Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Murdog, Wallaman, antscozz, Bowhunter2004, Thomas7
18,552 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,044
Posts558,810
Members18,552
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,631
ewest 21,524
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,166
Who's Online Now
8 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, Boondoggle, anthropic, homewardbound, Sunil, FishinRod, Journeyman), 546 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#171195 07/02/09 08:19 PM
D
davatsa Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
wow that is some fish...records are made to be broken...In time we could see a 25lb fish.

Get out and fish.
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
All the millions of anglers in this country feverishly pursuing LMB as the holy grail, and the world record is tied somewhere where the fish is considered a trash fish. Pretty ironic...

I wonder what native species that hawg-momma had been chowing down on...

And, you have to wonder if they're prevalent in that lake, or rare after the eradication efforts...if the latter, wow, what dedication by that angler if he was fishing for bass! (Unless he saw her on bed.)

Why don't they even mention what he caught her on? Shoddy journalism.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Eating snakeheads... That's why a lot of the fisherman I know in the Potomac aren't scared about snakeheads being in the Potomac. LMB love to eat them! Fusiform shape, no spines the perfect meal!

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
So the trash fish here that's the god-fish there, is the feed-bag for the beloved fish here that's the trash fish there...Now that's irony!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
At least we have a picture and proper documentation with this one. Not so with Perry's. If Perry caught it today it would be thrown out for lack of evidence.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
What if the new tying world record LMB had somehow found a pocket of clandestine lepomids and had swelled that ridiculous belly on said lepomids...

And said lepomid's initials are GSF?

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Now Cecil there you go slamming our GA record we hold so highly. It does not matter about what would happen today. He met the requirements back then. Many old records were done the same way just Perry's get moe attention since the largemouth. It makes for good arguements and is this does nto break it it will be broken soon enough and we will lose our history.

CJ, btw shocked quite a few snakeheads from FLA pond with lots of bass. They could not keep the recuirtmetn down, maybe the norhtern bass wil be more agressive on them \:\)

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
CJ, btw shocked quite a few snakeheads from FLA pond with lots of bass. They could not keep the recuirtmetn down, maybe the norhtern bass wil be more agressive on them \:\)

No kidding, did you report it the USGS invasive aquatics section? I didn't know there were any established populations in FL. Perhaps the warmer climate down there allows the snakeheads to reproduce more which lead to the bass not being able to keep up with them. So far the snakeheads in the Potomac seem to be mostly in the submarginal swampy areas that bass really don't like. Some of the GPS tagging studies they have done on the snakeheads has been very interesting. Snakeheads are very protective of their young, if you cast any lure into the school of babies being guarded by the parent, you're sure to get a hit.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
This was (guessing here) 4 years ago and they knew they had them as did many lakes in the area. This was between orlando and cocca beach, 1800 acre lake.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Interesting, I wasn't aware of any reproducing populations of snakeheads other than the Potomac in North America.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I can't believe everyone is buying this huge bass caught in Japan. I mean look at his photo. The LMB is only seven inches long and it supposedly weighs over 20 pounds? Plus you can tell that fishing pole is one of those miniturized fishing poles, probably made by the Sony circuit board division that specializes in making really tiny stuff. Heck the entire pole is probably only 19 or 20 inches long and the reel is the size of your thumb. Man you guys are so gullable.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Makes me wanna go fishin. :)Of coarse,you realize,here in Texas that fish would be considered bait. \:D \:D \:D

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Besides, it looks like it's got Chicken Pox or Measles!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
sorry if stealing this thread, but cj, here you go had to add since not on my site. http://lakework.com/photo_gallery/gallery2/v/Fish+ID/CC/orlando+bass+007.jpg.html
date on pic said 2004, that explains why I look younger in that pic.

Last edited by Greg Grimes; 07/03/09 08:57 AM.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Perry's fish didnt get stuffed with seasonal rainbows like the Callyfornia ones. I hope something can curtail the snakehead.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I agree with JHAP. It looks like some of the GAMS I have in my pond - only about 4" longer....

Just do it...
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Now Cecil there you go slamming our GA record we hold so highly. It does not matter about what would happen today. He met the requirements back then. Many old records were done the same way just Perry's get moe attention since the largemouth. It makes for good arguements and is this does nto break it it will be broken soon enough and we will lose our history.

Now Greg there you go defending that record again.

I understand your defense of it as it's from your home state but keep in mind that the former world record walleye, musky, and smallmouth have been disqualified due to flimsy evidence. ;\)

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Just stay away from my Private Pond Record Breaking Green Sunfish or there's gonna be hell to pay.

[Died has GSF that are larger but he has yet to submit a photo. Perhaps we'll change that in my trip up there next week.]

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
sorry if stealing this thread, but cj, here you go had to add since not on my site. http://lakework.com/photo_gallery/gallery2/v/Fish+ID/CC/orlando+bass+007.jpg.html
date on pic said 2004, that explains why I look younger in that pic.

Perhaps I got the wrong link, but the photo looks like a walking catfish to me?

Here is what a Potomac River snakedhead looks like.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
I just searched snakeheads for the first time ever. All the years I thought we shocked snakeheads, yes they are walking catfish. Owner called them snakeheads and I just went along with it, opps. thanks for correction. Now I gotta go and change my website. Oh well they were cool and only time I have seen them, just feel like an idiot or maybe I knew they were walking cats and recently my brain changed gears. dang getting old stinks.

BTW here is the link to the "world record" video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXOyXArL9rw

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Good video, but they were so excited I couldn't understand a word they were saying..

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Good video, but they were so excited I couldn't understand a word they were saying..

Was that a North Texas or a South Texas accent?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Greg, no biggie... I did some research and there is a reproducing population in FL so you were right on that part. It is the only other known reproducing population in the country. If you ever find a lake with snakeheads, let me know how you think they compete with the bass. In a smaller pond I think they would be detrimental, but in a large pond or lake I think LMB would dominate.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Hi Guys. Dropped in to say Hi. Been reading here a while. Great site. You are hilarious! 7 inches. Lol It is decimeters. The bass is over 29 inches long. I have a lot of pictures other sites dont have and all the current info coming out of Japan. I am waiting for a call now after lure Magazine gets the story up and we have even more details. If you want to take a look at what is available including videos I have it up here. I will get back with you all after I get home from this tournament. Tight lines, Steve

Delaware Trophy Bass http://delawaretrophybass.com

DELAWARE TROPHY BASS
http://delawaretrophybass.com
Bass Fishing Videos and Articles
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Steve,

Keep us posted and welcome aboard. I'm very interested in this even if it is a green carp.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
LOL You guys are a riot. A lot more fun than some other forums, at least you all have a sense of humor. Anyway, the rumor has it that he caught this bass in an off limits area of Lake biwa, which, if true, disqualifies it. At least that was what was being said by everyone at ICAST 2009 last week. I have the video up at my site of a bass guide from Lake Biwa talking about this from ICAST if you want to watch. All the latest updates are there. Tight lines, Steve

http://www.delawaretrophybass.com/worldrecordbass.htm

DELAWARE TROPHY BASS
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I just searched snakeheads for the first time ever. All the years I thought we shocked snakeheads, yes they are walking catfish. Owner called them snakeheads and I just went along with it, opps. thanks for correction. Now I gotta go and change my website. Oh well they were cool and only time I have seen them, just feel like an idiot or maybe I knew they were walking cats and recently my brain changed gears. dang getting old stinks.

BTW here is the link to the "world record" video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXOyXArL9rw

I caught a walking catfish in Ft. Lauderdale last fall and didn't know what it was either. Very strange tailfin I hadn't seen before. I knew it was a type of catfish, but couldn't place it. I got a picture, but unfortunately didn't get a side shot that displayed the fins.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
We have Snakeheads galore in the Potomac River which is my home waters. I have caught one before but by accident. There are guys that target them now exclusively. By the way, i have that world record video as well as over 190 others at no charge at my site all grouped together. Tight lines, Steve

DELAWARE TROPHY BASS
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Do the snakeheads fight hard on the line? Are they as aggressive as they look?

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
yeppers! They do They are hard to catch.

DELAWARE TROPHY BASS
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Delawarebass
yeppers! They do They are hard to catch.

It that because they are wary or they are not that common? It would seem a fish that looks like that would bite at anything in sight.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have caught 11 in the Potomac so far and my buddy is up to about 30. I think they just fairly uncommon. I caught 8 of my 11 in one day in one spot. For some reason they were all group up in one spot. Not sure why they liked this little cut but they were piled up there. Two of the other 3 were caught when I could see females guarding their babies and the other was just a ooops while fishing for LMB.

The VDGIF, MDNR and the DCDOH are all doing studies on their movements and reproduction. I was talking to a VDGIF employee who was doing a survey on them with fisherman to see where, on what and how many fisherman where catching. He said they are getting more common, but are still quite low in numbers. A few more years and I think that will change. I don't think they'll affect the bass fishing though. LMB have been eating snakeheads like crazy in Japan, not the other way around.

And, yes snakeheads taste great! They require that you keep them and kill them immediately if caught. The next one I catch I'll try to get a pic and post it on here.

My biggest so far has been 22" and a hair under 5 pounds... The biggest caught in the Potomac was 14 pounds.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
From the picture you posted they kind of remind me of a dogfish (bowfin). Fins are not that large for the body as in a dogfish (Except for the anal fin). Just mounted a 7 lb. dogfish and what amazes me is for the hardest fighting species I have ever caught they have relatively small fins.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/01/09 10:00 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The snakeheads put up a good fight. Usually 3 or 4 good drives and then they are spent. No leaping out of the water or anything like that though. Yes, they do look somewhat like a bowfin. They even have a poster they have posted everywhere that says have you seen this fish? With a picture of a snakehead. At the bottom, they have a little thing that says know you fish and it includes a picture of a bowfin and an American eel... I could see maybe mistaking a snakehead for a bowfin, but an eel? No! Since I live in Stafford, I launch out of Aquia Creek, where the water starts getting fairly salty. Enough that you catch ocean fish while fishing such as croaker and spot, the snakeheads have spread as far down river as there and as far upriver as Washington DC and the beginning of Great Falls. The falls are too nasty for them to get past. So it looks like they have spread out as far as their salt tolerance and ability to climb steep falls will allow... All we need is one giant hurricane to dump 15" of rain in a day or two and they'll be in every tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. All that freshwater will allow them access all over the Bay...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
They're a little different on fighting ability then. The bowfin I have caught make the drag scream over and over again. Keep fighting like a smallie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Custom 68, fklakes, spence gatewood
Recent Posts
Electrofishing for Non-Professionals
by FishinRod - 05/29/24 09:43 PM
Fish dispersion when feeding
by lafarmpondguy - 05/29/24 08:02 PM
Muck remover and aeration
by esshup - 05/29/24 07:47 PM
Ideal food/pellet size?