Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas
18,511 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,983
Posts558,188
Members18,512
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
11 members (Jambi, Boondoggle, geauxbrown, Brian from Texas, oldgeekinnc, DPSMESA, RAH, DerekG, shooterlurespond, SSJSayajin, andrew davis), 1,048 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1788 05/04/06 08:13 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I did a little searching of the forum to see if a comprehensive collection of input already existed. I found bits and pieces interjected into more generalized seeding threads. Recently, Ryan Freeze noted use of rental equip to do hydroseeding; this is intriguing. I am looking at seeding a whole buncha new pond perimeter and dam. Most of the general manual seeding techniques and trix have been discussed, but I would like to see some experienced focus on hydroseeding...particularly DIY. Any hydroseed players out there?

#1789 05/04/06 09:29 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Grettski, in my younger days, I was quite familiar with hydroponics, and proper grass seed selection, but I can't help ya on the hydroseedin ? Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
#1790 05/05/06 08:38 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Takes some practice, novices usually go too thick. Need a 3/4 ton truck to haul the machine. Materials are about 2-3 times for the slurrey mix but you probably won't get better results by other methods

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
#1791 05/05/06 12:51 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Brettski, this may not be much help to you, but in my case I had a total of almost 3 acres seeded for about $2k including all areas around pond. I looked at renting equip., and what all goes into the mixes to do it right (fertilized and dyed newspaper product, seed (erosion mix grasses, wildflowers), binder, and a seed starter product). When I considered all the places I needed to go and the time involved to get all the stuff, the fact I'd be paying retail for it all, and the time to get it all set up and learn proper mix ratios, and actually do the work, guess what my solution was? I got 4 bids from local companies, chose one, and it got done in two working days. All I did was point, help move a few hoses, and write a check, and my back thanked me. I could also get back to work sooner earning back the money I spent.

Intriguing story about the guy I hired....his true profession is rodeo clown. He uses hydroseeding to sponsor his gigs.

In the end, I was real glad I went that way. It turned out beautiful.

GSF are people too!

#1792 05/05/06 07:18 PM
Z
Lunker
Lunker
Z
Brettski,
Hired a seeder to seed about 20 blocks of ditches on a street job. He used hydro seeding. He also knew it was a gauranteed stand. He did ok but it didn't rain for some time and the grass died on about half of the project. I had to have grass established to collect retainage on the job and this was a problem.
The seeder was working on his church and would not get it reseeded. I ended up roto tilling, seeding and mulching by hand, and watering with water truck to get a stand.

Make it look easy,
http://zhkent.com
#1793 05/10/06 11:29 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Rented a Truax grass drill this past weekend to plant 2 acre of native (prairie) grasses. Guys at the Conservation Board maintenance shed told me not to add water to the seed boxes...last lady to rent the thing thought she could try that "hydroseeding" thing with this drill...I don't think she was real familiar with the whole concept...8^)

In a lifetime, the average driver will honk 15,250 times. My wife figures I'm due to die any day now...

#1794 07/08/06 07:59 AM
M
M
I am a retired engineer and recently purchased a small hydroseeder that pulls behind a 4-wheeler (ATV). It was designed for golf courses to do patch work, but it works really well for me to establish wildlife food plots, and will work for seeding the pond I am about to construct. I have some small equipment (bulldozer , backhoe, etc) and I am considering doing a bit of wildlife habitat establishment for a few other landowners. I can give you info on the hydroseeder if you contact me.

As you probably already know, watering is critical, even if the hydroseed mix includes gel for water retention. But if you are putting in a pond, you may have an advantage for watering.

#1795 07/09/06 07:19 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
i 2nd motion for a Truax seeder. i have the 8' drop seeder. you should be able to access almost everywhere with tractor and seeder on open dam dirt work site. timing, what are you looking at?

mickey, who makes your small hydroseeder?

#1796 07/19/06 11:04 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Will the Truax do larger seed such as sunflower and peas for foodplots as well as grass? Also, will it plant through dead fescue that has been sprayed?

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
#1797 07/19/06 11:31 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brettski:
I did a little searching of the forum to see if a comprehensive collection of input already existed. I found bits and pieces interjected into more generalized seeding threads. Recently, Ryan Freeze noted use of rental equip to do hydroseeding; this is intriguing. I am looking at seeding a whole buncha new pond perimeter and dam. Most of the general manual seeding techniques and trix have been discussed, but I would like to see some experienced focus on hydroseeding...particularly DIY. Any hydroseed players out there?
Brettski,

I'm weighing in on your thread a little late....and probably some dollars short. Hope you don't mind.

Here's a different thought. You need a small utility tractor for Liberty. You can deny, avoid it, use other stuff, but you need a small utility tractor of about 20 to 25 hp, (diesel vastly superior and Kubota makes terrific ones.) Might as well bite the bullet. \:\)

When/if you purchase the tractor, get a spreader attachment. Mine holds about three bushels of seed and can do the job you need in minutes and far more effectively than other alternatives. I only use it once or so a year to seed Rye/oats/wheat/clover etc. for deer and wildlife, but it is invaluable. Cost me less than $300 and will last 30 years or more with little care.

Now, after the shock of buying the tractor, there's also some other implements/attachments that you also need...you can run from this need but you can't hide. ;\)

#1798 07/19/06 05:10 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
ML, that was a nice approach....i think i'm going to share it w/ Mrs. Smith.

I've been real close to pullin trigger on ~30 hp Kubota, and my only feedback has been

i kinda did promise her :rolleyes: that after pond was done, i'd turn my attention to house issues (i.e. siding, roofing)

GSF are people too!

#1799 07/19/06 05:22 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Who needs a roof when you can sleep on your Kubota?

Frank

Book Owner and Magazine Subscriber 3 acre pond central GA
#1800 07/19/06 05:25 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
good point Frank, I better make sure to get a canopy on it \:D

GSF are people too!

#1801 07/19/06 06:10 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
ML, those seeders don't last 30 years unless you ease them down to the ground with the PTO. I busted the gear housing on mine by just letting it drop. The tractor repair place said a lot of people do that on their first one. Oh yeah, I did buy another one.

I use mine to spread wheat seed in the fall. I also load it with corn and salt the roads throughout my place during hunting season. The guy on the adjoining place doesn't like that idea.

BTW, buy a little bit bigger tractor than you think you will need. I can't believe I went for years without a front end loader. Of course a loader is pretty useless without 4wd. Box blades are handy as an extra pocket.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
#1802 07/19/06 06:51 PM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
My vote is for John Deere. My 65 hp will do anything from pulling a mold board plow through rocky ground, 10' bush hog up hills that barely get traction, etc. The Kubotas are great machines but I think JD holds it's value and for the most part they are " Made in America". Mine runs qand stays great!

I try to support our manufacturing base here unless the difference is overwhelming- which i have yet to find in most products where we still have capacity.

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
#1803 07/19/06 06:58 PM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
ML, that was a nice approach....i think i'm going to share it w/ Mrs. Smith.

I've been real close to pullin trigger on ~30 hp Kubota, and my only feedback has been

i kinda did promise her :rolleyes: that after pond was done, i'd turn my attention to house issues (i.e. siding, roofing)
DIED,
Farm machinery makes great anniversary presents! A big ole' tractor shows off a beautiful woman much more than an itty bitty one carat diamond. Then demonstrate how it will help with HER projects. ;\)

Roofing: Try getting shingles up to a 1st floor roof by hand. Then try again using a front end loader. \:\)

Siding: Left as an exercise for the student.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#1804 07/19/06 07:22 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
LOL Theo....she's a good woman ....and she is Scottish, bless her little frugal heart.......her financial diligence has gotten us this far, and D.I.E.D. is patient.

BTW, if i did buy her diamond in jewelry she'd kill me, if i bought her a diamond still sitting on the kimberlite host rock (mineral specimen) she'd ask me to marry all over again...

thanks for the aside.....back to hydroseeding....

Brettski, I'd still probably bid out for the large areas (God Bless ya if you still want to DIY). I like ML's idea a lot, Amen to personal tractor for maintenance and other small projects down the road, you'll have a lot to do.

GSF are people too!

#1805 07/19/06 07:36 PM
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
just another quick thought.....what would you do for H2O? is there a well on property? might there be enough in pond bottom to pump into hydroseed supply tank?....the process will use quite a bit of water.

guy i used had about a 300 gallon tank and he went through at least 10 of em for about 3 acres...dont remember exactly.

GSF are people too!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
What made this noise?
by shooterlurespond - 05/03/24 02:02 PM
Drain it to clear it?
by Boondoggle - 05/03/24 01:53 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by andrew davis - 05/03/24 01:00 PM
Do fish help with clarity?