Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Painterpond, Energymble, Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann
18,533 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,018
Posts558,558
Members18,534
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
10 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, nvcdl, Ron crismon, Sunil, tim k, Fishingadventure, etx-pond-c, Eagle26, RogersTailgate), 627 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#173885 07/15/09 01:16 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Decided to start my own post as I butted in on Cecil's last week concerning his experience with Hydrothol 191. Spread a 40lb bucket around my 1/3 acre pond as I had a pretty bad case of either Sago, Southern Naiad, or Widgeon Grass. Very similar so not sure. Also had a decent amount of algae as my pond collects alot of run-off from the bean fields around me. And in June we had a lot of rain, so the fertilizer made my algae and weeds go crazy!!

The Hydrothol appears to be doing it's job for me. The algae is nearly gone, although I did also spray a gallon of Cutrine + in there also. The weeds are turning a "pretty" shade of brown and appear to be shrinking down. They were growing up to the surface and kinda floating, but have sunk down below now. I know Hydrothol is a slow acting herbicide so I don't expect a complete kill this soon. But it does appear to be slowly taking care of my problems and I think I may have my pond back again soon!!

Cecil didn't appear to have much success with the Hydrothol, but at this stage it seems to be kicking some butt in my pond!!

Brian S.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brian S.
Decided to start my own post as I butted in on Cecil's last week concerning his experience with Hydrothol 191. Spread a 40lb bucket around my 1/3 acre pond as I had a pretty bad case of either Sago, Southern Naiad, or Widgeon Grass. Very similar so not sure. Also had a decent amount of algae as my pond collects alot of run-off from the bean fields around me. And in June we had a lot of rain, so the fertilizer made my algae and weeds go crazy!!

The Hydrothol appears to be doing it's job for me. The algae is nearly gone, although I did also spray a gallon of Cutrine + in there also. The weeds are turning a "pretty" shade of brown and appear to be shrinking down. They were growing up to the surface and kinda floating, but have sunk down below now. I know Hydrothol is a slow acting herbicide so I don't expect a complete kill this soon. But it does appear to be slowly taking care of my problems and I think I may have my pond back again soon!!

Cecil didn't appear to have much success with the Hydrothol, but at this stage it seems to be kicking some butt in my pond!!

Brian S.

Good for you Brian! Perhaps I just didn't use enough, but I was afraid to use much more as it can be lethal to fish. And I no longer had a full bucket as I had used it on another smaller pond.

Instead as I may have mentioned in my previous thread I went the mechanical removal route. I just got done doing the rest of the perimeter of my pond out from the shore up to 25 feet with a weed cutter. Still have to do some touch up here and there but I think I've got most of it. Hopefully there isn't much farther out where the dye is keeping down light penetration.

Next year I will be applying Sonar and probably adding some grass carp for the Chara. I will probably also continue to use the dye although it looks like I need to apply 2 gallons each time.

Oops I think I butt into your thread. \:o If it's any consolation I didn't consider yours a butt in. Sorry!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Cecil,
This is an all butting thread!! Glad you made your comments. Yes went back and pulled a few weeds out and they are definitely brown and shriveling. So it's actually working faster than I anticipated. I had a fairly large fish kill last winter, have added a few smaller varieties, but wasn't that concerned about over applying the Hydrothol. So far haven't seen anything dead, except for the weeds and algae!! So I guess I know what I'll be adding next spring to starve off the growth before it gets a foothold.It is strange how some products work well for one pond, but not for another. Guess you have to use trial and error.

I'll keep you posted on any other updates or changes, but for now very pleased with the results!!!!

Brian S.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Today is the eighth day after adding my Hydrothol. I went back and looked and most of the pondweed has settled into the dirt and pretty much out of sight. Some of the most infected areas it still shows some, but still settling down to nothing. Didn't think the Hydrothol would work quite this quickly, but is doing the trick in my pond. Water has been clearer, but with the amount of weed growth decaying, not as bad as it could be.

Brian S.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds like you are progressing along great... Did you happen to take pics of the progress? If so, post them for all to see.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
No like a bonehead I didn't!! The pondweed wouldn't have showed up that much anyhow as it just grew to the surface and kinda floated. The algae was just covering maybe 15% of the pond, but I had raked most of that off before treating. But it does look better than I've seen it in a few years as the pondweed has been growing and multiplying and I hadn't done anything to treat it besides pulling by hand. And that just seemed to stimulate more growth!! Had held off spending $150 on chemicals, but decided to take the plunge and glad I did! Probably have to throw some Hydrothol in next spring before things get growing this time!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
CityDad, DiamondDave, the stick
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:54 PM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 04:37 PM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by FishinRod - 05/19/24 09:06 AM
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/18/24 05:17 PM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure
by canyoncreek - 05/17/24 11:57 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by H20fwler - 05/17/24 10:51 AM
Bird Deter for patio furniture....
by Energymble - 05/17/24 04:46 AM
BG sex?