Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (dg84s, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 798 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#180756 08/27/09 09:08 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Have treated my 1/2 acre pond three times in the past 6 weeks to kill my algae problem. Have been using 2 gallons of copper sulfate liquid and mixing each gallon with 2 gallons water and spraying around the edges. It does rid the pond in a few days and I keep getting my hopes up, but in a week or so it keeps re-emerging. For some reason this summer I can't rid my pond of the stuff for any length of time. I read a post above that mentioned using Hydrothol may cause more algae growth and I did treat my pond a few months ago with 40 pounds to rid it of a major pondweed problem. It killed the pondweed and I tried to remove as much of the dead stuff as I could with a garden rake. I know any nutrients just cause more fuel so I try to keep the dead weeds and algae removed as well as I can. Am I alone with an algae problem this summer?? It has been very wet and my pond has been overfilled a few times with drainage.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
This was the first year with my pond by Ann Arbor. I have had a thick ring about 6 feet wide most of the summer. Just this last week it started to break up a bit on one end. I have treated with GreenClean with some success, but it has been a problem.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Michigan must have something unique going on this year. A customer there will be getting his BT around 10am even though it's so late in the season. He only had minnows so I sent some starving youngins that want to grow a bunch fast on the algae.

Lunker
Lunker
No Brian, you are not alone. Our lakes have had more algae this year too, even the ones that have no storm drains have had some algae they normally don't. A wierd brown algae that grows on the bottom, and floats to the top with hair like things in it. Michigan weather just wasn't normal, I'm so angry that the Summer of Fun did not have the weather it should have. Too much rain early on, no spring and look at summer in the 50's at night in July and August? I feel robbed.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: 2catmom
No Brian, you are not alone. Our lakes have had more algae this year too, even the ones that have no storm drains have had some algae they normally don't. A wierd brown algae that grows on the bottom, and floats to the top with hair like things in it. Michigan weather just wasn't normal, I'm so angry that the Summer of Fun did not have the weather it should have. Too much rain early on, no spring and look at summer in the 50's at night in July and August? I feel robbed.

2cat,
Your description of the weird brown algae pretty well describes mine also. Don't recall seeing this type before and just doesn't want to go away, even with treatment. I've also had the typical FA that floats in mats, but this other type seems to be more of the problem. I agree this was the summer that wasn't!! And according to the forecast it appears to be the summer that went!!

By the way, your signature pretty well describes the way my wife thinks I believe!!!

Brian S.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
time to unpack the parkas! I'll get my ice fishing rod!

I am going to try to rake the last of the gunk off of the surface. I also have the brown stuff on the bottom.

Brian
Retired Coach

Lunker
Lunker
It will be impossible to keep my tan up for the conference, really makes me mad, this is crappy isn't it?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I wish I could go to the conference. It is in the middle of my football season. I hope the next one is at a different time of year.

Brian
Retired Coach

Lunker
Lunker
I think we need the Michigan Contingent all together at the conference, don't you? Well, this is sad: how can the summer be over, I can't stand it! It is 64 for the high and going down to 47 tonight - this is just not fair! I hope we don't cancel our last lake treatment, I won't be able to say goodbye to the BOS.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I would take 47 tonight, 43 predicted here and 40 tomorrow night!! Thank goodness for global warming!!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I think we should have a michigan area pond boss meeting somewhere. Maybe Brighton. Easy to get to. We could choose a time mid winter.

Brian
Retired Coach

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You can have our heat... I think we are finally gonna get a break from it tomorrow.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I just made a new post with some pictures of what I think is my algae problem!! Some new kind I don't recall seeing before. Usually just the FA strings and chunks that float and removed with a yard rake. The rake does remove this, but it does seem to break up and leave some floating. Sure would like to know how to get rid of it!!

A Michigan pond meeting of the minds would probably be a good thing! I live halfway between Port Huron and Flint. Seems there is always something new very year to figure out!!

Lunker
Lunker
Brian S:
I live in Troy. I don't see any photos? Do you have a pool skimmer? I can't live without mine.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: 2catmom
Brian S:
I live in Troy. I don't see any photos? Do you have a pool skimmer? I can't live without mine.

2cat,
The photos are in another post. The title is Algae Identification and Control and is in the same forum that we are in now, "Controlling unwanted plants". Should be three photos showing the algae I am having my problems with. Let us know you find it??

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday