm beginning to think that Sunil has a blackmail folder on you Brettski.

Note to self:
Contact Sunil and find out how much cheddar it would take to get a copy of the Brettski blackmail folder.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have a thing for dolphins. Besides, it was apparent that Sunil's gentle touch was making it smile.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: go big
Another question would be if it had to be dug in clay soil because if wouldn't really be needed since water is flowing into it all year round. There is clay but since i don't have the time and equipement to compact clay and the works i m thinking to just dig it up and let the spring fill it.

Would trout work in such a small pond???

My pond is in clay soil but has a 4 inch pipe at the water line that the well water runs in from. I have so much clay in fact that the trout pond sides are 1:1 with a minimum of sloughing.

(The net was supposed to divide the brook from the brown trout but they went under it.) Pond is not as deep as it looks. It's only 8 feet in the center.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
go big Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Cecil, how did you dig those ponds there? What excavator did you use?

I have clay to its just a pain to put it on the sides and compact it with out the right equipement.

Your pond there is almost exactly what i had planned.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: go big
Cecil, how did you dig those ponds there? What excavator did you use?

I have clay too its just a pain to put it on the sides and compact it with out the right equipement.

Your pond there is almost exactly what i had planned.

What you see is not compacted if you're referring to packing soil around the pond to make it deeper. It's dug, and it was dug in a day with a huge track hoe excavator. I believe the excavator did drive a small bulldozer up and down the banks though. However on the end you can't see (outside of left side of photo) there is somewhat of a dike where the ground slopes downward and the dike had to be built to keep the banks level. After about 10 years I still get a little seepage under that dike as the excavator later admitted to me not only did he not dig a core trench, but he packed the clay over sod. Fortunately the seepage is small and seems to be getting less and less over time.

Clay soil can be compacted, but it needs to be the right balance between wet and dry. Too wet and it sticks severely to the excavator shovel and too dry and it won't compact well.
It also needs to be compacted in approximately 6 inch layers just like any other soil. Am I right Otto?

I've never measured the percent of clay in my soil but there are areas in the bottom of this pond where it's like potters clay. But then one can find small sand lenses in some places.

If I had level ground and the right soil I would not bother building up the edges etc. to make it deeper. I would just dig deeper. There is no need to create problems you can prevent.

BTW that pipe you see is not the well inlet pipe. It's an outlet pipe from another pond in case i choose to use it. It's capped for now.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/27/09 08:52 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
go big Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
I just measured the temp of the water and it stands at 54.3.

Thats good for trout right?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday