Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
8 members (Boondoggle, emactxag, Theo Gallus, Snipe, Lake8, Theeck, Augie, FishinRod), 843 guests, and 368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#172231 07/07/09 09:04 PM
W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
We stocked our 1/3 acre pond last Fall with Perch in the 4-6" range.
They seem to be doing well.
Problem is when we go fishing about 1/2 of them seem to swallow the hook.
Other fish - RES, SMB, CC don't seem to have this problem.

We have been de-barbing the hooks but the gut hooked ones still end up as floaters.

Any suggestions for a minimum hook size?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Wivell, What size you using?, I use a long shank hook, debarbed and bent inward like a circle hook, size 6 seems to work good for small trout and panfish.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
AP good suggestion. Wivell, I have had some similar problems, so I always fish with jigs now - usually 1/16 or 1/32 tipped with plastic or a nub O crawler. Never had one gut hooked since.

If you are live bait fishing I really love True Turn sz 8 wire minnow hooks...never gut hooked with a true turn - the baitholders you are using are notorious for gut hooking - the true turns pop right into their mouths when setting the hook every time. If you also pinch the barbs I imagine it would be foolproof.

How are your YP growing? I stocked 4-6" last sept myself and am up to around 8-9". How are you fishing for them?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Perch that age should have a fair sized mouth. Try a circle hook around 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the mouth opening. They try to swallow the circle hooks too, but when you pull, the circle hook doesn't snag in the gullet as often. It usually snags when it changes direction, which is usually in the corner of the mouth.

Lunker
Lunker
Small circle hooks are a great idea.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
In addition to the advice on the hooks are you using a float? If so, do you have enough weight under the float to make it really sensitive? If not set sensitive many times the fish swallows the bait before you know it. I always set the hook at the slightest nibble using a float that has enough weight to make it sensitive whem I first start fishing. If I keep missing the fish I wait slightly longer until I figure out the best time to set the hook.

If you really want a sensitive float try a Quill bobber. If set correctly you could detect a fish fry size bite with that one!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Wivell, What size you using?, I use a long shank hook, debarbed and bent inward like a circle hook, size 6 seems to work good for small trout and panfish.

Thanks AP. I'm not sure what size the hooks are - my 13 year old son is the main fisherman. He spends about 2 hours a day at the pond. My best guess is the hooks are a size 8.
I'll have to look into the hooks you decribed.

W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
AP good suggestion. Wivell, I have had some similar problems, so I always fish with jigs now - usually 1/16 or 1/32 tipped with plastic or a nub O crawler. Never had one gut hooked since.

If you are live bait fishing I really love True Turn sz 8 wire minnow hooks...never gut hooked with a true turn - the baitholders you are using are notorious for gut hooking - the true turns pop right into their mouths when setting the hook every time. If you also pinch the barbs I imagine it would be foolproof.

How are your YP growing? I stocked 4-6" last sept myself and am up to around 8-9". How are you fishing for them?

Tee - True Turn sounds good, We'll give those a try.

We stocked in early Nov. I haven't measured anything lately but I'd say they average 7-8" right now. We have been feeding some pellets but I think the only thing eating them is the dozen CC in the pond. There's a few RES on spawning beds and they will try the pellets but spit them out. We haven't seen any YP or SMB eating pellets.

Still seem to have a decent amount of FHM in the pond. We put 10 lb in 4 months ahead of the other fish stocking and they spawned a number of times. Walking the shoreline we can see lots of FHM in all sizes.

W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
In addition to the advice on the hooks are you using a float? If so, do you have enough weight under the float to make it really sensitive? If not set sensitive many times the fish swallows the bait before you know it. I always set the hook at the slightest nibble using a float that has enough weight to make it sensitive whem I first start fishing. If I keep missing the fish I wait slightly longer until I figure out the best time to set the hook.

If you really want a sensitive float try a Quill bobber. If set correctly you could detect a fish fry size bite with that one!

Cecil - good idea on early hook setting. Last night my 7 year old daughter caught a perch but it had swallowed the hook. She was using a bobber, worms and 2 split shot above a swivel. She had numerous bites and was trying to set the hook early with no luck. This one took the bobber under so I guess she'll need to try a little sooner.

She was upset the fish died.....

W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Perch that age should have a fair sized mouth. Try a circle hook around 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the mouth opening. They try to swallow the circle hooks too, but when you pull, the circle hook doesn't snag in the gullet as often. It usually snags when it changes direction, which is usually in the corner of the mouth.

Thanks Bobad. Looks like some circle hooks in a size 6 are in order.

The kids fish with worms dug up around the yard so hopefully the circle hooks will work OK for this.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
This is going to sound terrible but here goes. My nephew's son wants to fish my ponds really bad. And I would love to have him do so but due to my high value fish I can't risk it. Why? Because from my experience kids allow a lot of fish to swallow the hook. I've seen it time and time again vs. a veteran angler.

Sorry!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Cecil, that doesn't sound terrible to me. For you your fish are your lively hood, that is completely different from most of us. I've never fished my pond with live bait and a bobber.

With DIED we've added chucks of worm to a fly or jig but no bobber. Using an ultra light tackle we rarely (almost never) gut hook our fish. And this isn't because I'm a great fishman because I'm a complete amature. Like most everyone else here we de-barb all of our hooks.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
#6 and #8 hooks seem awful small to me. I do the majority of my bluegill fising with #2 long shank gold hooks, with the barbs crushed. That is still small enough to catch 4-5-inch bluegill, but few fish, even up to 11 inches, swallow that size hook. The smallest circle hook I'd use would be a #4.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Cecil,

I understand your pain. Your operation is in a whole other league than mine.

I'm disappointed when the perch are gut hooked. I just hope we start to have some spawning next year - then I won't be thinking about the $$ \:\)

I'm not about to keep the kids from fishing though.

W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
#6 and #8 hooks seem awful small to me. I do the majority of my bluegill fising with #2 long shank gold hooks, with the barbs crushed. That is still small enough to catch 4-5-inch bluegill, but few fish, even up to 11 inches, swallow that size hook. The smallest circle hook I'd use would be a #4.

Thanks Catmandoo. I'm heading to Gander Mountain at lunch time to round up some new hooks.
Hope they have some barbless circle hooks or long shanks...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Barbed hooks can be made barbless with a pair of pliers relatively easily, just as long as they aren't Owner or Gamagatsu brand hooks. Those are made from pretty tough steel!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Barbed hooks can be made barbless with a pair of pliers relatively easily, just as long as they aren't Owner or Gamagatsu brand hooks. Those are made from pretty tough steel!

I've been smashing down the barbs - would rather just buy the barbless if available.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: wivell

Thanks Catmandoo. I'm heading to Gander Mountain at lunch time to round up some new hooks.
Hope they have some barbless circle hooks or long shanks...

They should have long shank gold hooks by Eagle Claw. I think the circle hooks are from Mustad -- they are red. Gander Mountain is where I've gotten most of my hooks.

If you aren't familiar with hook sizes, here is a good discussion of fish hooks. Just remember, I was referring to #2 or #4, not 2/0 or 4/0.

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W

Thanks Ken - I knew which hook sizes you were referring to.
I'll probably try some of each hook.

Scott

Last edited by wivell; 07/08/09 10:42 AM.

W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
Success - kids caught 5 perch tonight on a #4 circle hook, all hooked in the lip.

On side note, my son caught 3 SMB on a lure and was asking about the hole put in their lip - rather large according to him.

How long do those take to heal?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It all depends I'd say... As long as they are getting good food and the water quality is fine. Perhaps a week or two, but I am saying that is just a WAG on my part.

W
wivell Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
W
CJBS2003

Thanks for the reply. My son had asked and I had no clue.
Figured I should at least inquire here so I could give him some answer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday