Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch, Pat Williamson), 1,429 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well we're back at our pond property in Northern California. This is the first time we've been here since November 2008 and it shows. Field grass is a yard high, and the place generally looks neglected. Much different than how we left it in 2008. As we drove down the slight incline to the ranch gate we noticed that two trees had fallen across our entrance road. Fortunately they were both only 20 foot high pines and Ricki was able to drag them out of the way so I could drive onto the ranch. The battery was dead in the Polarius Ranger, so I had to jump start it to get her off and running. Spent the tail end of yesterday, after our 500 mile drive up here, cutting the pine trees, getting the Ranger started and just generally setting up camp.

Today we weed wacked a swath through the field grass down by the pond so we could get a look see at the pond. The pond looks better than I thought it would. It's only down about 18 inches from full pool (that's not bad for this time of year). The Elodea is pretty much gone but the American Pond Weed has come on with a vengence. Fish are jumping everywhere, bull frogs are making there presence known. Overall the pond looks beautiful! After 3 hours of weed wacking in the heat we donned our swim gear and jumped into the pond. Dang that felt so good. Floating around the pond just enjoying getting cooled off. A bunch of rogue YOY bass decided that Ricki was on the menu and attacked. She bravely fended them off - they're aggressive little guys.

We're going to treat the American Pond Weed and I also have a new weed to identify. I'm going to use the Reward/Cutrine mix we used last year to blast the American Pond Weed.

Tomorrow more weed wacking is in store and fishing in the afternoon (perhaps an evening fishing session will occur tonight but right now we're tired and sore and just trying to stay out of the 90+ degree heat). One of my arch rivals here on Pond Boss sent me some lures that I'm dying to try out. He's hoping it will catch GSF but I'm quite sure that I'll slaughter some BG with it. I'm not sure if he wanted to remain unnamed so I shall not mention his name but this act of generosity is a great reminder of the wonder people that we have on these forums. In times of happiness and in times of tragedy we have become one large family that I'm so glad I am a part of.

All is going great and I'm so glad I can stay connected to Pond Boss while here at the pond property.

DIED and I have been playing telephone tag but we'll get connected and I'm sure find some form of trouble to engage in.

Being here enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of nature completely reminds me why I want to be a Pond Boss.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Sounds like it is going to be a fine summer.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
As we drove down the slight incline to the ranch gate we noticed that two trees had fallen across our entrance road. Fortunately they were both only 20 foot high pines and Ricki was able to drag them out of the way so I could drive onto the ranch.

I'm glad to see that the MLM (Man's Liberation Movement) is alive and well in Northern California!

Anyway, glad to hear that you made it safely, and that your new Internet connection works.

I hope that you and Ricki have a great vacation.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
The joys of pond ownership. Have fun you guys.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome home, Hasaponds.
Give us a review on the new USB Mercury connection and performance.
(edit; oops... found your report on the other thread in this forum)

Last edited by Brettski; 07/13/09 07:44 PM. Reason: slow surfer
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
JHAP, do you have someone keep an eye on the property since your away for so long? You wouldn't want to get there and find someone had decided to take up residence. ;\)

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I'm glad to see that the MLM (Man's Liberation Movement) is alive and well in Northern California!

I thought I might catch some hell for that. I could have lied and said I dragged them out of the way but that was the way it happened.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo

I thought I might catch some hell for that. I could have lied and said I dragged them out of the way but that was the way it happened.

Jeff -- this could be the perfect opportunity. It sounds like you really a new 4WD tractor with loader, frame backhoe, and multiple implements. You probably need a new chainsaw, hardhat, come-along, some chains, good ropes, a 3-point hitch shredder . . .

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Re: "Dang it's good to be here again"

Great post JHAP, you and Ricki have a great time.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Welcome home.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
A well deserved vacation or a ton of work to be done. Either way it is still a great day in paradise !!!

Last edited by ewest; 07/13/09 09:01 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You should set a bear trap while your there for the week, I have heard there have been many bear sightings in your neck of the woods lately...........Just simply dig a big hole and fill it with THREE LBS of ashes from your campfire and line the edges with 47 leftover green pees from dinner. When the bear comes up to take a pee, just kick him in the ash hole!

Last edited by n8ly; 07/14/09 06:55 AM. Reason: DD1 had some brilliant suggestions, and the Hasaponds are MIA so far.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
N8ly:

I thought that was an Ice fishing story.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Jeff, I hope to follow in your shoes and see my pond wednesday. Like you, we've not been there since last November.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Enjoy it Jeff.

Nate, you blew it. You didn't specify the exact number of peas/pees. Beancounters live in a very structured world with no leeway for judgment or error.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We havent heard from the Hasaponds for some time, hopefully they got him in the ash hole???

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hope you're getting to stay for a long time!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Glad you made it. get to doing some Wr work on those bass. My favorite statement "Fortunately they were both only 20 foot high pines and Ricki was able to drag them out of the way so I could drive onto the ranch." Jeff you got a good one in Ricki. I hope you guys enjoy your time there after the family passing, nice place to think about the fond memories I'm sure.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Hope you're getting to stay for a long time!

... since we get to hear from you while you're there, now.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
We're going to treat the American Pond Weed and I also have a new weed to identify. I'm going to use the Reward/Cutrine mix we used last year to blast the American Pond Weed.

Your fish will be mad if you kill their American Pond Weed \:\(

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
we'll figger somethin out jhap.

edit, i forgot to mention you are blessed my friend, i havent been able to get DWIED to drag tree trunks around for over 10 yrs......

Last edited by dave in el dorado ca; 07/14/09 03:39 PM.

GSF are people too!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Fish Wife will drag trees for me, but insists on using a tractor.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JEFF, GIVE US AN UPDATE!!!!!

What kind of sick joke are you playing here? I have checked this forum 6 times now with no update!

Last edited by n8ly; 07/15/09 01:38 PM. Reason: added some info

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Update:

Weed wacking, weed wacking and more weed wacking. Man I hate weed wackers now. Normally we would use our field mower but everything is too dry to mow and local Fire Safety Council officer would arrest me and force me to eat Brussell Sprouts with Bacon. (Betcha can't guess who the Fire Safety Council officer is can ya?).

We fished yesterday and Ricki caught three tiny bass. We were fishing during the wrong time of the day (high noon and man was it hot - the Aluminum boat was so hot you couldn't touch the sides, as I'm sitting here right now at just about 5pm it's 100 here, YIKES). We're gonna do a sunset fishing session this evening. Ricki spotted one large bass trolling the shoreline. She said it was bigger than the 4 pounder I caught last year.

We're getting the place whipped (or weed wacked) into shape (I said whip it, whip it good) we've got some paths cleared to get from one place to another. This morning we treated some of the American Pond Weed with the Reward/Cutrine mix. Don't worry Dwight we're not killing all of the American Pond Weed, we're just trying to keep in under control. We like to have some areas of it in the pond but we don't want it to take over the pond like the Elodea did.

This morning we saw a deer, and a pair of California Quayle and their young. Red tailed hawks are patrolling the sky as are turkey vultures. The pond looks really good. It is a banner year for Bull Frogs, we are seeing the most number of bull frog pollywogs that we have ever seen.

It's great to be here, I'm looking forward to getting together with Dave and Jean. He's busy but I'm gonna bother him one way or the other.

And now in response to your questions and comments....

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Ok Natester so the bear trap worked wonders. But now I have a problem. You see I'm up to my Ash Hole in angry bears. Now what the hell do I do?????

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build