Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,989
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, phinfan, teehjaeh57), 1,142 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163 07/20/03 05:08 PM
C
Cameron Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello all,
I just logged in today and read old posts for about three hours. I picked up a good bit of information but I just wanted to say hi and get a bit of free advice.
I live in the beautiful Napa Valley and I am down stream from a neighbor who just put in a French drain from this large country estate and vineyard. For the first time ever I am getting water in my swale in the summer. The swale usually runs from the first rain until May. Now I am getting a constant flow of 100 gallons per hour and up to 1500 gallons per hour when he irrigates his yard and vineyard, usually four time a week.
This water has caused a HUGE mosquito problem in my yard a I am considering putting a pond in to capture the water for irrigation, beautify my yard and get rid of the swamp in my swale.
The area that I want to place the pond is approximately 150'X50' and serves as a swale in the winter. I am considering excavating a depression to create the pond. There will be little or no seepage in the area due to the thick clay that under the topsoil.
The area is within 100' of my house and I could easily run an air line from a compressor to the bottom of the pond for an aerators.
My question are:
1. Can a pond work in this small area?
2. What happens in the winter when the pond becomes a torrential river during heavy rains?
3. Is this enough water flow to keep up with evaporation?
4. Any tips?

Thanks
Cameron

#164 07/22/03 05:17 PM
S
Fingerling
Fingerling
S
I have almost the same situation as Cameron. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Question: Do all ponds absolutely have to have a liner? The area that I would like to fill is approx 200 ft long X 35 ft wide and is fed by the storm drains. What are some alternatives to a plastic liner assuming the soil wont hold water well? Thanks, Rob

#165 07/22/03 07:38 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Before taking a shot at your questions could you answer one for a dumb eastener? What's a 'swale'?
1)Yes. Search this site for pertinent information ie: species of fish, stocking rates, feeding, water quality, water plants, built in structure, ect. It's all here!
2)Since it will be a dug pond (no dam) your main concern reguarding flooding will be the spillways. If it is indeed good clay/soil then a good covering of grass may suffice on the emergency spillway. I would probably rent a small compactor to use on the spillways just to be sure. Note: Emergency spillway should be 1' below primary spillway. Read some of Cecil Bairds post re. spillways.
3) 150' x 50' .. Yes!
4)Subscribe to "Pond Boss" magazine! Just click on the icon in the upper right hand corner of this forum.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#166 07/22/03 10:07 PM
C
Cameron Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ric,
Thanks for the reply,
Sorry for the West coast lingo. A swale is simply a shallow drainage. Mine only has a 1% slope on average but flows like a small river during the winter.
I assume that every spring, I will need to clean up the storm damage and rehab the pond's landscaping and such.
Is this a common problem where water flows heavy through ponds?
Thanks,
Cameron

#167 07/23/03 03:28 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Since it will be a dug pond the excess water during heavy rains shouldn't be too much of a problem if the spillways are constructed properly. You might want to make it a little deeper @ the point of entry to allow for siliting in. If you are concerned about storm damage to the spillways then add a ditch around the pond graded @ the same level of the emergency spillway to help carry overflow.
Ric

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#168 07/24/03 08:11 AM
C
Cameron Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the reply.
It is very nice to have experienced people to bounce questions off of.
Thanks,
Cameron

#169 07/29/03 04:25 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Cameron,

Welcome! After reading your post, one item of concern that first came to me was runoff from the vineyard. I think it might be a wise investment in your time to get an assessment of what types of chemicals, if any, your neighbor uses on his vineyard and/or estate. If you are on the receiving end of his irrigation runoff, now would be the time to give some thought to what may end up in your pond. Keep us posted.

Russ

#170 07/30/03 08:56 AM
C
Cameron Offline OP
OP Offline
C
For the most part, the wine industry and grape growers are pretty clean. The only thing they use in any regularity are Roundup and dusting sulfur. Really though, they don't even use much of that. I do plan however to have the water tested at a local lab before starting. I have already determined that there are no septic fields or other sources of yucky stuff around the water.
However my greatest concern is that if I invest in building the pond something will occur to the source of the water an I will be left with a muddy pit. I have contacted the State Department of Water Resources for advice and they stated what my upstream neighbor is doing violates several state water laws. In short, water needs to be given an opportunity to absorb on the property on which it is used and produced.
However, my neighbor who just spent over $10,000 on this French drain so he can farm his field will likely not want to remove it. Without it, he will have a boggy vineyard which will ruin the quality of the wine. My solution that I propose to my neighbor is that because he is causing the problem, that he helps pay for the construction of a pond to catch the water or I will file a complaint with the state to cease the flow of the water. I feel that the cheaper way out for the neighbor will be to pay for a pond. Additionally, if I apply for state water rights to construct a habitat for wish and waterfowl, my local Resource Conservation District has grants available to help with construction costs and the neighbor will be required to provide the quantity of water forever to maintain the habitat.
I will keep you informed.
Cameron

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves