Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,812
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (Steve Clubb, Bobbss, phinfan, TLL, catscratch, Fishingadventure, esshup), 1,034 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ya know, we have an odd situation here in Texas. Bluegills don't get much of a chance to stunt where bass are present. Some of us are even stocking 2,000 BG/RES per acre and waiting a year to stock predators. Then, after two years, cull bass like crazy. Then, we often supplementally stock tilapia to take pressure off bluegills.

That might not work in other places but bass heavy/bluegill light seems to be the norm for light or moderately managed ponds here. Some writers say that 500 BG per acre is plenty and I agree as long as your game plan gives them plenty of time to load up the pond with bass groceries.

That's why I always tell pond owners to stock bass when they can go to sleep with their mouth open and wake up with a full belly. The State Biologists that I know agree with me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Here again, the pond owner said he's interested in catching good-sized specimens of both species. Stocking 2,000 bluegill per acre is a recommendation solely geared for big bass. Not the poster's goal. That stocking would produce a result very counter to his goal.

Last edited by Walt Foreman; 07/20/09 10:32 AM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Dave, I agreee completely. I stocked my one old pond last year with 250 3-5"BG, 150 2' RES, and about 75 RES from 7-12" from another lake. I loaded it up with 10 lb of FHM, then this spring another 10 lb. YESTERDAY, I put in 10 LMB from another lake that were from 9-12" long. They should have PLENTY to eat along with thousands of tadpoles and small frogs in my pond.

This fall, I'll get another 10-15 LMB in the 10-12" category and see what the spring brings. I also did something I said I wouldn't do. BUT, I put in 5 crappie (all five were males). If I keep adding crappie a couple at a time till I get about 50 in there and their all males, I should be able to catch some decent crappie in a couple years.

Did I make a mistake???

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good info here...I'm in the same boat(pun) as Cougar and have decided to stock predators(6-8" LMB & HSB) this fall after stocking 2-6" CNBG & FHM this May rather than wait till next Spring. But it is nice to know those on this forums' opinion either way and value the spirited rhetoric..wonder how Cougar's cruise is going?? du

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: Walt Foreman
Here again, the pond owner said he's interested in catching good-sized specimens of both species. Stocking 2,000 bluegill per acre is a recommendation solely geared for big bass. Not the poster's goal. That stocking would produce a result very counter to his goal.

I don't necessarily think so Walt. A good number of the BG will attain trophy size. BTW, I consider a 9" BG a trophy. Others may not.

Lots of people think that big BG and big bass are mutually exclusive. I don't.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
David, how in the dickens are you sexing those crappie? I've never messed with them and know nothing about crappie. Heck, I don't even know how to catch them at this time of year.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
DD1, jimmydee did the Crappie thing..not me.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
9" bluegill is not a trophy to me; I caught several that size a few days ago at a pond I just started managing again after being in CA for ten years; I've only been working with the pond two months, and the bluegill are a little larger than they were when I started, but I was not happy with not catching any bluegill over 10", which I regularly did when I last worked with that pond, and for that matter any pond I had worked with for more than two years. It's possible your 9" bluegill weighs more than my nine-inchers at the moment, as the pond I mentioned isn't fed.

A decent-sized bluegill can still happen every now and then in a pond that's overcrowded with bluegill. Certainly the bass will get larger in such a pond, but my point was, Cougar clearly stated he would like good-sized individuals of both, which would seem to me to indicate a lack of focus on bass, and more of a desire for a balanced pond, which will still yield trophy-sized LMB and BG both, which a bluegill-crowded pond will not. It's very simple population dynamics.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Walt, OK, then, with a 3/4 A pond stocked last year with 250 3-5" BG, and 150 1"RES, and about 75 adult RES, produce a balanced BG/LMB polulation if I just presented the pond with 10 9-12" LMB and will add 15 more of the same siz throughout the summer and fall? What is your take on that scenario?

I guess, after reading what you just posted above, I'm concerned with an over population of BG.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Dave, my sexing of the crapie is/was a best guess. None had the typical distended bellie that you can 'sometimes' see in a female, and they all had the typical blackness in stripes tat 'usually' are indicative of males. Again, a guess at best, bu at least a somewhat educated guess. Gosh, I hope I was right.

I don't think that eventually 10-15 crappie, even if a 5-6 are female will overbalance my pond.

Your thoughts?

Lunker
Lunker
It only takes two to tango.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Yeah, but it takes four to square dance.

So, did I really mess up, or will my LMB keep things under control???

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Jimmy, only time will tell.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Walt, in my own personal pond, I don't feed except when I show up. I regularly catch 9 inch BG and sometimes some a little bigger. But, not much bigger. It seems these days that I don't get to show up near often enough. We made the 140 mile round trip drive yesterday just to feed fish.

However, following the 2,000 BG recipe with bass added a year later, ponds that I semi manage for other people have gotten some pretty stunning results before the bass are added. Those that get a jump start, and some always do, keep growing. As they feed on the abundant fry, the protein keeps coming. However, if someone wanted only a big BG pond, I wouldn't recommend over 500 per acre with 2 feeders. Then, I would stock bass soon after depending on the weather(heat). Also, for trophy BG, I don't believe in eating the big ones.

The reality is that it is double tough to have both trophy BG and trophy bass in the same pond. It can be done but it takes more intense management and the stars all have to line up just right. Oh yeah, we also have to pray real hard for rain. I had it all done right in one 3 acre pond. Then the guys wife heard about the benefits of fertilization. In North Central Texas we don't need to fertilize. Within a week he had floaters everywhere. I waded out wearing white sneakers and they disappeared just above my ankles. That was in August a year ago. The guy told me that he knew he should have called me first. Instead of crying, we sat down and had a beer.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 07/20/09 03:28 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"I waded out wearing white sneakers..."

This is just wrong in so many ways.

Why didn't you just take your shoes off?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
"I waded out wearing white sneakers..."

This is just wrong in so many ways.

1) Give him a break, he took his kickers off.

2) White sneakers are the preferred visibility gauge in Hurst & Bowie. That way they don't have to try and pronounce "Secchi."

3) His red sneakers were in the laundry.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
jimd do you want good bass growth and/or nice size bg/res? You will get good bass growth on the 10 you put in. I would not recommend too many more adult size bass right now. This is in fear the bass will eat up the bluegill and res too soon since just put in last year. All this advice is if you want balanced/quality bass. If wanting monster bluegill put in those bass and more. I think it is easy to correct bluegill issues but again I'm talking SE.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think DD1 like me is old enough to have grown up barefoot with soles tougher than shoe leather. But now like me can barely stand walking on hardwood floors barefoot .. esp. when they're soft from soaking in water.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dang Ric, you had to go get all serious on us. Now it's going to be harder to tee-off on the Guvnor.

I can just picture Guv in some brand new white tennis shoes....."You had a fish kill?......Awwwww, I'll just wade in there and see what I can dredge up."

This does remind me of young Condello with the 5-day dead carp. Anyone still have that photo?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Didn't know I was serious, course I was saying that right up till I said "I DO" too.
Sometimes it's several days later before I pick up on someone dissing me too;-)

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Jimmydee, the good news is you started with very reasonable stocking numbers for bluegill and redear. What concerns me, if you care about bluegill size which it sounds like you do, is 1) that you didn't stock bass until a year after the bluegill, and 2) you only added ten bass.

The prevailing wisdom in Northern states, which MO comes closer to being than Southern since you get snow every year and probably see your ponds freeze over, is that bass should be stocked up to a year BEFORE the bluegill, to give the bass time to get large enough to prey on bluegill by the time the bluegill are added. It's been documented that overpopulation by bluegill is a bigger problem up North than in the South (and it's a huge problem even here), and while you're not quite in MN, you're still closer to being Northern than Southern, by a good bit. And, since you stocked 3-5" bluegill rather than fingerlings, it's about a 100% bet that your bluegill spawned this year, probably two or three times over the course of the summer. Ten bass have no chance whatsoever at controlling the bluegill that are already in your pond, and when next spring gets here you could really be in bad shape.

I will qualify this by saying that, if you only care about bass, those ten bass are loving life right now, and will get very large. But there's a very decent chance that unless you stocked them very early this year and they got in a successful spawn, that by next spring when they try to spawn there will be such a multitude of bluegill raiding their nests for the eggs and then any fry that manage to hatch, that no bass from that spawn will survive, and that the scenario will repeat the following spring and the one after that and the one after that (but worsening as the bluegill get more and more out of hand), until those ten bass die and your pond has no bass. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen a pond completely stuffed with tiny, horribly stunted bluegill and not a LMB left in it, I'd have a bunch of dollars. I'm working right now with just such a pond.

So now that I've forecast gloom and doom, I'll qualify it by saying, I haven't seen your pond. I could fish it for an hour and tell you whether it's balanced or overpopulated, and if so, how badly it's overpopulated; not being there, I would suggest either just to fish it yourself, if you're a pretty good angler, or barring that, either go all-out and hire a reputable pond manager like Shawn to electrofish it, or if you're on a budget just invite someone you know who has a reputation for being an exceptional angler to fish it for an hour or two. They might do it for free, or barring that, maybe a beer or two, $50, whatever. You can tell pretty well whether the bluegill are overpopulated just from four or five bluegill. If the first four bluegill caught average 4" or less and are skinny, they're probably overpopulated; if they have heads that seem too large for their bodies and average 3" or less, they're definitely overpopulated; if they average 6" or better (for your pond, one year old) and are fat with heads that don't seem large for their bodies, or if there is a wide range of sizes with some large ones and some small ones that still seem pretty healthy, the pond is in good shape right now. Don't quote me on these sizes as this is just me trying to explain to you via typing what is much easier to determine in person actually looking at the fish.

If you want big bluegill, you most definitely should add more bass, yesterday. I would add 40 or 50 8-10" right away. If you want both big bluegill and big bass you still should add at least 25. The key if you want big fish of both species will be very careful, documented harvesting on a yearly schedule of both species such that your total biomass stays well below the maximum capacity of the pond.

Last edited by Walt Foreman; 07/20/09 10:18 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
According to my old squaw, I never throw anything away and am sometimes careless about my appearance. Those white shoes had been laying around in the back of my pickup for some time. It could be that his visibility was a little bit better due to the slightly faded condition of the shoes.

Walt, my experience is only in Texas and we just don't have much of a problem (never seen one) with stunted BG's. With bass, they don't get a chance to stunt and we soon have stunted bass due to the abundance of food and overeating it. If there are no bass, a DO crash usually corrects the overpopulation problems in smaller ponds. I get one every year on a small forage pond and it is about due.

I have heard about the stocking of bass a year before stocking BG but never done it. What kind of forage do you stock with the bass?

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 07/21/09 08:26 AM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
In a typical northern pond where a balance is the goal would involve stocking FHM a year before any other fish. Allow the FHM to explode in the pond so they are thick. Then it varies with the sizes of the fish. In northern ponds the idea is simple. Stock the bass first and allow them to gorge themselves on FHM for a year so they can put on size. The further north you go, you may even want to give them two full years of growth or at least stock advanced fingerlings. You want your bass to just be small enough to not be able to eat the original BG you stock. So say you are stocking 3"-4" BG, you'd want 8" or so LMB at that time. If you are stocking 2"-3" BG you'd want 4"-5" LMB. Knowing bass up north grow slower, you just want to make sure they are big enough to keep up with all the BG spawns. The bass will not reach trophy size, but will do well. The BG won't hit trophy size, but will do well. A good balance number is 5 to 1, and I am even a fan of 3 to 1 particularly if GSH are also stocked, BG to LMB.

I agree with what Mark Cornwell says in an article he wrote originally printed in Pond Boss. In it, he says this about growing nice sized bass in a northern ponds reference what to stock:

Originally Posted By: http://www.bassresource.com
Starting Your Baitfish Cocktail
By Mark Cornwell

Every year I get plenty of calls from brand new pond owners asking similar questions. You may have asked the same question. "I just built a new pond, what should I stock for baitfish?" Answers depend on how and for what you want to manage your pond. Just about every one of these proud new pond owners ultimately want bass. And, more likely than not, most folks are in a hurry to get bass started.
Here is the first advice I give them ... Be patient!
In northern ponds the best bet for bass forage is to stock a cocktail of fathead minnows, golden shiners, crayfish and in some circumstances, bluegill.
Wait at least a full year before stocking any bass, largemouth or smallmouth. For the first year consider your bass pond a bait pond. Manage it for baitfish. This might mean fertilizing to promote a plankton bloom to assist survival and growth of thousands of young fish. It might mean supplemental feeding to speed the growth process a bit. Baitfish production in the first years can spell success of a northern bass pond. Lack of baitfish spells small, stunted, slow growing bass.
In the spring of the year after new pond construction is complete and there is plenty of water, stock with fathead minnows, golden shiners and local species of crayfish which like muddy pond bottoms.
Fatheads are prolific, often spawning multiple times during warmer months. Spawning begins about 60- 65�F and ends at 80�F. Females deposit eggs on undersides of firm objects such as flat rocks, wood, lilies, tires, pallets and similar substrate. You need firm, solid substrate in shallow water. Having solid spawning habitat is essential to breeding success. Some enterprising pondmeisters make removable structures by tossing in wooden freight pallets with ropes attached. When spawning activity stops, remove the pallets and store for next year. Don't remove structure too early though, there may be eggs attached.
Males build nests and help attach sticky fertile eggs to the clean, round spot of choice. A fathead minnow nest is about as big as a silver dollar and tiny egg masses have a grayish color tint. The male guards the nest until hatching, and then scrapes the nest clean for the next batch.
Fatheads cultured in an extensive (no feeding) situation can produce hundreds of pounds of minnows in a year, starting with just 5 pounds per acre in the spring. When stocking broodfish fatheads, the tendency is to stock the largest breeders you can find. This may not be the best strategy since males are usually larger than females and best results are achieved when you stock four or five females to every male. Buying fatheads 'pond run' makes the most sense. In breeding season, males have a dark head and spikes, called tubercles, on their heads. These bumps are used to make and guard the nest. Since males spend their entire time making and guarding nests, mortality of the biggest, oldest, male brood fish is high after spawning; consequently the recommendation to stock younger, smaller fish along with large ones, for replacement. 'Pond run' stocking helps keep the reproductive effort at full throttle throughout late spring and all summer. Fathead minnows reach maturity before age one and rarely live more than 18 months. Fatheads are a nice choice because they eat a wide range of foods including algae, insect larvae, zooplankton and dead organic material (detritus). The latter is important because fatheads continue to forage when one or more food items is gone. Detritus is available for food in nearly all pond circumstances, even new ponds. Fatheads commonly forage in near-shore shallow water. They can be purchased from bait wholesalers dirt cheap. I have recently seen them sold in the North in the range of $2.50-$10 per pound. Fathead minnows won't break the bank.
Hold the bass. Still, be patient.
In most northern ponds or small lakes the next thing to consider stocking is golden shiners. Golden shiners are intermittent spawners, which mean they can spawn throughout the northern summer from May to August when water temperatures climb above 68�F. In the South this season may be extended from March to October. But, when water temperatures rise much above 80 degrees, spawning stops. Golden shiners broadcast their eggs over vegetation or filamentous algae. If your new pond lacks submerged vegetation or filamentous algae, use mats of straw or hay and place in shallow areas peripherally (Forney, 1958). In the North, shiners mature at age two, but in the South time to maturity has reportedly been as short as 7-8 months. Ponds stocked with 20 or so pounds of brood shiners can produce 100-200 pounds or more of baby shiners in a year. Shiners will forage in open waters of the pond, cropping off insect larvae, zooplankton, some filamentous algae and occasionally other fish larvae. They have been known to be predatory, limited only by their small mouth size. When stocking, buy shiners which are 2-3 years old or 4-6" in length. These are your "golden cows" and will often live to 7-9 years of age. Both golden shiners and fathead minnows should be stocked by May 1st in northern ponds, earlier in the South. Don't stock those bass yet.
Next up, stock crayfish. You can put these clawed creatures in your pond when stocking fatheads and shiners ... or stock in the fall months before. There are many species of crayfish and are hard to tell apart. Acquire crayfish stock from a reputable dealer who tells you they have come from a mud-bottom pond. In the North this usually means stocking paper shell crayfish or "grass crabs" as they are sometimes called by bait dealers. In New York and other northern areas, paper shell crayfish are probably the best species of crayfish to stock for pond culture. Paper shell crayfish are the only species of recommended by the Cornell Cooperative Extension (Forney, 1958) for pond culture. If you wait until spring to stock them make sure that the females are "berried" or have eggs under their tails. Crayfish should be stocked at 500-1000 per acre and by August of the first summer you should have thousands of 2.5" crayfish that will be future fish food. These young will stay in their burrows during the day and may not be evident milling around the pond. In the North these crayfish burrow into the mud in the late fall and winter months. Increased yield of crayfish and other shore loving bait can be increased by shoreline scalloping by increasing the amount of habitat for these critters to live and eat.
No! Not yet! Please, no bass.
But Mark! My pond is a BASS POND! No it isn't. It will be. The first three years it is focused as a BAIT POND. I would not stock a single bass until the pond has gone through one full year of bait production and for the first three years bait should dominate, not bass.
Before we get to bluegill let's talk about what is supposed to happen with the first mix of fish. In the first year of the pond, fatheads rule. They will go crazy and produce mucho pounds of bait. If the correct conditions exist (food and structure) they will dominate the pond and be visible everywhere. Meanwhile the "golden cow" shiners will be producing crops of their own and getting bigger. We want these golden shiners big. Fatheads are happily foraging along shore; shiners are foraging out in the open water. Crayfish are eating and breeding along the bottom and burrowing in when times get tough. No bass. No one is getting eaten. A northern pond baitfish Mecca.
Now, drum roll please... the bass! If you have excellent willpower you may want to let the baitfish cruise through two full growing seasons before stocking bass. Most pond owners I know can barely wait through one season. So, if you must, stock small (4-6') bass. Why so small? The small bass will hone in on those fatheads and pound the heck out of them. While the bass are growing bigger by eating fathead's near shore, your golden shiners are slipping under their radar and producing plenty of young. The original year class and as many as two additional year classes of golden shiners will get through mild bass predation because they will start out too big for small bass to eat. Several years of additional production will come from these "golden cow" shiners. While this is happening, paper shell crayfish are also flying under the radar.
But sadly, (and expectedly) the minnow banquet ends. I give this cocktail a life span of about 5-10 year's post-bass stocking. In most ponds you'll be hard pressed to find a single fathead minnow 3 years after stocking bass. A pond loaded with enough fatheads to walk across will be eaten down to none and recruitment of young shiners to spawning size will eventually be cut off by bass predation. Some paper shells will make it and may even persist despite being targeted by the bass. However, great bass growth is most often driven by them eating other fish so you will miss those minnows! But during those years the bass in your pond should have excellent growth. Eventually, the unfortunate conclusion is bass eating bass. Bass are pigs. Not happy with this scenario?
To bluegill or not to bluegill? That is the question. I know, I know. I have studied tried and true methods of stocking bass/bluegill ponds, and in the south, bluegill rules. But, that's not necessarily the case north of the Mason-Dixon line. If you stock bluegill you may want to do it at the same time you stock bass. My experiences with bluegill are mostly bad. They often overpopulate small ponds and stunt, while raising problems with bass reproduction. Bluegill often mob and rob bass nests and cause bass to have low reproductive success. See, in northern ponds bass growth very slow. A 14 inch largemouth bass may be five or six years old. So, the dynamics between bluegill and bass are very different. If you stock bluegill, you should fish the heck out of them as they mature. In small northern ponds this means removing 4-5 pounds of bluegill for every pound of bass. Few people, including me, have that kind of patience. However, they do offer increased angling opportunity, especially for kids. This should enter into your thinking. As an aside, you may design your pond with steep sides where bluegill will find the habitat inhospitable for spawning.
So then, what is a pond owner to do? Are you doomed to have a bass pond where bass are eating just bass? No and Yes, depending on your situation. No, if you have a larger body of water (like a small lake) where yellow perch or another fish can ultimately buffer some of the bass predation and the lake may have areas where forage can find refuge from bass. There are some excellent bass, perch, bluegill and golden shiner lakes that are 15-100 acres. Yes, you may be doomed to bass on bass if you have a small pond with little habitat diversity. Cheer up! I have seen some really nice bass on bass ponds, with some surprisingly large bass in them. What will slow down the progression toward an all bass pond? Maybe smallmouth bass instead of largemouth bass, but that is another story!

I am a big fan of patience when stocking. Particularly when it comes to balanced ponds and trophy bass ponds. Trophy BG ponds probably don't need quite the patience. Although I think stocking grass shrimp and giving them a healthy jump start would be similar to GSH for bass...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I understand the dynamics but do not have as much experience up north. However Walt it is EXTREMELY rare for me to see stunted bluegill anymore. One in 100 lakes we shock and only on lakes that receive heavy fishing pressure or some major high trash fish or gizzard shad population. I understand everything you (and I think CJ agree here) are saying. I again think it is easy to correct stunted bg add more bass. So if Jimmy wants good bass watch them if bluegill numbers continue to increase add a few more bass.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks Travis. I now remember that it was Mark Cornwell who wrote that article in the Mag. Personally, I don't think I have met a pond owner with 3 years of patience.

I find that the key to creating a big BG/big bass pond is the first year. Some BG will naturally get a growth jump start on the others in that first year. We call them "hog outs". Since they spawn here at 3 to 4 inches and live on fry of fatheads and small BG, they keep going. When the bass are added, they have a smorgasbord for the first 2 years and put on a lot of size.

Then the character builders start. The bass spawn and start picking off the smaller BG that are the future of the food chain. This is when we find that creating a nice balanced fishery is a lot easier than maintaining it. A whole lot easier.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows