Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (emactxag, catscratch, Sunil, KenHorton, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 1,151 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#173681 07/14/09 10:15 AM
O
Omaha Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Since digging has begun on my small pond, I'm thinking ahead and wanting some suggestions on what plants to try to get established. Currently, the surrounding foliage makes getting around quite difficult. It's very thick and consists of nettles and poison ivy, obviously 2 weeds I'd like to eradicate and substitute with something more desirable. Other than that, there are "wild carrots", native grasses, mulberries, variety of thorned weeds (these are few and far between so not worried), and some others that aren't noteworthy. I've done a little reading, but am still very unknowing about what I should expect or what I should encourage. I've read some positive things about pickerel weeds, water willows, muskgrass (chara), blue flag iris, sweet flag, sago pondweed, water milfoil, hornwort, curly pondweed, etc., but I believe most, or all, are actual aquatic plants, not plants for the surrounding areas. I do want to know which pond plants to look into however, but am more interested at this point in getting the banks covered with something much more pleasant than what it currently has. Grass is ideal, of course, for walking around, but not quite as natural looking. For a Nebraska pond, small pond, 1/3 acre or so, what plants, in all areas, bank, shoreline, submerged, floating, etc., should I be considering when the time comes?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I am in the first summer of my pond in Michigan. I have been very happy with pickerel weed (great flower), sweet flag, and arrowhead. Some of the stuff you listed is invasive, so be careful. The stuff I stated grow from the shoreline to a foot deep. There are other things starting to grow, so I suggest that you do not plant too much the first year, and wait and see what grows in the water naturally.

The best advice I got was to get something down around the pond on the ground as soon as possible. I used an annual rye. It helps hold the banks and keeps mud from running into the pond while you decide what to add later. We are slowly growing a wild flower/prairie around our 1/2 acre pond using native seeds for the midwest.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Some good on-line stores that sell native plants that also have section devoted to plants adapted to areas next to ponds and wetlands themselves...

http://www.nativeseednetwork.org/ecomap?state=NE

http://www.prairienursery.com/store/

http://wetlandsupply.com/

http://www.prairiemoon.com/

As others have said, get a good base plant down. Annual rye works well for that. Often times I will mix the annual rye in with the native seeds. 40 lbs of rye and whatever the recommended seeding rate is for the seeds you decide you want.

O
Omaha Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
CJ, thanks for the links. However, there are soooooo many to choose from. How do you know which ones will work best? I will definitely go with the annual rye as a base and take my time on the aquatic stuff.

O
Omaha Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Oh, one other thing, for the ryegrass on a new pond, do you plant inside the shoreline while it's filling? To keep the mud down during these months while it fills or is that not necessary?

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
It is a good thing to plant the inside of the pond before it fills. As you noted it helps slow erosion pre-fill, and that grass that grows also provides habitat for small fish/invertebrates during the first year or so after filling.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I would plant the whole pond basis and just let the grass and clover be covered as the pond fills. Should really cut down on erosion and the rotting plants will fuel the first stages of life in the new pond.

Give me some time and I'll put together a list of favorites of mine for your pond...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
good way to get rid of the nettles is to cook it and eat it! \:D

To Dam or not to dam

That isn't even a question
O
Omaha Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I would plant the whole pond basis and just let the grass and clover be covered as the pond fills. Should really cut down on erosion and the rotting plants will fuel the first stages of life in the new pond.

Give me some time and I'll put together a list of favorites of mine for your pond...

That'd be great CJ. And I think it's a fine idea to cover the whole basin while it fills. Just makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Beaver Boy
good way to get rid of the nettles is to cook it and eat it! \:D

Wow, the idea of having a those little white bumps in my throat is intriguing.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I did not cover the whole basin and really paid for it with a couple of hard rains when the pond was half full. I probably lost a foot or two of depth from all of the mud.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

O
Omaha Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Ouch.

Definitely will cover the whole basin. What's a good store to get the seeds?

Lunker
Lunker
What about using winter wheat, buckwheat, or oats for a cover in the pond basin while the pond fills? Very cheap seed, easy to grow, germinates fast and will reseed itself if the pond dosn't fill fast

O
Omaha Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: lassig
What about using winter wheat, buckwheat, or oats for a cover in the pond basin while the pond fills? Very cheap seed, easy to grow, germinates fast and will reseed itself if the pond dosn't fill fast

Wheat was suggested to me initially as well, but recently been hearing more and more that rye is the way to go.

Lunker
Lunker
Are you talking rye grass seed or rye cereal grain? Most rye grass seed is annual and used mostly in mixes. If the pond doesn't fill the first year you could end up with bare ground and have to seed again. I am seriously thinking of using buckwheat, grows on bad soil, requires no fertilization, and reseeds very easily by itself. And if we get water to flood the buckwheat the possibility of so very good duck hunting. I am only 1.5 miles off the the Illinois river very near some historically extremely good waterfowl hunting.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Annual rye is quick and fast. A good endophyte-free perennial rye might be good around the pond if you will be mowing. Otherwise consider native warm-season grasses. Once established, some 2,4-D can help keep out the broadleave weeds. Once the weeds are gone, desirable forbs can be added.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM