Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#179487 08/18/09 03:33 PM
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I figure its time to see if the YP, BG or BC had a decent spawn this past spring and figured Id first try a minnow trap. With that said, what are some good baits for those 3 species that will attract them into the trap, a prior attempt 4-5 weeks ago with my PGFC in fine mesh bag, attracted only a dozen tadpoles.

Thanks, Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Mark Blauvelt - Dayton Ohio
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.75 acre pond, HSB,YP,CC,BC,BCF,BG,HBG,RES
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have never been able to catch more than a handful of BC in a minnow trap. They just don't seem to like entering them. YP and BG will enter traps baited with what ever fish food you're feeding, if you feed. Also, dry dog food or one of my favorites, canned cat good that is fish based will bring them in. Even bread will work. If you don't get the results you are looking for with the minnow trap may I recommend you try using a beach seine? They are anywhere from 50' to 100' in length. Usually 4' tall but sometimes 6' tall. If you have a sandy beach, or other flat area with no obstructions, run the seine in that area. You'll typically get a great idea of what YOY did well in your pond...

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Beef Liver. ;\)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Definitely another good idea...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Another thing you can do is illuminate the water near your pier some night. Young perch and bluegill are phototactic and will be drawn to the light, and so will their food source zooplankton. Even laying on the pier with flashlight pointing into the water may do the trick if that's all you have.

I use light to concentrate both species to feed train them. It especially works well with yellow perch.

See this link for a short video of bluegill under my feed training light. I can post a link for perch under my feed training light if you wish.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=176430&fpart=3

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Cecil, have you ever used one of those submersible green lights to attract the fish? I use them when fishing and they are awesome! In both fresh and saltwater... The size of schools of shad and menhaden you get swimming around your late is amazing, especially on or near a new moon.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Cecil, have you ever used one of those submersible green lights to attract the fish? I use them when fishing and they are awesome! In both fresh and saltwater... The size of schools of shad and menhaden you get swimming around your late is amazing, especially on or near a new moon.

Sure have. Using any lights (we mostly used gas lanterns with tinfoil to direct the light) it was amazing what we would see sometimes over the side of the boat. Later on we realized using submersible lights made for less insects and less of a hangover like headache the next morning. I've also used the floating headlight deals but the connections were usually of poor quality.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It's how I collect bait for catfishing and stripers. Put the green light out just after dark and the shad and menhaden come in. A few zings of the cast net and you're ready to fish. Also is great for crappies and trout, heck most fish I think. Adult YP are not night feeders though, at least IME... Have you found that to be different for you?

M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
COOL VIDEO AND Ill give them a try, my minnow buckt got 1 -2.5" YOY Bluegill today so I was pretty pumped about that!! I left it in and will check it again in a little while, I still have some fish on nests right now.

Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
M
Mark B Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok, i just checked my trap again and at first thought, it looked empty but then I saw a little bugger flipping in it and so I took a picture!

MY new PB!!!
Salmonid

Have fish..Will Travel
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
It's how I collect bait for catfishing and stripers. Put the green light out just after dark and the shad and menhaden come in. A few zings of the cast net and you're ready to fish. Also is great for crappies and trout, heck most fish I think. Adult YP are not night feeders though, at least IME... Have you found that to be different for you?

I have caught yellow perch in the pond icefishing with a lantern on the ice or sitting on the edge of the pier in early spring. Not sure if I would really call that night feeding at it creates an illusion of daylight to some extent.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM