Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#170693 06/29/09 04:32 PM
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Have a 1/2 acre pond probably 20 years old. Deepest part is around 15-20' near the middle. Last couple of years I've been getting an infestation of weeds I've identified as Sago Pondweed. This year the problem has multiplied. I've attempted to pull out as many as I can, but just seems to cause more growth! Went today to a local store selling pond supplies and explained my problem, he said to try a product called Nufarm Weedar 64 Broadleaf Herbicide. Sold a gallon for $35.00

Read the literature that came on the outside and only confused me. It can be used for aquatic vegetation, but mix and spread rates are hazy to me. Is there anyone out there who has used this product?? And could anyone recommend mix rates for my 3 gallon pump sprayer??

The pondweed is mostly pushing towards the surface, can I just spray the weeds or do I have to hold the sprayer nozzle underwater for distribution?? Or as long as the spray touches the plant it should absorb??

Thanks for any help or info!!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Brian first I have never had good luck with 2,4-D liquid ( weedear64) on submersed plants. Yes sago has a small floating leaf, btu not sure it will work. If having poison ivy problems in grass you do nto want killed safe it for that. However if you wish to try it, then I say figure how much plant material you have, say it is 1/4 acre of pondweed, I would add a quart of weedear, mix this in three gallon sprayer at rate to cover the area, get it? Use gal/weeded acre, so do math on what ou need to apply first. We use about 4 ozs/gallon but each situation and sprayer is diff. good luck and if it does not work get soem reward it will kill it with ease.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Greg,
Thanks for the info. My pond is between 1/3 to 1/2 acre, but the pondweed problem is in only about half the pond. It's spreading, but like to stop before it covers the whole pond.

I'll give the Weedar 64 a try, not that expensive so not much lost if it doesn't work. Have to assume I'll only spray where the weeds are a problem and not all over?? Also would you recommend sticking the nozzle underwater while spraying to distribute the material or just spraying on top?? Also should probably spray while the wind is fairly low to prevent it from floating.

Brian S.

Last edited by Brian S.; 06/30/09 10:24 AM.
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Wow the Reward is expensive! Went to your website and saw the Komeen product saying it is used for submersed weeds. If my Weedar 64 doesn't work, would the Komeen be a good try?? Also the K-Tea looks interesting for algea growth. Can I order from your website or is it restricted to licensed folks??

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Brian. I agree about price of reward but not when compared to fluridone (white cap, sonar). It does a wonderful job of controlling submersed vegetation. I think you need to spray on the surface when as you say it is not windy, you can put wand in water as well. I hope it works for you. Yes komeen does work on some submersed weeds quite well and lots less $ than reward but the application rate is higher.

We sell to any states that do not have restricitons. Thanks for alerting me to the fact by shipping restriciton link is not working. I honestly can ot remember if michigan is on the list or not. Seems it might be. Thanks

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Hey BrianS......do know that pondweeds (family Potamogetonacea) are monocots. 2,4 D is a broadleaf (dicot) herbicide. If you haven't already used it, you should take it back. Take Greg's advice. One gallon of Reward, one gallon of copper based chems, and a good healthy shot of surfactant will burn down your weeds in short order. Given the time of year, that mix will treat 2 acre-ft of water with no problem (or 1/2 acre that is 4' deep). That is the strong mix but you may only burn off the tops if you go lighter. Plus the plants are getting very mature now and very dense so stick with the high rate just described and you will be very happy in less than a week after applying.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Hey guys
Thanks for all the good info. Guess it looks like I'll be hooking up with some Reward when I get a few bucks!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM