Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,937
Posts557,712
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
10 members (Abaggs, Mainer, Don Kennedy, phinfan, John Folchetti, gehajake, Augie, jludwig, canyoncreek, catscratch), 736 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Posts Transferred from FRPeeps (Frank's) Pond Project thread at the suggestion of george1.

Originally Posted By: DavidV
Otto,

Here are some pics from my pond expansion. I really appreciated you and Bob providing invaluable advice to a newbie as myself!! I am just glad I hooked up with the Pond Boss family when I did or I might have, probably would have had, a project that I would have been unhappy with. The dam was closed this past week. Missed that 12" of rain we had in May. The equipment was broken down causing the delay. You were right when you told me that most dirt guys want to tak ethe closest dirt to build the dam. Well, I got them to back off the dam and deepen those shallows to 4', 12' from the bank. Put some ridges in for bottom structure. Deepest part is 20.5'. dam is 800' long. Will send along some more pics on next post.

Topo of property. Existing pond is approx 1.5 acres.

Aerial view of exisitng pond and proposed expansion.

Exisitng pond from dam

View behind exisitng dam

Behind dam prior to work

Drum over exisitng pond drain valve riser with trees cleared.

Hole in old dam caused by beaver. The trackhoe took care of that problem in a hurry!!

dam is starting to take shape

A river runs thu it after the 12" of rain in May.My pond would have been half full if the dam had been closed.

Quote:
Will send more pics. If anyone has comments that may help me, I would appreciate it. What kind of vegetation/grasses should I plant on the dam for erosion control?

Originally Posted By: otto
We where hoping you would join us on the forum. Thanks for the pictures.

Plant bermuda gress on the dam.

These were pics from my cell phone. My better half has the good ones in her camera and she ran off today, taking kids to Six Flags. Sounds HOT! My contractors gave me a bill that included an extra for taking the dirt from the front to the dam. I expected that after seeing their reactions when advised of this necessity. The dam is 100'wide at the base, and slops very gradually on the backside,maybe 2/1, good for mowing.

After they completed their work last Thursdaqy the dozer would not shut off, wanted to keep going. They had to remove fuel lines from the injector pump to kill the darn thing. Now it is in pieces again sitting on my old dam.

Here are some more pics taken today while I was seeding the dam, ugh. Seed is expensive. Hope it germinates

At least the bottom holds water

one of the ridges

Another ridge, will be 5' below normal pool level.

From the center of the dam

My finger is always in the wrong place

Looking from east. Ridges,

From east again

Will be adding some cedars for cover, anyone need cedar wood? I have acres of it. Boulders and other fishy things.

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Looks great, what kind of seed did you put down?

Originally Posted By: FRPeeps
David, That's a great looking project. Congrats!

Where in N. Texas are you located?

Thanks for the compliment. Put down Bermuda as Otto advised. Now if it will rain it would be great. I have no water on property yet other than exisitng pond.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 08/16/09 06:57 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Second Page Posts:

Thanks for the compliment. Your's looks great also. I just need some satellite dishes. I'm in Hopkins Co. NW of Sulphur Springs. Not to far from you. Your land looks a lot like mine with all the oak trees. Has yours filled yet??

Here is a photo of me and my guys that built the pond. Which one is me??

Will be drilling a deep well next week to hopefully fill the pond. 50 gal/min should help. Solar powered well pump etc. Any input on solar powered pumps would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: esshup
I'm guessing far left.

As far as solar pumps, I think you need to have the solar panels charge batteries, and run the pump from the batteries.

Originally Posted By: Brettski
Here is a photo of me and my guys that built the pond. Which one is me??

...the guy with the thinnest wallet...?
\:\)
GREAT lookin' project!

Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
I'm guessing you are the guy without a hat. The others are all smiles, so I'm also guessing that they are the ones getting paid. LOL

Eddie

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
The guy without a hat, and WITH a water bottle.

Next question.

Which illustrious Pond Bosser do you think captured this moment of time in a digital format?

A few more pics.

Maintenance Crew

A few pics from today. Have had some rain lately.

Originally Posted By: otto
plant some grass.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 08/16/09 06:55 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Hope to see you at the conferanc, bring the dozer people with you they will have the time of ther life(a break from working on the equipment will do them good)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Why did George1 decide to transplant my pics? He must be a very important man. I have a bermuda carpet growing on top and down one side now after $250 worth of seed. My dozer people are dairy farmers as you know. Dairy's aren't doing very well now. Wal-Mart has milk at $1.98/gal. Feed is up. Got frogs and hogs in my pond now. Have 7200 volts near. I figure I can shock the hogs, prod the dozer guys and romance my wife and be at the conference.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Why did George1 decide to transplant my pics? He must be a very important man.

george is my hero.

-S. M. Stirling
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Why did George1 decide to transplant my pics? He must be a very important man.

Ouch ...
As I explained by PM, your excellent thread interrupted (hi-jacked) Frank Peeps classic pond building thread, and I felt your thread important enough to deserve special recognician.
Moderator approval.
My apologies. \:\)

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If George says it......

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
... we make it so.

-S. M. Stirling
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Some grass on dam is finally growing. Bermuda.

soon to be minnow motels once I find some help unloading. Helped a contractor of mine clean off a job site today.

Went out this weekend with transit and double checked elevations. Orange line is full level.Approx 2' below top of dam. Drain on one side is within an inch of this line, the secondary drain on the opposite side of the dam is 10" above.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
DavidV, re-reading your thread and looking at your pictures, it appeared in the picture showing just a little water and nearly the entire dam, that the center of the dam looked about one to twoo feet low. Is it my imagination or perhaps a panoramic shot illusion ? Maybe, but it sure looks like there is a dip, and run-off topping that monster of a berm would be all bad.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks for the observation, There is a small dip in the center- about 4". Here is another pic at or close to the center with the normal (full) pool level at the bottom of the stake. I have two natural, wide, drains, one on each side that I hope will take care of a flood condition. The water will never get as high as the dam because the inflow to my exisitng pond is about 18" below the adjacent road level. I just hope that it will fill up some time soon.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Happy Birthday David!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thank you! My wife asked what I would like for my B-day and I told her about 6" of rain directly over my new pond. Didn't happen but one can always wish. How is your project coming along? I already have fish and frogs in the new part. The fish (minnows and fry) came out the drain of the existing pond and traveled to their new home. They were all trying to swim upstream but the current was too strong. Thanks again for the thought.

Last edited by DavidV; 09/01/09 08:20 PM.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I know what you mean. When I was waiting for my pond to fill I would watch the radar on weather.com every time there was a rain cloud. Without fail the best parts of the storm, the reds and yellows, always seemed to slightly miss where I wanted them to go. Hang in there, your day will come. My pond is doing fine, maturing before my eyes. It's my favorite place to be!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Here is my daughter on the right with her friend and Molly which I found at this land under our 4- wheeler. They like the old pond Ok. One can see the new berm in the background. They transferred to the new pond and gave themselves "beauty" clay baths. Pics to follow.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Haven't updated for a while. But since last update I have had 11" of rain. New pond has filled quicker than I expected. I really have my work cut out now to get that pier constructed before I am working underwater.

Just wan't to throw this out to the experts for opinions.

My exisitng pond is 1.5 acres. Stocked with LMB and BG with some fairly nice BG and LMB up to 16" with most in the 10"-14" range.

My first inclination when starting this project was to let the new pond fill to a level then open the drain valve to the existing pond and let the water levels equalize. At that point I wanted to bring someone in to clean up the shallows of the exisitng pond (15yrs old) and break the dam to allow a continuos waterway between the existing and new. I also wanted to construct a bridge over the dam opening for ease of access to the opposite side of the water (I have an entrance gate to my property on that side which may come in handy later on). The main reason for connectiong the two ponds was to have a deep area(new pond) for recreation (swimming, kayaking, water trampoline and other kids stuff) and a shallower part with inlet creeks and flats for good spawn habitat.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the following issues would be greatly appreciated:

1)What do do with existing fish when and if I drain old pond?

2)If I don't connect the two immediately, should I begin stocking the new with forage fish this fall?

3) Does anyone know where to obtain live crayfish in the NE Texas area and is it advisable to insert these into the arena?

4) What are the pro's and con's for two separate ponds? The new pond has fairly steep banks 3/1 all around on advice from a Pondmeister and I am concerned about spawning grounds if this pond remains separated. Is this a valid concern?

Here are som pic's taken recently.

Sep. 22

Typical BG in exisitng pond

Rain gauge for past week

10/10/09

Grass finally taking on dam

Looking from exisitng dam

Top of the exisitng drain valve riser. Will need good waders or a raft to access now. At least the handle is above water under the drum.

See old pond in background and exisitng dam

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The longer I'm on here, the more attractive 2 separate ponds look.

Crayfish, I think are only available late Spring to late Summer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thank you for your reply. Why would you say two ponds are more attractive?Just curious.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The two ponds would allow creating two diverse fisheries. For instance, want to catch some big catfish? pond 1. Large LMB and CNBG, fish pond 2.

A friend down in Dallas who has property about 80 miles East of Dallas has maybe 20 different ponds on his place, from 70 ac to >5 ac. The 35ac pond is managed for trophy LMB, and he loads it up with TSH. There also are BG, RES and Crappie in it as well, but the main focus is trophy LMB. His target is 12+# in 2 more years, and he's well on his way. Another pond (around 3 ac) has a good population of CC and CNBG, and just enough LMB to keep things in line.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
David

Great looking ponds! Many meisters probably wish they were facing your difficult decision right now.
Hope it's okay I chime in...I struggled with the same kind of question and ended up deciding to construct multiple ponds instead of one larger pond. I value diversity and the opportunity to experiment and learn through my successes and failures over the benefits of simply having a larger BOW. I initially believed in a iron clad correlation between BOW and fish size: Bigger the water, bigger the fish - so I was obsessed with building as large a pond as I could. Thankfully, before I began my projects, I realized fish size and the success of a project is largely dependent on the knowledge of and extensive management practices of the owner - not the size of the BOW. I'm glad I found the forum before I executed my plans.

It obviously comes down to your personal goals and - but I'd recommend keeping them separate and benefitting from experimenting and trying something different in your new pond. You have a blank canvas...how cool is that?!?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
David

Great looking ponds! Many meisters probably wish they were facing your difficult decision right now.
Hope it's okay I chime in...I struggled with the same kind of question and ended up deciding to construct multiple ponds instead of one larger pond. I value diversity and the opportunity to experiment and learn through my successes and failures over the benefits of simply having a larger BOW. I initially believed in a iron clad correlation between BOW and fish size: Bigger the water, bigger the fish - so I was obsessed with building as large a pond as I could. Thankfully, before I began my projects, I realized fish size and the success of a project is largely dependent on the knowledge of and extensive management practices of the owner - not the size of the BOW. I'm glad I found the forum before I executed my plans.

It obviously comes down to your personal goals and - but I'd recommend keeping them separate and benefitting from experimenting and trying something different in your new pond. You have a blank canvas...how cool is that?!?

+1

Plus, if you change your mind about 2 ponds You have the luxury of being able to pull the plug and make it all one pond at any time!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I really appreciate your opinions. Will probably keep the ponds separated for now although where the old pond and new pond meet there will be some common water during high water conditions.

I have been told a few differing forage stocking options. One is 800 bluegill/200 redear, another is 600 bluegill/300 redear and yet another is 1000 bluegill/200 redear. Any opinions, good advice? Not stocking CC as yet. LMB to follow this spring.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You're far enough south that Coppernose BG would flourish. If you don't have any in the other pond, I'd look into those. Is Todd Overton close enough to get fish from?

If you have CNGB, what about some of Bruce Condello's BG's if they are available?

I don't remember if you said earlier. What are your goals (fish wise) for each pond? (or one single large pond?)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
What are the sizes of the two ponds, David? One big consideration: if neither pond is going to be larger than an acre or two, you'd have a much better chance at achieving a trophy bass fishery with one larger pond of three or four or more acres than you would with a smaller pond. Big bass need lots and lots of forage, and it's generally held that a pond of an acre or less isn't going to be able to produce more than one trophy bass.

So the biggest question that needs to be addressed, both in deciding whether to keep multiple ponds or make one and in deciding what numbers to stock, is what fish is your top priority? If it's trophy bass, you're going to have a much better chance of achieving your goal with one big pond. And stocking numbers will be higher on the bluegill than any you've been told: 1250 bluegill per acre would be a good minimum if big bass are the goal, and you could go as high as 2000 where you live as bass in the Deep South (I don't know if northern TX qualifies, though I'm guessing it probably does) seem to eat through more forage and more quickly (probably due to a longer growing season) than elsewhere. You would also want to stock additional forage species such as threadfin shad and golden shiners, and after two or three years when your bass are starting to put on some size, gizzard shad to give them bigger mouthfuls and get them really huge. Crayfish could also be good to stock and have been shown to make a difference in growing trophy bass. Numbers-wise on bass you would want to go lower than what most hatcheries advise, about forty per acre; I would go with 20 F-1 bass, 10 Florida, and 10 northern-strain per acre.

If on the other hand trophy bluegill are your main focus, you'll want to go with lower numbers than any you've been told: I would recommend no more than 250 CNBG (coppernose bluegill) per acre and 200 shellcracker (higher numbers ratio-wise of shellcracker because they will get very big in a southern BOW). You would want higher numbers of bass, at least 100 per acre. And you would want to skip other forage species (TS, GSH, GS) because they'll compete directly with the bluegill for food and drastically lessen their growth. You would want to install at least a couple automatic feeders, roughly one per acre or two acres depending on your budget. And, if bluegill are the focus, don't wait to stock the bass - stock them now with the bluegill so the bluegill don't have the opportunity to get in a spawn next spring with no predation. One good spawn can overpopulate a pond with bluegill, which is good from a big-bass standpoint but disaster if big bluegill are the goal.

With either plan, you'll want to fertilize to maximize the food chain. And, most serious pondmeisters nowadays use automatic feeders even if bass are the priority because the bluegill produce more offspring due to having a better food source, and reach intermediate sizes that give bass bigger bites, more quickly.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The existing pond is 1.5 acres. BG and LMB now. The new pond is 3.5 acres (will be when full). My goals are to have a quality LMB fishery but to have some quality BG as well if that is possible.

I have contacted Todd w/ Overton. I didn't realize he was not in "Overton" TX which is fairly close to my pond. Todd recommended the 800/200 mix.

Anyone know where I can get crayfish this time of year?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
'Nother New Guy
by John Folchetti - 04/16/24 12:01 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed