Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (PRCS, FishinRod, Boondoggle, esshup, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 707 guests, and 200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#171190 07/02/09 07:23 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've had it with the masked bandit! He unceremoniously greeted my wife two days ago when she opened the storage door to our chicken coop.

In the last week he has killed three chickens and a duck. Over the last several weeks he's eaten the latch off my tackle box and ruined a number of my expensive baits. He's stolen the creel off the dock. He's found out how to get the lid off my 50 pound feed canisters that hold fish and fowl feed. He's had diarrhea in the chicken feed and oyster shell containers after eating large quantities of it. He's eaten at least a dozen eggs -- probably more. He's left large piles of "tell tale signs" all over the roof of the chicken coop, and inside too.

I've wired and patched the chicken run repeatedly, but he always finds a way to muscle his way in somewhere else. (It is 16 sections of 6x10 ft. chain link dog kennel panels with chicken wire over the top.)

I'm going catfish fishing in a few minutes. Besides my fishing equipment, I'm taking my big spot light, the 12-gauge, and my 30-30.

If I don't get him -- any suggestions?

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
At my old house which is on the market, the racoons come up onto my rear deck via the stairs and an adjacent tree.

And they have just crapped everywhere up there. I have to go and hose off the deck every few days to make sure some potential buyer doesn't get freaked out.

I don't have any other suggestions on how to get him if the shooting doesn't work, but he has to go.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Ken, have you tried live trapping him, last year when i tried live trapping otters with sardines all I ever got was coons.

Lunker
Lunker
We have been quite successful live trapping (so as to release the seemingly inevitable cat) raccoons. Peanut Butter makes an excellent 'coon bait.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Ken, have you tried live trapping him, last year when i tried live trapping otters with sardines all I ever got was coons.

+1. Make sure the bait is all the way in the back of the trap, and the wire on that end of the trap is fine enough so they can't get their grubby paws thru it and pull out the bait that way. Another trick is to lean or make a plywood cover that covers the sides and top but leaves enough room for the mechanism to work. They seem to go into the trap quicker if they are going into a hole vs. a wire cage.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I had mine covered with pine branches to make it look more natural.

Lunker
Lunker
Forgot something.

DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING YOU VALUE WITHIN REACH OF THE TRAP!

I ended up owing Fish Wife a new horse blanket several years ago after a trapped coon positively shredded it THROUGH the wire of the cage. We still find pieces of it occasionally in the barn.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, I was only partially successful this evening. I got an 18 inch catfish for tomorrow evenings dinner. It will be interesting to clean it. The belly is really distended

Rocky seemed to show up. I was quietly sitting in my truck with the shotgun out the window when I heard the lid go off the top of one of the feed cans in the storage part of the coop. I waited a little bit, then went up to the door. I could hear something inside. I slowly opened the door, with the shotgun cocked. Sure enough, the lid was off one of the cans. But no Rocky! I turned over everything, then I heard a racket on the roof. I have no idea how he got in or out.

I went back to the truck. About 15 minutes later I could hear him moving in one of the pine trees, and then I could hear him chattering. I never did see him.

I've put out a call in the neighborhood for a trap bigger than mine. Mine is for squirrels and possums (10 x 10 x 24??). I think it is way too small for this guy. I priced bigger ones tonight while in town -- $50 to $85. Seems kind of high to catch just one furry critter.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Thanks All,
Ken

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ken,

If my live trap is bigger I'd be glad to send it to you for use. I can measure it tomorrow.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ken, I've caught some whopper coons in my squirrel trap. Even jammed in there, they can pretty well wreck the trap.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have NVG's... If you can't get him I'll come put a hurtin on him!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No death and destruction last night.

Cecil, thanks for the offer. We stopped by Tractor Supply this morning. They had some Chinese made live traps -- a combination of a large trap and small trap for about $35. Not as well built as a Hav-A-Heart, but I'll try the big one out today.

I'm going down to bait the trap now. We are heading to my condo at the "old folks home" for tonight to watch the fireworks. We won't be home to lock the chickens in, so hopefully Rocky will get caught in the trap before he kills again.

As for NVGs -- I've got them, if you mean Non-Violent Guns. Mine certainly didn't lead to any violence last night. But, that reminded me that we've go a number of sets of Night Vision Goggles and helmets at work that I could borrow.

Thanks All,
Ken

P.S. The really fat belly on the catfish I caught while waiting for the raccoon was filled to capacity with pellets. I guess that is good.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
As for NVGs -- I've got them, if you mean Non-Violent Guns.

Well that makes a lot more sense than non virgin girls. Thanks for clearing that up for me Ken.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I worked with this guy we called hoss (can't remember his real name) who used to trap the racoons in the lumber yard. He said half a Snickers bar was the best bait...and you get to eat the other half.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Sharing a Snickers bar with a racoon...now that's a Hallmark moment.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Sharing a Snickers bar with a racoon...now that's a Hallmark moment.

The brutal part that happens after he gets his half of the candy bar is not a Hallmark moment.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Ken, over the last couple of months I have trapped 18 of the little buggers. I trap them in a have a heart trap, but unfortunately they don't come out. I bait my trap with sunflower seed and catch one every night.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: heybud
Ken . . . I trap them in a have a heart trap, but unfortunately they don't come out.

Well, the Cheap Chinese Trap (CCT) failed. Rocky got the catfish carcass, a bowl of chicken feed mixed with bacon grease, and some peanut butter. Before we left yesterday, I put some additional chicken wire over the top of the run. It seemed to keep him out. In protest, he left these presents on the roof of the coop:

I took a pair of pliers to the CCT. It should work now.

Once I get him, he'll come out! But it won't be until after I check to see how long he can hold his breath at the bottom of the pond!

Happy 4th of July to all. We're off to a picnic with the kids and grandkids.

Ken

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I stopped live trapping and popping the feral cats on my property. I would eliminate three only to have three more take their place. And after my dog died I felt like a hypocrite whining over her death when I was popping cats.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One down. At least two to go. Hopefully, this won't be like taking cups of water out of the ocean.

Not only did he eat the bait, he ate the container it was in!

Lunker
Lunker
One down. At least two to go. Hopefully, this won't be like taking cups of water out of the ocean.

It's less futile than trying to kill every tick.

Quote:

I'm convinced if you leave them in it long enough, they will eat the cage.

-S. M. Stirling
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Fortunately, Raccoons are a critter I've never had to hassle with. Until reading this thread, I had no idea how destructive they are.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Fortunately, Raccoons are a critter I've never had to hassle with. Until reading this thread, I had no idea how destructive they are.

I had one that raided my trash can, making a big mess I had to pick up almost every day.

I put a coon-proof latch on the lid. One night I heard a commotion, and quietly went out for a look. The coon had the trash can handle in 1 hand and the lid in the other hand, and was pulling and straining exactly the way a human would to get a stuck lid off. I busted out laughing, and the coon ran off. He never came back, I guess he was too embarrassed.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Unfortunately, Raccoons are a critter I've never had to hassle with. I'd love to have one.

JHAP,

I'm express shipping one to your business address. You'll have to transport him to the pond. Rocky II will go out by 8:00 AM tomorrow. You should have him by 10:00 AM Tuesday.

Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 07/05/09 02:00 PM. Reason: small change to a sentence.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

\:D \:D \:D

When I was attempting to see if I had another mink I got a possum in the live trap. I had put a dead trout as bait in it, that didn't take long to get really, really, putrid. I released the possum and there was no trace of the trout. Man those things must be walking garbage disposals!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/05/09 07:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images