Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake, catscratch), 652 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Bullhead, the crappie aren't helping your bluegill size any; probably they're hurting it, as well as the bass size for that matter. Crappie are bad bad bad for ponds. There are diverse opinions on here on just about any other subject you could think of, but it has been my observation that we're all in agreement on this. There are multiple threads on here on the topic if you're in the mood for some sobering reading.

It's almost a sure bet your bluegill are overpopulated if you've never caught one over 5". If you're thinking about remedying the problem, the first thing you should do is install at least one automatic feeder; if the bluegill weren't overpopulated you could go with one feeder per four or five acres, but the way your pond is right now you won't get much growth short of putting at least one feeder per acre, preferably two. Feed with Purina Aquamax 500; it's higher protein than most other foods out there, and is far better in terms of ingredients since it's mainly fish protein rather than plant, which catfish chow usually is. Catfish grow well on plant protein; bluegill will grow on it, but nothing like they will on fish protein.

Next, if you want bigger bluegill, stock some more bass. They'll thin the bluegill out so the ones that live have more to eat and the survivors will grow vastly faster, and get vastly bigger. If you have great numbers of bluegill you could also consider stocking a few esocids, either northern pike or tiger muskie, five or six per acre. They'll not only thin out the bluegill population to a better balance - and thus vastly faster-growing bluegill - in short order, but unlike the bass-heavy method of growing trophy bluegill, the esocids will also keep your young bass from overpopulating so the bass still grow well. You wouldn't want to stock them in a pond under one acre, but they've been successfully stocked in ponds that size and up, and resulted in faster growth rates for both the bluegill and the bass. Someone else on here will probably be along in about five minutes to dismiss this idea, but I've personally done it; there's always the chance my results were a fluke, but I ended up with one of the best ponds I've ever seen, with huge bass and bluegill both. I'll have more data from several more bodies of water in a couple or three years on this method.

As to genetics, you're in luck there by geography. You just happen to live in the same state as a man who happens to be on the forefront of growing trophy bluegill, i.e. the mad scientist we all know as Bruce Condello. He has his own substrain of northern-strain bluegill (i.e. what naturally occurs throughout most of the U.S.) that he's been refining for ten years for the fastest growth, best response to pellet food, best hardiness, etc. and has caught bluegill of said strain in his own ponds, over two pounds. You couldn't do better than to buy a few of his 'gills and introduce them to the underachievers in your pond.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
A key to successfully maintain PK shrimp in a pond with predators is for them to have a shallow weedy refuge. As bobad has said, they are a great forage as they do not compete with any other fish for food. They simple feed on detritus and turn it into tasty fish food by being food themselves. If you do get them established, the great thing about them as they then become a ready supply of bait for your pond. Run a net through some weeds and you have a bait supply for the rest of the day. Bass will also readily eat them along with YP and CC. When I fish with grass shrimp in the Potomac River I regularly catch bass up to 16", multiple species of sunfish, crappies, CC over 6 pounds and even carp. Just about every loves to eat them. They aren't overly expensive for a hundred. They won't hurt anything regardless of your pond management goals, so I really don't see a reason not to add them. Especially if you have a new pond and you are just starting out with the stocking of it.

Lunker
Lunker
I don't catch many crappie, and when I do they are usually decent but not slab size.
This is a big pond (small lake?) 15 acres.
I am supposed to be getting some HSB from Bruce, one of these days. That should help control the inbred bluegills. I will have to pester him about some new strain bluegills next spring.
I certainly wouldn't mind adding a few pike either.
TJ, I got my RES from the APS truck when they stopped at Orscheln (world's worst farm store) in Seward.

W
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
You can do a lot with a lake that size, Bullhead. The HSB are a good idea; they'll definitely help with controlling the bluegill. But if you like the idea of pike, they're a more aggressive predator than HSB, and also get quite a bit bigger than the former; if your bluegill are overpopulated now, and it sounds like almost certainly they are, the pike will right that situation within a year or two, if not sooner.

Definitely bug Bruce about getting some of his bluegill - I'm about to put some of them in a couple of TN phosphate pits I'm working with. If you don't have any feeders, you could start with three or four; it could get expensive to put one per acre initially. Moultrie does make a good model for under $100 though it only holds 25 pounds of food; they have a model that holds 100 pounds that is $130 from Native Outdoors. You won't get the full benefit of his bluegill without feeders, as he breeds them to aggressively take pellet food, which of course translates to faster growth.

Keep me posted on what you do - would love to hear the plan unfold (and lead to 12" bluegills).

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
CJ/Walt/Ric...

I wanted to establish FHM as additional forage in my top two ponds [designed to serve as hatcheries for SMB and my RES/BG hybrids] so I've been setting traps and checking every few days. I don't trap in my main pond bc I have GSH also stocked and sorting them from the FHM is a pain and I could make a mistake. I'm cautious as I don't want GSH feasting on my SMB or BGRES eggs and fry. Jeesh - to the point: Checked my minnow traps today and what do you think I found along with my FH and Bullfrog tadpoles????

Four very large [1.5"], gravid, and spunky PK shrimp! It was a relief to see them - considering the low numbers I stocked into the crappie pond. I still haven't seen any evidence they survived in the main pond, but I'm going to set some traps in the backwaters with abundant aquatic vegetation and see what we learn.

The four shrimp are now the sole occupants my BGRES hatchery pond. I think they'll serve their purpose well there.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Awesome! That gives all of us who stocked them hope... I am going to try some trapping and maybe I'll get lucky and few PK will show up in them as well. They must have been young ones from the spring that are now maturing. Their offspring will be your brood stock for next spring. Very good!

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
That does sound promising tj!
I pulled a net through the widgeon grass yesterday & caught one shrimp. I was glad to see him there but somewhat disappointed there weren’t more. It would tickle me pink if a trap revealed females spawning. I think I'll carry a couple of traps down today. What are you baiting the traps with?

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Lunker
Lunker
I started with 6 traps in the main pond and put AM 500 in a piece of tied off nylon stocking [Condello had a bunch of these in his glovebox...I didn't ask any questions] and suspended it from the top of the cage. I baited three traps with AM 500, two traps with old bread, and one with nothing so I could test the results.

I noticed no difference in the qty of forage captured regardless of what I used as bait. When I noticed that 80% of my minnows were GSH [I didn't want them in the top hatchery ponds] I dumped them I placed traps to the crappie pond in which FHM are the dominant forage.

I was running short on time so I just tossed them in unbaited and returned the next day to bait them. I still had plenty of FHM and tadpoles and the four PK shrimp so now I don't bait with anything and still doing OK.

I would suggest trying a test yourself and see which performs better - AM, bread, and nothing at all has worked for me without discernable difference in the results. However, my ponds are loaded with forage and few predators, yet, so that might be the primary reason for my success.

Let me know how you guys do please - I'll let you know how the main pond goes up in the weedy creek arms.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
Hey all;

Wanted to let you know I've placed PK Shrimp in all four ponds now, and added bales on recent stocking in the absence of established aquatic vegetation in order to provide forage and structure for the shrimp.

I went to the main pond where I stocked the majority of my shrimp this Spring [April]. I wasn't sure what to expect, I made around 20 swipes around FA and other decaying vegetation and ended up with an average of 4-5 shrimp per pass.

I had many different sizes, which I'm hoping indicates evidence of a successful spawn. Real proof will be early Summer next year. Thought some of you might want the update.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very cool! Looks like several in the pic are carrying eggs or larvae... I'll have to check to see if they took hold in the two ponds I stocked them in.

Lunker
Lunker
teehjaeh57,

Very interesting, I looking at trying to eshablish shrimp in my new pond early next spring. How early in the spring can they be stocked/ordered? There will be limited vegation in the pond if any so I see it is reccomended to add a couple small bales of hay/straw, any type better than others? Barley, wheat, alfalfa, hay, etc?

Lunker
Lunker
Hey Lassig

I stocked when water temps were north of 60 degrees. I think that's plenty safe for the hearty species we use [PK]. I'm in NE [zone 5] and stocked in late April.

I had very little submergent vegetation in my ponds but they still did well, apparently, but some vegetation is going to improve their chances of thriving, obviously.

I don't personally believe the type of bales matter - but I used hay as thats what I had handy. Just stake them down in a shallow part of your pond and release the shrimp near it.

Lunker
Lunker
So roughly the same zone that I am in. I am actually a little bit further south than you but not much. When would I have to make an order if I wanted them to arrive the end of April? Where are the shrimp coming from?

Am I remembering correctly that putting wheat or barley bales in a pond helps in clearing mudding water? So adding these bales could serve two purposes?

Lunker
Lunker
I think most guys on the forum will get their orders in sometime in the Spring - say March or so. Determining qty of stocking depends on several factors from what I've learned thus far, including:

High amount of aquatic vegetation means fewer needed as they have more habitat to conceal themselves

Lower populations of panfish means fewer needed

If one supplements feeding with pellets, probably means fewer needed

I believe barley straw is reported to help with algae blooms...including FA. With that in mind I agree that would be a good choice as it provides additonal benefits! Good thinking!

I will be sure to post about four weeks before I place the initial order - pricing is contingent on qty - so there is strength in numbers when we all go together! I want to create a forage pond for GSH, FHM and PK shrimp so I will probably be ordering a bunch to get them going in there. Hard to think about next Spring already...a long winter awaits us in NE.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
teehjaeh57 -

I'm in for a spring order.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
Lunker
Lunker
Gotcha covered! \:\)

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
TJ, think I'll try some too. Remind me when it's time to order.
Tks

Just do it...
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
tj, the pics are great! Looks like you got good pop established. I placed 4 traps in thick Widgeon grass & caught none. I was able to net just one. So, I may try another stocking again next year.
What shrimp predators do you have in the pond? I'm looking for reasons of my apparent failure to establish shrimp.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Great update TJ, glad you are showing signs of a population. I hope we get some updates from some others as well. Put me on the list for this Spring, I will be placing an oder!

Get out and fish.
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
TJ, looks like they are off to a good start,I would like to try and get them started in my pond next spring also.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails