Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, esshup, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 811 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#180405 08/25/09 02:07 PM
G
go big Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Hello,

Would it be feasable to try to dig a 40 by 40 pond 7 feet deep with a mini excavator? I know it isn't ideal but would it work? I can rent one for cheap so it would be economicl. This excavaotor would have a 24 inch bucket.

Cecil, your ponds are small, how did you dig yours?

Thanks

go big #180409 08/25/09 02:44 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
You are going to have to excavate at least 300 cubic yards of dirt. If you have a way to move the dirt around efficiently it should only take a few days.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think it depends on how large the mini-excavator actually is. But, I think your project very feasible. Like Chris says, you just need a way to move the dirt once you dig it out of the ground.

I have friend who has done a lot of work at my place with a Kubota compact excavator. It has about a 20-foot digging radius, and can dig about 12 feet down. It is amazing how fast he can dig with that thing. He also has a reasonably large skid steer and a dump truck. Between the three pieces of equipment, he and his dad can move an incredible amount of dirt in a day.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
go big Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
the excavator i would most likely use is a Bobcat 331. Fairly large compact excavator with a 30 inch bucket. Yes moving the dirt is always a problem but I have a FEL that could be used.

go big #180949 08/29/09 11:33 AM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
The front bucket on the tractor is about the last resort for moving large quantities of dirt. It will get it done in time, but it puts allot of strain on your loader and driveline. Most compact tractors are not really designed for serious dirt moving, but more towards pulling and PTO type stuff on smaller acerage. I would guess that every hour you put on your tractor moving dirt will be equal to three hours of normal use!!!

Of course, having the tractor means you can do it at your leasure, but if you remove 300 yards, and your loader is 1/3 a yard, that's 900 trips to where you plan on dumping the dirt. How far is it and how rough is the road? Is it level driving or will you be on an angle?

Another consideration is that by starting digging in the middle, you will be piling up the dirt where you will have to dig again. That dirt will have to be removed before you can dig in that spot.

The best thing would be to either buy an older dump truck, rent one or hire it out. Load the dump truck and then dump it. This way you are only handling the dirt once, you are moving it efficitently and once moved, it's done.

I do this with my backhoe. I dig with the hoe bucket and load it into my 5 yard dumptruck. While it's a slow process, I've moved over 200 yards in a day a quarter mile from where I'm digging without too much trouble.

Digging is easy, the real challenge is in moving the dirt that you dig!!!!!

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
G
go big Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
hi eddie, yes dirt is annoying but the FEL is fairly good and the tractor is of fair horsepower. Also i don't have to move the dirt far at all(only 50 feet) so it shouldn't be to hard on the loader. I will be building a dam with the dirt.

go big #180979 08/29/09 02:46 PM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Then that should be just about right for your tractor. Dump the dirt, back drag it and drive over it with the next load. Try to always drive over a different spot and really work it together. By adding small amounts of dirt every time and spreading it out, then driving over it, you will get really good compaction!!!!!

Good luck,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
The fastest cycles with your loader will be achieved by dumping going forward and spreading the dirt with the bucket in the dumped position and not back dragging it. Basically you want your load at the proper height so that when you dump, your bucket cutting edge is at the grade you desire and you can push the material in front of you carrying grade as you go. It takes a bit of practice to be proficient at it but once practiced you will be able to easily and consitently carry grade this way and as you are backing up you can return your bucket to a digging position and be ready to load again. Another thought is to rent a track loader to dig your pond, this way you only have to use one machine (someone elses) to dig it and build your dam. IMHO a good track loader with a skilled operator is often more useful than a bulldozer.

JoeG #181052 08/30/09 11:38 AM
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Lots of good ideas.. Try something and if it does not work try something else.

If you where moving a lot more dirt I would be worried about how long it took to do. But with 300 yards-- if it takes one day or a day and a half so be it. Like the gang said be sure it is packed and ----- have some fun.

otto #182440 09/08/09 08:56 AM
H
Fingerling
Fingerling
H
You got to be kidding me are most of you on here contractors Why would you not just hire a good dozer man

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Hello hiramabiff and welcome to Pond Boss. As an answer to your questions:

1. No most of us here are not contractors. However Go big is getting advice from folks that have quite a bit of experience in building ponds. Eddie Walker is a contractor and built a beautiful pond of his own. Otto is a contractor considered one of the best pond builders known to man, read some of JoeG's threads and you'll realize he has plenty of experience building ponds, Chris Steelman also has plenty of experience building ponds as well.

2. Some folks like to do things themselves, sometimes for economic reasons, other times just because they have the time and some equipment and want to give it a try.

When folks ask for advice, then advice is given.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Welcome aboard-hiramabiff

300 hundred yards of dirt would take about 2 or 3 hours with a dozer guy-unless he is on site or next door it would cost more to move one in than do the work.
Also 300 yards has got to be in a very space maybe not enough room.

otto #275666 12/18/11 02:10 PM
I
I
I agree that moving the dirt after digging the pond will be the most work, especially if you are renting equipment. I really like mini excavators for projects like this. They are compact and more versatile than the larger version. For moving the dirt, have you considered using wheel loaders? This might be an option at your rental store for a relatively cheap price.

Last edited by inthedirt; 12/19/11 06:42 PM.
J
J
Hi Guys, I'm brand new to the forum, and am I ever glad that it exists! I've just read through a few posts, and am realizing just how valuable all of you are. I know I'll be asking a lot of questions at the start, but I'm hoping I can share my experience here as time goes on, and help others!
I'm looking at digging a pond of about 3/4 of an acre. I've read through this post, and realize that my pond is bigger than the 40 X 40 pond mentioned in this thread. Would a pond of 1/2 - 3/4 acre still be feasible to dig with a mini excavator and a 5 yard dump truck? I'm planning on using the excavated material to build up the sides of the pond. I want the center of the pond to be 12 feet deep, but have it gradually slope up, in sort of a "soup bowl" fashion. I'm also planning on building a house, and a driveway, and trenching in power, so I'm wondering if a mini excavator would be the right toy for the job.
All input is TOTALLY appreciated.
Cheers,
J

Jayzonk #286392 04/01/12 11:39 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum!

If you owned it, and had lots of time on your hands, it would work for getting the dirt out of the hole. But, I think it'd take a lot of time. You'd need other equipment to compact the pond basin, and something to help contour the bottom.

The mini excavators don't have a large bucket, so it'd take a while to fill even the 5 yd dump truck.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #286419 04/02/12 07:33 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A 3/4 acre pond may be a little ambitious with a mini-excavator, but it certainly can be done, especially with a dump truck. A good friend of mine has a medium size Kubota excavator, and that thing sure can move a lot of dirt. Typically, he and his dad work in tandem. He will dig with the excavator and pile up the excavated dirt. His dad will use a skid-steer to load the dump truck. The excavator can usually out dig what can be loaded and hauled a short distance in the dump truck.

Also -- welcome to Pond Boss.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
V
Lunker
Lunker
V
Anything is possible, with any equipment, with enough time. I could have hired someone to build my .2 acre pond, but I wanted to do it myself. With a large backhoe (The same one as Eddie Walker has) I dug and moved the dirt. It took me two months, but I like being able to say I did it. And like Eddie said, the digging is easy, moving the dirt takes a LONG time.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I used a 331 bobcat to dig my septic with and my leech lines. It had a 2 foot bucket on it. Not a bad little machine. I dug a 8x8 hole 7 feet deep in a couple of hours. Course I was been more careful towards the end and I had never used one before. I dont think I would take on a 1/2 acre pond with one though let alone a 3/4 acre pond. That's just me though.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy