Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
5points, Engr. Mahfuzur, Casey Harrison, Johnnync, jbeard82
15486 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15487 Members
36 Forums
35689 Topics
486375 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24027
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19373
Dave Davidson1 13429
Bill Cody 12398
Who's Online
16 registered (Sunil, Bocomo, Theo Gallus, DADx4, DrWizz, BrianL, Bob-O, Redonthehead, Matzilla, Mfitzs70, Quarter Acre, LeighAnn, VonLechten, Clay N' Pray, NEDOC, nehunter), 213 Guests and 435 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#174100 - 07/16/09 04:39 PM How to compact clay without machine?
Laurie Offline
Fingerling

Loc: Pine, Louisiana
Last weekend we built a small pond, 18' x 24' x 3' deep, filled once with hose but was dry within 24 hours. We think the problem is failure to compact properly, as we have nice heavy red clay that holds water well in our neighbor's old, established ponds. The area of the pond basin is too small to contain any heavy equipment. Any ideas for improvising a way to compact the clay? We don't have livestock. I tried riding my ATV around the pond floor for a couple of hours and it seemed to compact the clay / soil a bit , but I'm hoping one of the pond experts can offer a better solution for compacting, in a pretty small space, without machinery.

Thank you!

#174120 - 07/16/09 05:26 PM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Laurie]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
The USUAL recommendation is for 2 ft. of well packed clay. How much did you use? Be sure to pack in layers as you go.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#174129 - 07/16/09 06:48 PM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Dave Davidson1]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...

#174132 - 07/16/09 07:23 PM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: RAH]
Theo Gallus Online   content
Lunker

Loc: Central Ohio
It's machinery, but you could rent a jumping jack.

Non carborundum illegitimatus!
(totus res in temperantia)

I subscribe, but won't pay Photobucket.

#174158 - 07/16/09 09:55 PM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Theo Gallus]
RAH Offline
Lunker

jumping jack = rammer

#174196 - 07/17/09 06:34 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: RAH]
Brettski Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Illinois
they do work...man, do they work

#174214 - 07/17/09 08:47 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Brettski]
Theo Gallus Online   content
Lunker

Loc: Central Ohio
How's that shoulder, Bski?

Non carborundum illegitimatus!
(totus res in temperantia)

I subscribe, but won't pay Photobucket.

#174220 - 07/17/09 09:11 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Theo Gallus]
Brettski Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Illinois
Never gonna be the same.
So Laurie knows, I used one of the jumping jack compactors and did NOT follow correct usage. Grabbing the wrong side of the machine's handle during compaction sets a bone jarring shockwave thru the body that might....just might....demand arthroscopic surgery a few months later to remove damaged tissues.

#174231 - 07/17/09 10:02 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Brettski]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Grabbing non-macines the wrong way can get you hurt even worse...

#174286 - 07/17/09 02:33 PM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: RAH]
Jeff Walker Offline
Lunker

Loc: Southern Illinois (KY border)
 Originally Posted By: RAH
Grabbing non-macines the wrong way can get you hurt even worse...

I think grabbing a lot of things the wrong way can get you hurt even worse!

#174400 - 07/18/09 12:13 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Jeff Walker]
CJBS2003 Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Loc: northern VA
Laurie, a pond that size if you cannot get the clay to hold the water a liner is very feasible...

#174422 - 07/18/09 07:48 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Jeff Walker]
Ric Swaim Offline
Lunker

Loc: Surry Co NC
 Quote:
Originally Posted By: RAHGrabbing non-macines the wrong way can get you hurt even worse...

I think grabbing a lot of things the wrong way can get you hurt even worse!

Sometimes it's just the "grabbing" that does it.

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric

#174444 - 07/18/09 10:06 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Ric Swaim]
TOM G Offline
Lunker

Loc: Dawson Tx
Laurie,Welcome to the forum.18 x 24 feet,I would put down a liner and be done with it.What are byour goals for the pond?

#174681 - 07/20/09 07:49 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: TOM G]
otto Offline
Lunker

Loc: texas
Laurie

Tom G has a good idea for that size it might be a good idea to consider a liner.

#174731 - 07/20/09 01:47 PM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: RAH]
PFV Offline
Lunker

Loc: North Texas
 Originally Posted By: RAH
jumping jack = rammer

AKA - Whacker-Packer!! And yes, if you don't use it properly, it will give you a purty good shaking.

#175188 - 07/22/09 06:26 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: PFV]
otto Offline
Lunker

Loc: texas
PFV

That thing will give you a good shaking no matter how you use it.

#175618 - 07/24/09 11:46 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: otto]
Littlestfish Offline
Lunker

Loc: BC Canada
I also have a small pond that is about 18 by 20 by 5 -6 feet deep. It was built on a slope and has a 3 foot high clay dam built up on one end. As it is a very moist spot the dam didn't get compacted properly when it was built.

I don't want to use a liner as there is a very small spring in the bottom of the pond and I rely on this to water a large garden.

I have had some success with a baseball bat. As the water level has gone down over the summer and the bank has dried a bit, I've followed up on this first compaction with a sledge hammer and the back of an axe with a heavy head.

It's a lot of work but it seems to be working. We are having a very hot dry summer here and all the ponds in the area are already down to the lowest I have ever seen them. My pond is at the same level it was in January during the wettest part of the year, before I began compacting it and inserting bentonite into the softest mushiest places in the dam. (There is a thread on how I did this titled "An Easy Way to Fix Some Leaks".)

My pond is about 16 inches down from being completely full, which is pretty good considering I have used at least 10 of these to water my garden. But I am still working on it as I think the small spring should keep it completely full if it wasn't leaking at all. So every day I am out there for my 15 minute work out, going whack whack whack, in the hopes I will get it so it stays full, next summer.

#175622 - 07/24/09 11:55 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Littlestfish]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
If your water table is stable, the spring should keep seeping. If the water table falls below the bottom of the pond, it will suck the water from the pond.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#175731 - 07/25/09 12:16 AM Re: How to compact clay without machine? [Re: Laurie]
eddie_walker Offline
Lunker

Loc: Just North of Tyler, Texas
 Originally Posted By: Laurie
Last weekend we built a small pond, 18' x 24' x 3' deep, filled once with hose but was dry within 24 hours. We think the problem is failure to compact properly,

How did you build the pond? If you dug a hole in the ground, then the undesturbed soil is already compacted in most cases. If you built a dam, how did you build it?

Where did the water go? did it soak into the ground? Did it go through the dam?

Compacting soil is a science that can be very expensive, but it is not the same as making sure your soil will hold water. Saying that it's red and that your neighbor has a pond that holds water doesn't have anything to do with the dirt on your land.

To properly compact clay soil, you need a way to both mix it up and vibrate it. A sheepsfoot roller is ideal for clay, but as also mentioned, a jumping jack works great too. You are not just beating the soil so it will become hard, you are mixing it up to create an overlapping, solid barrier. If there is sand, rock or roots right under the clay, it wont matter how much effort you put into compacting it, it's gonna leak.

Find the leak and figure out why it's leaking. Compaction might work, but it could also be something else. Until you know why it's leaking, you will never be able to fix it.

Good luck,
Eddie

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.

Today's Birthdays
JJJJ, Rupert
Recent Posts
LMB Cull Rates for 20 acre IA Borrow Pit?
by Bocomo
0 seconds ago
Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations
by DrWizz
2 minutes 34 seconds ago
Summer time drop shoting for bluegill
by Matzilla
26 minutes 26 seconds ago
Another plant ID please
by RAH
Today at 09:09 AM
HOT!
by DannyMac
Today at 08:19 AM
Seine Net to adjust fish population........
by NEDOC
Today at 07:44 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by anthropic
Today at 01:22 AM
New Pond Construction In Jefferson Co, Mo.
by Bobbss
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Longview/Marshall area trappers?
by anthropic
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
DIY Pond Deicer vs Aeration
by Esox
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
CNBG
My Best Longear so far
Help ID this fish