Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 719 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Sgt911 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
I have some areas overun with medium sized Post Oaks...I wanted to use a tree spade to move a few to fill in some spots..Is it true that a Post Oak is the one tree you cannot move?

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Come to the conference and I'll give you several hundred!!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Most oak species are a trick to transplant because they have a very deep tap root. If you do attempt to move them, wait until winter when they have gone formant and try to get as deep as possible to limit the risk of damage to the tap root. If you whack it, the tree will most likely die.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I don't know how large medium sized is but if a wild tree is over 1" in diameter it's going to be pretty hard to successfully transplant. I've transplanted 4 & 5" shallow rooted trees like dogwoods successfully. The secret is never let the soil get dry for a year after transplanting.
If you have the time & patients you can spade around the tree trimming the roots & then let it go through 1 growing season before transplanting.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
S
Sgt911 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: Ric Swaim
I don't know how large medium sized is but if a wild tree is over 1" in diameter it's going to be pretty hard to successfully transplant. I've transplanted 4 & 5" shallow rooted trees like dogwoods successfully. The secret is never let the soil get dry for a year after transplanting.
If you have the time & patients you can spade around the tree trimming the roots & then let it go through 1 growing season before transplanting.

10-15' tall and about 5-8" across...I have a ton of them in a wooded area ..

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Id try it.Make sure you get as big a rootball as possible.Also,you might talk to a local nursery for more advice.And dont forget to water,often.Im watering fruittrees and the only green grass in my hole yard is circles 6-10 foot around my trees.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I think you would be fine since you are using a tree spade. I was at University of Houston in the '90's when they transplanted some big 14" live oaks that were 40' tall and they lived fine. Came in the tree spade that dug them out. Remember that most of the root system goes out to the drip line so a crown thinning may be needed to reduce water loss, and a drip irrigation system will go a long ways to helping them through the shock. You may want to check with the people on the Forestry Forum or Arboristsite.com since a lot of them work with trees as a living.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sgt911, I haven't had much luck with Post oaks.. If you change the grade around an established one by just 2", they can die. They're kind of like sheep..They are looking for a reason to die. That's why no one grows them in the nurseries. Shumard Red Oaks and Live Oaks are easier to transplant. But, if you have a bunch for free, I'd pick on the small ones(3" caliper) and good luck..du

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I agree with david u the smaller ones will be easier to work with. If you have a piece of equipment like this-> http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/tree_spade it was make the job a lot easier!

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
I have transplanted pin oaks and red oaks with great success. I have heard many other oaks can be a challenge though. I injured the tap root every time I dug one, but I bathed the roots in a rooting hormone (no idea if that helped or not) and made sure to replant without bending the tap root (very important with all trees), and they recovered quite well. Don't let them go a day without moist roots for the first year though.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Post oaks aren't trees, they're weeds. I sprayed some with Remedy and diesel last Spring. On the second try, I really hosed them about 16 inches up from the ground. Only the small ones were killed.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Post oaks aren't trees, they're weeds. I sprayed some with Remedy and diesel last Spring. On the second try, I really hosed them about 16 inches up from the ground. Only the small ones were killed.

So, it's "Take my Post Oaks ... Please!" ?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We can cut a deal on live oaks. Come and get them. I probably net out over 150 acres of them. Any market for acorns?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Any market for acorns?

They're called "mast", DD. In states other than Texas, where deer don't live underneath feeders, they are considered important for venison production. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
DD1 if you are serious about live oaks I have a close friend that will proably be interested he moves,grows, and plants trees for a living. His take on post oaks is don't bother they want live. Cut them and make fire wood if you want to remove them. In heavy areas many times a post oak tree is just another extension of the larger tree next to it. They grow from the roots of other trees.

I always thought I had wooded acreage then Daves come along and I just have a lot full of weeds.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
RT, just try to kill the darn things. They are double tough. If I use a chain saw, they come back up from the stump in a really ugly mess. However, they certainly beat trying to raise cotton.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass