Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
? Or is the rain going where it's not needed?

My dad I and were just discussing the dearth of tropical storms in the Atlantic this year and lo and behold I go to the NWS and find there are four in the works. My dad's name is Bill and the biggest baddest one is Bill.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
No not from Claudette but saturday afternoon we had a 20% chance of rain and a thunderstorm made up and dumped 6" in about 45 min. So all my ponds are more than full.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We had 40 percent chance of thunderstorms last night and got up to 10 inches of rain within 30 miles of us. Not sure what I got here as I keep forgetting to put up the rain gauge, but it did rain continuously on and off for hours.

We needed the rain though and I'm sure the farmers are happy.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am curious what route Claudette will take now that it is inland...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

10" within 30 miles?? Dang! Where? I checked my rain gauge this a.m. and it showed a whopping 1/4". I think that's the total for this month so far here as well!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

10" within 30 miles?? Dang! Where? I checked my rain gauge this a.m. and it showed a whopping 1/4". I think that's the total for this month so far here as well!

Warsaw.

There was a training effect of thunderstorms but I guess you were out of the loop. It's pouring again here right now. Don't loose hope, there is a stationary front approaching and you could still get drenched if it stalls in the right place.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/17/09 04:17 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I am curious what route Claudette will take now that it is inland...

TROPICAL DEPRESSION CLAUDETTE WILL WEAKEN AS IT CONTINUES ITS
TRACK NORTHWESTWARD THROUGH MISSISSIPPI. THE CENTER OF CLAUDETTE
IS EXPECTED TO MOVE OVER EASTERN MISSISSIPPI ON MONDAY EVENING.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Well, you all have fun with that! Maybe Bill will show us easterners his love in the next couple weeks...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well, you all have fun with that! Maybe Bill will show us easterners his love in the next couple weeks...

Yeah Bill would concern me a little if I was in your area. On the other hand with five days out it could get pushed out.

They say one of these days NYC is going to take a direct hit of a 3 or higher like New Orleans.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/17/09 04:42 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, I was living on Long Island, NY when Hurricane Gloria rolling through in '85. That was the last hurricane to hit the NYC area and it was only a Cat 1. I can't imagine what a Cat 2 or 3 would do to that area! My dad on the Chesapeake has been hit by the remnants of a few hurricanes, but nothing too bad. The winds and or tides seemed to always be in his favor when it came to flooding.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
If that happens I hope NYC gets moved to New Jersey.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Before my twin and I went off to college in '76' we decided to drive from Indiana to Massachusetts for a vacation where we used to live as kids. Anyway, I call that the vacation from hell for lots of reasons. Mainly that we were camping in a pup tent when a hurricane was scheduled to come ashore. Of course the fact that my brother nearly totaled the car taking train pictures in the bad part of town, and we were detained temporarily due to looking similar to two criminals on the loose didn't help.

Anyway the hurricane is scheduled to come ashore and we were told we had to leave. A kid who worked at the camp invited us to his house to ride out the hurricane. Little did we know he and his buddy decided to have a hurricane party which consisted of a pot party. Neither my brother or I partook but we did get high from the second hand smoke. But we couldn't go outside! I can honestly say I didn't purposely inhale like a certain someone in politics alledged.

Fortunately the hurricane did not go ashore and we ended up getting home with a car that had it's brights permanently on. Do you know how many people will flash their brights at you on an 850 mile trip?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Cecil, I will say this... You have got the have some of the craziest stories ever! That one is a true classic.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
When will we get to read the book. ;\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm back from the auction, and now the raingauge is showing a total of 1/2". My buddy from Bremen called and he had 2.5" while Wakarusa had around 4".

Just as well, I don't have the hay bales staked out yet!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I'm back from the auction, and now the raingauge is showing a total of 1/2". My buddy from Bremen called and he had 2.5" while Wakarusa had around 4".

Just as well, I don't have the hay bales staked out yet!

We're getting thunderstorm after thunderstorm here tonight. Looks like a repeat of last night.

I may have been wrong on the 10 inches in Warsaw. That is what my wife was told at school, but my parents heard on the news it was only 5 inches.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
When will we get to read the book. ;\)

You really thing the stories are of interest?

Several years back the wife was in Germany on a student exchange program and it was the dog and I on a camping/fishing trip to Massachusetts again. (I have a blast fishing for bluegills there as the locals consider them trashfish). Trouble was even though the tent was brand new and water proof we didn't get much fishing in due to the rain. I don't remember what year it was but they had an all time record rainfall where I had my tent pitched. 18 inches over a period of several days. The dog even refused to go out to do her thing. I got a little scared on the fifth day when a stream was forming under the tent and the lake seems a lot closer than it used to be! \:o

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You know Cecil, I'd offer to meet you up in Mass. then next time you got out that way to fish, but heck with the luck you have on your trips, that may be a scary proposition!

D
dap Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Esshup,

Just under 1 1/2 inches here in plymouth. I down almost 4 feet. Any amounts gotta help.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
dap:

I'll be going to Warsaw tomorrow, I'll swing by the house on Redwood to see what fell there. The storm that came thru here around 9:00 p.m. dropped 5/8". Total for the past 24 hr was a hair over an inch.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You know Cecil, I'd offer to meet you up in Mass. then next time you got out that way to fish, but heck with the luck you have on your trips, that may be a scary proposition!

I could show you some bluegill fishing out of this world if you meet me next June! The locals just sneer at them. A fly rod on the beds is like I've died and went to heaven! Scenery is awesome too! It would be interesting to have some law enforcement along too.

Have you ever heard of Quabbin reservoir in the middle of the state? It's 25,000 acres and know for lake trout and smallmouth bass. A little known secret is the bluegills! Big and plentiful on the beds in Area 3. Not one touches them.

Anyway they closed Quabbin for a 6 weeks this year according to a friend. They were checking for zebra mussels that have shown up in a small lake in the Berkshires (Laural Lake). Quabbin supplies drinking water to Boston via an underground aquaduct. They were terrified if they got started they could start clogging the aquaduct. Fortunately none were found.

If my memory serves me correct Laural is a lake that is quite Alkaline and hard vs. Quabbin. Hard water is not common in Massachusetts. Hopefully the mussels can't survive in Quabbin due to the soft water.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I don't know beans about Massachusetts' lakes but I certainly wouldn't mind learning! HAHA You let me know when in June and I just may be able to sneak up there. Enough advanced notice and I can easily get off work. The big question is will the fiancee be down with me rolling out for a week a month before our wedding... Sounds like my kind of fishing though!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??