Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,942
Posts557,766
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,502
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
2 members (Theo Gallus, Foozle), 735 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I have this type of algae this summer in my pond here in Michigan. I can get rid of it with Copper Sulfate, but it just keeps coming back in a few days. It slows it down, but doesn't seem to kill it. I don't recall seeing this before, I guess it's algae. It looks like foam even when removed from the pond as in this picture. Throughout my pond there are hundreds of little pieces of this also I believe, they kind of remind me of little cyclones floating. Can anyone tell me what this is and how I can rid myself of it??

Last edited by Brian S.; 08/30/09 09:20 PM.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I have had some of the same thing. mine does not smell and feels like wet felt.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Any ideas if it's even a form of algae?? It is forming in cloud like areas around the edges of my pond, mostly in shallow waters. Definitely bright green like algae.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It's algae... What exact species, I am not sure. If anyone would know, I'll put my money on Bill Cody.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Man it's really growing fast again. Guess I'm going to try some granular copper sulfate as it will sink down to come in direct contact. Did some raking this afternoon and my blisters are back on my hands!! Half done and by the time I go back in the morning I'll probably have to redu some of what I did today. Boy a pool is looking pretty good right now!!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Superficially it looks like Cladophora (coarse wooly algae) which grows well when phosphorus is at higher levels. A local algal professor calls it a phosphorus hog.
I don't suggest you add copper sulfate as granules. That is an improper way to apply it resulting in waste, requiring way more than necessary, and sinking granules does not give efficient distribution of the chemical to effictively kill the vertical growing filaments. Granules on bottom only effectively treat a very small diameter at each granule and only at the basal portion of each filament. Dissolved copper quickly gets chemically bound before reaching any distance above sediment. For effective kill You want even coverage over as much of the entire vertical filament as possible, not just at the bottom. For bottom growth it is best to use: 1. The largest granules you can find (best 1/4"-1/2 nuggets, slowest dissolving), 2. Divide dosage into several applications, thus making less last longer befoer all is disolved. 3. use a fine porus bag or sac holding the CuSO4 with a few larger stones for weight to quickly drag among the algae for maximum distribution of dissolved chemical.

Copper is a heavy metal and stable in the environment. It never goes away or deterioriates in the sediment. Build up of copper can occur over time, sediments get saturated (high accumulation) and over time cause chemical/biological problems in the sediment habitat or biota. Copper is on at least 3 government agency lists as a hazardous chemical. IMO it is not the best chemical to use as a algacide if one is concerned about the overall longterm health of an ecosystem.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/01/09 08:31 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I don't think Bill got close enough to his computer screen...do a search for Hydrodictyon, also called water net. Take Bill's suggestion about copper sulfate very seriously. I've seen a lot of ponds acquire some major issues when bombarded with copper sulfate year after year. A nice mixture of Cutrine, Hydrothol 191, and cide kick II will usually kill this plant. Be careful with the Hydrothol.....a little dab will do you. Shawn

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
The stuff looks kinda neat. You can sure see the net-like structure to it.

Excellent pictures Brian S.!!

May not be the Wooly Mammoth stuff, but Dr. Perca's warning about the copper was worth reading again!

Lunker
Lunker
Those are great photos and great advice. Would that algae make nice compost for the garden I wonder, I bet it would.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Shawn Banks
I don't think Bill got close enough to his computer screen...do a search for Hydrodictyon, also called water net. Take Bill's suggestion about copper sulfate very seriously. I've seen a lot of ponds acquire some major issues when bombarded with copper sulfate year after year. A nice mixture of Cutrine, Hydrothol 191, and cide kick II will usually kill this plant. Be careful with the Hydrothol.....a little dab will do you. Shawn

Shawn,
I have approximately a 1/3 acre pond. What "mixture" of Cutrine, Hydrothol, and Cidekick would you recommend for me?? I have already treated my pond with 40lb of Hydrothol for a pondweed problem about 2 months ago. And have put in 4 gallons of copper sulfate since then. I can get these things chemicals at a local farm store, just curious how much you would recommend. And with the Cutrine and Hydrothol are these liquid or granular?? Thanks for any advice!!

Bill,
Thanks for chiming in and giving your sable advice!!

2cat,
I would have no soil if I put all this on my garden! I'd plant seeds in algae.

Last edited by Brian S.; 09/02/09 08:13 AM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Check on replacing the Hydrothol with Aquathol in Shawn's suggestion. Works the same but without the probable negative side effects on the system.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/18/24 06:14 AM
How many LMB to remove?
by Foozle - 04/18/24 05:59 AM
Opportunistic Munchers
by Snipe - 04/17/24 11:25 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by Steve Clubb - 04/17/24 11:18 PM