Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,980
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, gehajake, Fishingadventure, MOFishermen, FireIsHot, anthropic), 1,156 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169780 06/23/09 08:51 PM
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm using an old Scientific Anglers 7 wt set-up for catching 8#-15# carp, with the real possibility of larger ones out there (possibly double that weight). The 7 wt is bending all the way into the grip, and doesn't have a drag system. I'm looking at upgrading to a heavier rod/reel. (I really don't want to break this rod)

What wt. should I look at? I'm leaning towards 9 wt. I can use a long rod, I'm fishing on a lake and there isn't much interference with the back casts.

I'm thinking of a rod that has a short butt section past the reel so I don't have to rely strictly on forearm/wrist strenght to manhandle the rod. (So I can rest the butt on my hip and get a bit of leverage.) I'm getting them to take the fly while using a 30# leader, so leader strength really isn't the limiting factor on putting pressure on the fish. I'm using a #6 3x Daiichi hook and it seems strong enough for the pressure that I'm putting on it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
esshup, I bought this combo in early March. I really have liked it so far. I think the price is great and the quality outstanding... I got in the the size 8 line weight. I mostly used it to fish for hickory and American shad this spring, most fish are in the 2-3 lb range but I caught one American over 6 pounds. Pound for pound they are a hard fighting fish, they are ocean run and pull like horses. I also hooked into several stripers in the 6-18 pound range. The rod held up just fine and the fighting butt was definitely a nice option. I have also caught several carp on it this year in the 4-12 pound range and again it performed well.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott, I am a HUGE Temple Fork Outfitters fan – I know these folks personally, and they build the best high quality affordable fly rod, dollar for dollar, on the market.

For purposes that you describe, my TFO Mini-Mag fits the bill.
I field tested this rod for a year before production, catching every thing from BG, LMB, HSB, monster CC and Grass Carp to 14.5 pounds.

Constructed with “S” glass butt section, transitioning to hybrid “S” glass/carbon fiber mid section, to carbon fiber tip.
It’s rated 300 – 400 grains which puts it in the 8-9 wt “loaded” range and cast like a cannon, virtually indestructible.

If that’s on the heavy side, they are introducing the Mini-Mag Lite in a couple of weeks.

Best $200.00 fly rod on the market.
I would put a Prism reel on it – less than $100.00 bucks with a drag that will stop a Mack truck.

I have a Mini-Mag lite on order to complete my arsenal.

Like CJ says there are some excellent products on the market, but not with a lifetime no questions asked warranty, and customer service that is unrivaled.

Call Brandon Powers who is with TFO, at 800.638.9052 and ask his advice. He taught n8ly and JHAP to double haul at last years PB conference.

Give me a holler – PM if you have lost my number.
George

ps:Best value TFO combo set
NXT 8-9wt , 4pc fly rod built on IM6 graphite Pro model blank.
Rod - reel – line – case $209.95

Mini-Mag
http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/bluewater.html

NXT
http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/outfits/nxt.html

Last edited by george1; 06/24/09 08:23 AM. Reason: link

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the advice guys. George, I was in TFO (I swear that's got to be the store - there isn't another good fly shop in Dallas, is there?) when I was visiting my buddy in Dallas. It IS a nice shop! I sent them an e-mail last night, but I'll call them today and see what they recommend.

CJ: That looks like a nice outfit, but I'm leaning towards a minimum of 9 wt. After seeing what the carp do to a 7 wt, I don't know if only one step up will be heavy enough.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I loved the feel of the TFO Mini Mag, it didn't feel like a heavy pole at all. And Brandon is a great guy. He spent quite a bit of time with JWHAP, Fatty McButterpants and I and had us all double hauling in a matter of a few minutes. He's a very patient and very good instructor.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Well I know who I am getting advice from the next time I buy a fly rod! George is definitely the fly fishing man!

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, it looks like I'll be buying from TFO direct. Neither BP nor Cableas carried the Mini-Mag nor the Prism. BP said 3 months.

On a side note, maybe Ray Scott should teach his employees pondmeistering. The guy behind the fly counter was adamant that you shouldn't stock GSH in a pond that had LMB because "they'll get too big and eat all the bass eggs, only stock FH's." I didn't even bother to try and change his mind, I thought I'd be talking to deaf ears.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George:

I found out the name of the shop that I visited while in Dallas. Tailwaters Fly Fishing Company, 2416 McKinney Ave., Dallas, Tx 214 219-2500

Brandon said I should contact Mike Burleson at http://www.burfish.com for buying the rod/reel, they don't sell direct.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott, I have purchased fly tackle from Burleson - they are good folks.

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George:

I sent him an e-mail yesterday and I expect to get a reply Monday or Tues, then I'll place the order. Thanks for all the help!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Scott, you have given me the "Golden Bone" fever... :
If they pull any harder than a grass carp they should be outlawed ...
I need your help and advise on flies please Sir?

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm cheating. My parents wanted a fish feeder on their pier, and they are on a public lake. I put a small addition on the pier, python locked a Aqua-Pro ADF 75 to the pier and lag bolted it down as well. I tied 3 pellets together in a panty hose "spawn sack" and put the #6 Diiachi hook thru that. I just recently found that the Berkley Power Bait Trout Nuggets will float as well. I need to try then once the wind switches back to the South again. I've also caught them on a Stubby Steve Pellet as well, but they sink because the post office made them look like miniature pancakes during shipping. They were the thickness of a nickel, and about the diameter of a dime to a penny and all stuck together. Todd said he'd re-send them in a padded envelope, but those haven't arrived yet.

If you can find the carp tailing in shallow water, a fly that imitates a small crayfish or helgramite should work as well. Or the old standby, a garden hackle! I've seen some pretty convincing flies that were tied to mimic a kernel of corn. I used to chum with a can of whole kernel corn, thread a #2 aberdeen full of corn (no weight) and cast (spinning rod w/8# test) to where I saw bubbles coming up from the bottom. Let it sink and they'd take it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
The old magic bullet fly, right?
I have a good supply of those but will they work for "wild" carp?
I might do a little "chumming" with AQMX 600 pellets to see if they are interested...
There's carp in some local public ponds I may check out after this cold front moves through - 103 degrees today and cold spell forecast for tomorrow in mid-nineties .. .
George

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
These carp are wild, the lake is 365 ac.

My nephew Mike and I were fihing off of the dock, catching GSH to put in the pond. I had 2# ultralight set-up and he was fishing with 4#. His bobber disappeared like usual and when he set the hook, the fish pulled back HARD! Line was leaving his reel at a rapid pace, so I adjusted the drag a bit and coached him. His eyes were as big as saucers as he watched the line melt from the reel, and I just grinned. It took a good 15 minutes, he'd gain a lot of line "lift up, reel down, keep the same bend in the rod as you reel down", and then he'd lose it just as quick. But he learned quick and finally the fish was within netting distance. I had to take the rod once to get it unwrapped from the boat hoist (whew!), but other than that, it was all his fish.

Just as the fish got it's head and half the body in the net, the line parted. I finished the scoop and it was his. It was one of the "golden bones" and it weighed 9.4#. Not bad for 4# test!!!

We took pics, but I don't have the camera. \:\(

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I don't care what anyone says, carp are darn fun to catch. They are far smarter than any bass. They pull like a horse! If it weren't for that fact that they are so darn ugly and taste like crap, I think they'd be a bigger hit here in the States.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
All fly fishermen that I know are in the sport for the fight in the fish, and the "golden bones" are becomong a highly sought after species.
Wouldn't care to eat one but don't eat any of our pond fish anyway, other than a few catfish early on.

Grass Carp are the most fun pond fish to catch on the fly - but catching them defeats the purpose of stocking them in the first place.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've caught several grass carp while bluegill fishing with light gear. Time to buy new gear after that.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FireIsHot - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/26/24 04:06 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM