Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Thanks Cecil.

Night number 2 (no pun intended) went better. We located the pups to the garage with their individual dog cages.

Got up at 2:30 AM to take them out to "get busy." One pee-ed and the other ended up dumping but not in the right place.

My wife went down and spent some more time with them, and they were fine.

I'm sure they are anxious about the new surroundings. It happens to people too!

Make sure you take them to the same place every time on a lease and they will learn where it is acceptable to go.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/08/09 06:13 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Thanks Cecil.

...Got up at 2:30 AM to take them out to "get busy." One pee-ed and the other ended up dumping but not in the right place...

Thanks alot, Cecil. We can all kiss our invitation to see Sunil's new crib goodbye.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Thanks Cecil.

...Got up at 2:30 AM to take them out to "get busy." One pee-ed and the other ended up dumping but not in the right place...

Thanks alot, Cecil. We can all kiss our invitation to see Sunil's new crib goodbye.

I'm sure it's funny Brettski but I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you expound a little for those of us that are slow?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Sunil,

Lager & Ale or Ale & Lager would be good depending on their personalities.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
While the doo-doo/voo-doo area training continues, I think I've seen one of the funniest things in my life.

Both dogs play a lot together in the back yard, kind of like WWF but more slow motion-like.

They took a break and I could tell that the blonde one was sniffing around to "chamber a round" so to speak.

I had no leash nearby and then the red one started thinking he might do the same.

I started trying to heard them both the the Voo-Doo Zone. I was kind of running parallel to the blonde dog who was about 15' away, and the red dog was about 15' behind the blonde dog and running also.

Then I saw it. They both stopped and rotated 45 degrees on axis.

And bamb! Synchronized Pooping.

We were 20' shy of the Voo-Doo Zone.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
"Synchronized Pooping". Somehow I just don't see that becoming a event at the Westminster Dog show.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
when you can get them to carry the batons with the long flowing ribbons, we'll be gold medal bound...

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I doubt that we will ever do it again. One the last 2 that we have had, the end wasn't what I want to go through again.

Our most recent was a half Pomeranian and 100% lousy dog. It hated men and Kids. But it liked women and it became a part of my Wife's life. It growled and snapped at the Grandkids and actually bit me once. Funny thing; when one Granddaughter "grew up" it started getting along with her. Don't ask because I don't know. If it got free, I had to spend hours hunting for it. And yet, at the end, after I had spent 5 or 6 thousand bucks at the vet, it hurt to put it down.

I now get my dog fix by boarding my Grandsons half Shepard and half fence jumper when they go out of town. When they return, I kinda miss Good Old Bear being around.

Dave did you write "Marly and ME" I just saw that show and it is exactly like your story.

The last thing the dog lady said as see handed us our new highly bred bloodline cattle dog pup (now none as Ranger you will see him in alomost every picture I post on here) was "You'll have your hands full with this one". Truer words have never been spoken.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Losing a dog is like losing a family member! My lab is of field line genetics and has more energy than the Energizer Bunny! She's completely crazed about birds, retrieving and water and if she hasn't been out for a run in a couple days she'll let you know it.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Sunil,

I would pay big bucks to get a video of you and the dogs doing the "Voo-Doo" Run. Great fun.............years of memories!

P.S. Do you have any pix of the dogs awake?

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
P.S.S. I almost forgot....................did get out of Petsmart for under $500? Good looking mallard toy ..... it's quite the quacker! My dogs love it!

20 acres of trees & 3/4 acre pond.

"Home of the future Texas state HSB record for Private ponds"
BarO #167650 06/09/09 08:13 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Sunil Congratulations and God Bless you!

Oh boy, dogs have to be my MOST favorite subject. Keeping them healthy is what I do for a living. Rescue dogs are very near and dear to my heart and I cannot commend you enough for taking in a couple of throw away's. They always make the best pets. Thank you for opening your heart and home to these precious pups. I've been active in dog rescue for years and I am now on foster dog number 70! Yep, 70! I failed at fostering five times and now have a house full. But in all honesty I would not have it any other way.

Reading all these posts made me smile. What fun you are going to have! As I see that you have an aversion to the Voo Doo I've got a couple of tips for you on that subject and more.

#1. You can ALWAYS tell the quality of the food you are feeding by the size of the "used dog food" in your yard. If you have huge cow-pie poops that stink, then the food is mostly grains and filler and you are paying for the poop. Think about what corn looks like on the other end when we eat it. It digests even less in dogs... If you wouldn't feed steak to a horse, why on earth would you give your dog a bowl of cereal?

#2. If you feed a higher quality grain free food or even a natural raw diet you will have VERY tiny poops that turn white in a day or so and do not stink. They will also dissolve with rain and even with six large dogs, I never have to pooper scoop.

#3. Dogs are carnivores and require QUALITY proteins. If you feed a better food you actually have fewer vet bills and your dog enjoys a longer and healthier life. Most of the foods at the supermarket and petsmart are garbage. There's a good article to help you decipher it all here. Another to help you understand the true nutritional needs of dogs and cats here.

#4. Yearly vaccinations are a thing of the past and should NOT be given. Do you get vaccinated every year? Of course not and neither should your dogs. Vaccines are linked to all manner of autoimmune diseases and cancers find out more here.

I've studied companion animal nutrition for the last 7 years. If you or anyone on this forum ever needs help please don't hesitate to ask. I've helped to design diets for dogs with cancer, liver/kidney disease, diabetes and many other conditions. Always free of charge. It's my gift to these wonderful creatures who we are lucky enough to have in our lives. The website in my profile has all my contact info, please feel free to holler if you need help.

My absolute favorite quote;

"There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who chose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other.

To those who have never lived through its turnings or walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible.

Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given." (Clothier)

Congrats again and if you will PM me with your address I'll send you and your pups a "Welcome Home" care package. I've got all kinds of goodies at the shop. They will love their Auntie Anna! ;\)

Last edited by Anna; 06/09/09 08:18 PM.

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM

Anna #167651 06/09/09 08:19 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Outstanding post, Anna. You really nailed it!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I feed my dog Innova dry puppy food and twice a week feed her the canned food of the same brand. My dog loves raw deer meat and I feed her that regularly too. I shoot a lot of fish eating and diving ducks that tastes like well nasty... So I freeze them and feed the ducks to her as well. She loves them, so it works out. Innova is a top notch brand but costs an arm and a leg. However, my dog's health is excellent and that is what concerns me.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Innova is a good food. I had considered carrying it in my store but at the time there were a limited number of distributors in my area and the availability was not stable. I couldn't risk having folks start using the food and then not be able to get it on a regular basis. It looks like they are getting that under control and it certainly is a good food, especially the EVO formula's.

The fresh food is always a great idea, it's actually the only thing I feed my critters and you are smart to freeze it first. Freezing for 30 days kills all the parasites and makes it safer to feed.

I could tell you a story about my friend Wendy, the "free" venison and the $1000 worth of tape worm medicine! Ever since then I freeze all wild game for 30 days first. EWWWW! Nasty red mutant tapeworms. Yuck!

If you ever want to swap up for some variety (which is always a good idea every 3-4 months) take a look at Orijen here. I think they make the best dry food on the US market today. It's about the same price as Innova but you feed less because all of the formula's are grain free.

AHAHM

Anna #167670 06/09/09 09:54 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Thanks Anna I'll take a look...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I feed my dogs pedigree for years until I got on this site. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com and looked at the reviews for each dog food. I switched to Wellness Core after that and the results were amazing. There coats got healthier and they had more energy and just seemed so much happier. Pedigree and eukanuba are both 1 star dog foods, the worst on the list. I always thought that they were the high end dog foods since they were the ones putting on the shows.

Last edited by jsand13; 06/09/09 10:58 PM.
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I think Core is a good food and the website is a good general one that has limited information. My problem with sites like that one and articles about good foods is that they base it purely on the ingredients on the label. None of the sites take into consideration where and how those ingredients are sourced and processed. Quality can vary wildly from one batch of chicken meal to the next. It can also be sourced from several different companies. Basing a review purely on ingredients is, IMHO, short sighted. You are not comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

Granted I am an absolute freak about ingredients and only carry a limited number of processed foods for that reason. Most don't measure up once you talk to the manufacturers and get more info on sourcing and processing.

That's just my two cents.

PS. I don't carry Wellness because another store in my area already has the line. I didn't want to duplicate what she was doing and hurt her business. If she did not carry it, I certainly would pick up the line of grain free products they produce.

AHAHM

Anna #168130 06/12/09 07:22 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Anna:

I like the by-line but I know for a fact that the dogs will eat stuff that I won't go near! You know how long a dog has bad breath after eating a 3 day old bluegill that has been floating near the bank in the heat of August? It took almost 2 weeks before I couldn't smell nasty, stinky, fish breath. Bad, BAADD dog!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
ROFL!

My byline refers to things we intentionally feed to our dogs. Not what they dig up in the yard or fish out of the pond on their own!

AHAHM

Anna #169687 06/23/09 09:43 AM
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
This is my daughter Carli with who we now call Milo and Boone

Again with the dogs

Boone

I had to leave for Argentina back on 6/14/09 so somehow the wife and kids came up with "Milo." So sad....

Boone is the brains behind the pack.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but the vet said that in a female dogs litter, there can be more than one father-dog.

Both of these dogs have near exactly the same build, but as you can see, they have very different markings.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I don't know if I mentioned it, but the vet said that in a female dogs litter, there can be more than one father-dog.

I think there is a book that talks about this. "My dog has two dads" or something like that.

Milo and Boone - I like it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
So I had to take Boone to the vet this evening after kind of running him over in the Mule. I swear he was off to the side, so we started moving. Next thing you know, he's squealing. A few stitches and he's good.

While I was waiting, I got the dogs' weight profiles (in lbs.):

6/9/09 Boone 64; Milo 68.
6/23/09 Boone 74; Milo 73.
6/30/09 Boone 78; Milo 73.
8/13/09 Boone 97; Milo n/a

Milo didn't go to the vet with us, so we have no weight for him, but he's the same height as Boone, just not as thick. He must be high 80s or low 90s now.

We're really enjoying the personalities of these dogs. There was a time a few weeks back when I was really questioning my own stupidity (or lack of intelligence) for having gotten two large dogs in a new house with two young kids. Part of the problem was the dogs propensity to just leave the yard when my wife was gone and I was the only one home with the kids.

We got the invisible fence and that has made things so much better.

I wasn't really thinking the dogs, or dog at least, were going to go over 100 lbs., but it seems like at least one of them will.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
100 lbs \:o \:o
They look like they have adapted well

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Glad to hear you dog is OK Sunil! They really do become part of the family...

I had to take my lab to the vet a couple days ago to get her a couple vaccines she was due for. She ended up testing positive for Lyme's Disease. The vet said it is easily treatable so I am not too worried. I like you Sunil am amazed at how fast a dog can grow. We were looking at her chart when at the vet. At 7 weeks when we got her she was a hair over 5 pound. At 3 months she was 34 pounds. At 8 months she was 53 pounds and now at a hair over a year she is 58 pounds.

Dogs truly are man's best friend! Being gone on vacation last week and leaving her at my father's house while away, I realized how attached I have grown to her. This fall will be the first I get to hunt with her and that will only make the attachment stronger. There is something about the relationship you develop with a dog who is your hunting partner. You are so proud of your dog and you know they are doing what they love to do.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails