Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 523 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178586 08/12/09 09:38 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Does anybody have any commentary on this "look".

Is it desirable?

Is it really expensive?

Is the stone real or faux, and which is better/smarter to get?

Are metal roofs like this really expensive? Does any increase in serviceability, lifespan or resale justify the additional expense?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My fireplace and basement side walls in my log home are a faux stone and have held up excellent in the 15 years since I built my log home. However in all fairness I have been told they are not all created alike. The company that made my stone actually grinds up real stone and mixes it with some kind of cement in a mold. Looks absolutely like the real thing but lighter than the real thing. The granite ones even have what looks like real mica flecks.

I'll post some pictures if you're interested Bruce. The company that supplied my faux stone is located in Wakarusa, Indiana.

I've been told metal roofs last indefinitely but the initial cost is high.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
It's all over out East in every single suburb I see...not that it's not attractive - just very popular. I haven't seen much of it in the Midwest to date, however.

I checked this stone finish at my biz partner's home in suburbian NC and his, at least, was faux or however you term it - not real stones stacked together as it appeared.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I'm a big fan of metal roofs, last forever, less problems with wind damage, and if you get lots of snow, it slides off easily.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I think the look is beautiful. Looks like faux stone. I would have to say that the real thing looks better, but cost vs look I would say the faux stone is the way to go.

Don't have any info on a metal roof.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What's that crazy little thing up front? A house for midgets?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Looks like a light.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have faux stone on the front of my house. As Cecil said, the quality varies between different companies that make it. Some look very real others not so much... The price is definitely lower than real stone, way lower! If I was rich, I'd buy real stone, but I aint rich! I agree with AP on the metal roof. It is a good investment. The home has a post and beam look to it... Is that also what you were commenting on?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The entrance design is classic. Rockytopper uses it and I think it looks great.
The example you have provided is out of balance. The massive stacked stone pillars support what appears to be a configuration of toothpicks. The timbers need to be much larger, or at least the supporting vert's.
-
Metal roofs? They rock. Do the research, spend the extra money up front, and you will never look back.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If you look behind the dog, you'll see the "stone" we used all around our house. It's faux or fake. Then again, so is the Nichiha green cedar shake above the stone. Looks just like stone, but at much less the cost. We used a lot of it.

We did use a metal roof all around the wrap-around porch. Certainly more costly up front.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I'm a big fan of metal roofs, last forever, less problems with wind damage, and if you get lots of snow, it slides off easily.

Right into the gutters. Commercial/intitutional metal roofs around here increasingly have these little cross brackets/cleats mounted near the bottom to prevent ice and snow from sliding down all at once and trashing the gutters.

We currently have 5 metal roofs, on barns & outbuildings ranging from 72'x136' to 6'x8'. IME they will last much longer than shingles, but you have to pay attention to rust spots and repaint as necessary. We have one which I touch up about every year, while the largest just got it's second complete paint job after 21 years. That's a 4 figure job, but a lot cheaper than reroofing.

P.S. We have a commercial fake stone manufacturer across the road from us, but all I know is they use a lot of groundwater for their concrete.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 08/13/09 07:52 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Those things are called Snow Birdies.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
Do they go to Arizona every Winter?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think metal roofing might be a bit cheaper than traditional 3-tab shingles, and most likely less than dimensional shingles. The reason I say this is when I was down in Tenn a few years ago I noticed a whole lot of houses with new shingle roofs and new metal roofs. The owner of the lodge I was staying at said that they had a bad hail storm earlier in the year and the people with steel roofs didn't have insurance......

I'm with Bretttski, the front of the house is unbalanced. Also, how often will the wood siding need to be refinished? I'm looking into faux fieldstone to cover my fireplace (outside) because I'm re-siding the house now. I was told that the best stuff was what Menards carries. It's made in Wisconsin. I was under the impression that it was already on a backer, but upon further research, it's individual pieces that have to be set like real stone (mesh & mortar). On sale it's $444.00/square. Anybody know if they make something similar (field stone looking) but on a backer?

It's 2 story fireplace, I figured that I need a square and a half.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
For the "lowdown" on metal roofing systems contact Todd E. Miller Presient Classic Products Inc. They are a commercial account of ours that serve the commercial,industrial and residential roofing matket.I have been on several properties that unless someone told you the roof was metal you would not of known it (if your wanting the shingle look) they have a very informative website also at http://www.classicmetalroofingsystems.com

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Gutters? We don't need no stink'in Gutters!

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Sheesh, they prefer the term little people.

DIED just renovated his house with concrete fiber siding and metal roofing and is very knowledgeable on the subjects. His place looks great. Hopefully he will chime in here.

In our area both are a plus for fire safety purposes. IIRC, the pre-finished concrete siding has fairly good warranty (10 or 15 years) on the finish and the siding has a really long warranty.

I agree on the posts. They should have used really heavy posts above the rock pillars.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think the posts were an afterthought or should I say there was a screw up and that was the only way they could make it work.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

I believe the PC term is GNOMES

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Genetically disposed to consistent vertical challenges.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Hijack Alert!

Sunil your house looks great.
Any new pictures or maybe you can start a new thread with details etc??

Just do it...
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
If you look behind the dog, you'll see the "stone" we used all around our house. It's faux or fake. Then again, so is the Nichiha green cedar shake above the stone. Looks just like stone, but at much less the cost. We used a lot of it.

We did use a metal roof all around the wrap-around porch. Certainly more costly up front.

Sunil - that is a beautiful home - I'm blown away.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The metal roof pictured is a standing seam metal roof commonly used in residential and commercial construction. It requires decking just like asphalt shingles. The metal roofing Ted Lea linked to is the best out there and can look like shingles or slate, but it is really expensive. I looked at it hard when I built 8 years ago, but couldn't justify cost. It's a fairly new product and the insurance companies didn't have enough experience with it to give a large enough discount to help out much. The other kind of metal roof is the R Panel like you see on barns. It doesn't require decking, but I used decking on this barn at the valleys and dormers to flash them out without leaks

These barns don't have any decking with R Panel sides and roof

My cabin and the pavillon are done in standing seam, which doesn't show screws except in a few places(R Panel shows all screws)

Just remember, metal roofs will dent in severe hail storms, though not structurely damaged, they don't look very good and the insurance won't fix them just because they look bad.. du

That is a beautiful house Sunil

Last edited by david u; 08/13/09 11:21 AM.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
i think bruce is having a "life after people" moment?

despite a few architectural oddities as mentioned above, that looks like it'd be a cool place to call home.

awesome stuff du.

sunil, quit taking pictures of the neighbors houses.

no expert here but thanks for the kind words jhap.

our new standing seam metal roof was manufactured by asc, the line is called "skyline", made of steel. to our knowledge (for our area) it costs ~25% more than high end composition shingles, and as jhap said, considering how bad our area is for wildland fires, we are hoping it was worth it.

http://www.ascbp.com/residential/prodDetail662f.html?id=104

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Sunil - that is a beautiful home - I'm blown away.

Somehow, I detect a similarity to the famous Overlook Hotel.

Sunil, nobody in your family has "The Shining", do they?

-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction