Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169390 06/21/09 09:57 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
My wife just gave me a Scientific anglers fly fishing kit for fathers day, probably so she can laugh at me snagging in trees.
I watched the video but have never fly fished, any advice for a beginner would be appreciated, I know George is the resident expert and many of you have experience so any info on do's and dont's would be helpful.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I was self taught, I get the job done but it probably aint pretty... I'd say start out with streamers and nymphs that have some weight to them. They are they easiest to cast IMO, then as you get better you can try dry flies. Dry flies really are fun to catch sunfish on. Even on the hardest fished public lakes, you can always catch sunfish using dry flies and small nymphs, even out fishing a guy using live bait most of the time. I love the floatant called "Gink". Really helps keep your dry fly stay dry and floating. I'll let George chime in cause all he does is fly fish, I just break the fly rod out when either its the only way as in a fly fishing only section of trout stream or I want something a little different.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Larry, I also am self-taught with help from Lefty Kreh videos.
http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkaids/
It’s not all that complicated as many would have you believe – just another versatile and fun way to fish.

Learn the fundamentals from link to Lefty’s video and buy his video if you want to pursue, but let me warn you, it’s a very addictive sport that will take you to the dark side – in particular when you get the itch to tie your own flies …
A few small popping bugs and foam flies from a big box store will catch most anything in your pond.
As CJ says, flies for future needs are abundant...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
AP:

Congrats on taking a step to the dark side!

Learn a few basic knots as well, like the nail knot for attaching leader to the main line. As for leaders, I'd just use straight mono for now. IMO there's no need for expensive tapered leaders when you are learning.

George has some good advice! Just starting out, practice on a day with no wind, and you can practice on a lawn, no water required. Just use something on the end of the leader that won't get caught in the grass I'm self taught as well, and when I learned the thoughts back then was that you can fly fish with your upper arm strapped to your side so you only use your forearm and wrist, keeping the rod between 10:00 and 2:00 o'clock. There are other tips and tricks, but getting a good video and watching it will help imensely. I have a Scientific Anglers #7 wt. kit as well, although it's a bit older than yours.

It still works very well, although carp in the 15# range put quite a strain on it. I really should get a reel with a good drag system on it. George, any suggestions? Handle on the left side please!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Another thing, learn how to roll cast... Most places you end up fishing, you don't have the room to back cast. Roll casting is IMO easier to learn and you can use it just about anywhere. You can't cast quite as far, but in most situations, that distance isn't really needed.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I really should get a reel with a good drag system on it. George, any suggestions? Handle on the left side please!
Scott, check out the new TFO Prism reel. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/reels/CastPrism.html#T

Has a cork drag that will stop a Mack truck – for less than a $100.00!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Thanks guys for the info on fly fishing,I haven't had time to practice cause we've been with family all day, but I did stop at wally world and picked up some poppers, and some black gnats which were mentioned on the video.
I'll try to keep it simple and learn the roll cast in the backyard and watch more info videos like the fly fisherman that George mentioned.
Last year I went to a sportsmens day at the Adirondack Museum and was amazed at the lifelike flies the guys were tying, especially the crawfish.
I'll let you know if and when I actually catch a fish.

P.S. My wife doesn't know what she has started.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 06/21/09 07:23 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George:

Thanks. That looks like a good reel for the price!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Another thing, learn how to roll cast... Most places you end up fishing, you don't have the room to back cast. Roll casting is IMO easier to learn and you can use it just about anywhere. You can't cast quite as far, but in most situations, that distance isn't really needed.
CJ, do you use the "classic" overhead "chop" Roll Cast?

If overhanging branches are a problem and can't get a back cast or overhead cast, a sidearrm of back hand roll cast will allow a double haul and enable the fly caster to shoot line for distance.

AP, remember that you are casting the flyline - not the fly.

Theo, IMO a fly is anything that can be cast on a flyline - even an eathworm ...

Last edited by george1; 06/22/09 06:04 AM. Reason: mor stuff

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I have the Columbia "Periodic Table of Fishing Flies" T-Shirt george, and Worm is definitely on there.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Congratulations AP! I jumped into the world of fly fishing last year. I'm a complete novice but I have fun. I bought (at George's suggestion) the Lessons with Lefty (Kreh) DVD and I think it is great. From casting standpoint fly fishing is fundamentally different that any other types of fishing that I've tried. Once you learn the basics of the fly cast you'll be fine and you'll have a blast. There's something about catching a fish on a fly rod that is almost magical.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
George, I was given a fly rod at the age of 10 with no direction. I at first got frustrated and hung it up. Then at the age of 13, I found a fly fishing only section of trout stream near my grandfather's house, and had no choice but to learn to fly fish. So I spent many a summer days tangling lines and losing flies. My grandfather was not a fisherman, so he just sat on a bank reading a book while I trudged away. I am not sure what method I taught myself, but as best as I can tell, the chop roll cast would probably best fit what I typically do. However, I do a lot of "side arm" casting as well. Seems to give you more room rather than straight overhead when in tight areas. I am sure it aint pretty, but when I got to college and took my flyfishing class at Penn State, the instructor didn't seem to care as I could put the fly where I wanted it. When I finally caught some of the extremely smart brown trout that has seen it all on a size 28 midge I was quite excited. Size 28 is a small hook! But if you used anything but that size, the trout had nothing to do with it.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
CJ, good lesson to all wanna be fly casters - it don't have to be purty to catch fish - you are right on ...
It's all about line control, right?
When you can make that fly line dance and do what you want it to, it's a fun way to catch.
Fish on!!!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was fishing for the GSH today with a pellet fly on 2# test on an ultralight spinning rod/reel Shimano Spires RG, St. Croix rod). I cast to what I thought was a GSH, but it turned out to be a carp. After it took a couple hundred feet of line, the hook pulled out. O.K., time to break out the 7 wt flyrod. After a few casts, another carp grabbed it and headed towards the other side of the lake. I finally got it stopped with about 3 turns of flyline on the reel, right before it got into the backing. It took a while, and a few times I lost all the line that I gained, but finally it was ready for the net. I was suprised when it turned out to be only around 8#. It must have been working out! One of these days I'll bring the camera..... While they aren't bass, they are a blast to catch!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
AP

Wonderful to hear there's another fly rodder about to be born.

I learned through 15 years of frustration fishing small streams in montana flanked by pine, fir, and spruce trees and all manners of vegetation...it was the hard way, but the passion guided my way through and now I can fish with a little confidence.

I would definitely second George's recommendation of Lefty Kreh videos - they help a ton. Before long you'll begin to feel the line lay out behind, and ahead of you, and it will become second nature. Casting isn't very difficult, it's getting your fly [on a stream, anyhow] in pocket water and keeping a true drag free drift that really consumed my patience.

Just about when you're ready to add new structure to the watershed [9 1/2' of Graphite] you see a trout inhale your dry, not matter the size, and you are rejuvenated.

I'd really like to wet a fly with George - he is hands down the resident expert here - he could teach me a lot and I hope he's headed to the conference this year.

Tell me how things go for you...I'll be eager for updates.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
George, I was given a fly rod at the age of 10 with no direction. I at first got frustrated and hung it up. Then at the age of 13, I found a fly fishing only section of trout stream near my grandfather's house, and had no choice but to learn to fly fish. So I spent many a summer days tangling lines and losing flies. My grandfather was not a fisherman, so he just sat on a bank reading a book while I trudged away. I am not sure what method I taught myself, but as best as I can tell, the chop roll cast would probably best fit what I typically do. However, I do a lot of "side arm" casting as well. Seems to give you more room rather than straight overhead when in tight areas. I am sure it aint pretty, but when I got to college and took my flyfishing class at Penn State, the instructor didn't seem to care as I could put the fly where I wanted it. When I finally caught some of the extremely smart brown trout that has seen it all on a size 28 midge I was quite excited. Size 28 is a small hook! But if you used anything but that size, the trout had nothing to do with it.

#28 Midge...I couldn't even see it, let alone get my tippet through the eyelet. Absolutely no way. #24 is the smallest I will ever fish, or can possibly fish. I don't know how you guys do it...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I was fishing for the GSH today with a pellet fly on 2# test on an ultralight spinning rod/reel Shimano Spires RG, St. Croix rod). I cast to what I thought was a GSH, but it turned out to be a carp. After it took a couple hundred feet of line, the hook pulled out. O.K., time to break out the 7 wt flyrod. After a few casts, another carp grabbed it and headed towards the other side of the lake. I finally got it stopped with about 3 turns of flyline on the reel, right before it got into the backing. It took a while, and a few times I lost all the line that I gained, but finally it was ready for the net. I was suprised when it turned out to be only around 8#. It must have been working out! One of these days I'll bring the camera..... While they aren't bass, they are a blast to catch!

Carp on the fly is fast becoming a popular sport and are often sought after by sport fishermen. They are fondly referred to as “golden bones”, after the similarity to the much sought after salt-water bonefish.

I have caught several grass carp and had several break off at the bank.
They fight as hard when landing as in open water.
Largest is 14.5 pounds and it put me in the backing in a heartbeat.

They are very smart and extremely hook shy.
“It’s not the fish in the fight – it is the fight in the fish”

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I'd really like to wet a fly with George - he is hands down the resident expert here - he could teach me a lot and I hope he's headed to the conference this year.
TJ, I’m not going to the conference this year – just too much to handle for these old bones.
Last report Brandon Powers will be attend the conference, who is a pro angler and rep for a national fly rod manufacturer, an excellent casting instructor as well as a graduate TAMU fisheries biologist.

Mike Holliday, a PB forum contributor, is also a highly qualified casting instructor that has volunteered his help on past occasions – perhaps he will attend the conference?

I’m passing the torch but willing to share my experience when possible.
Fly-fishing is a versatile and fun way to fish our ponds.

I would love to spend a day on a stream with you.
It would definitely be a learning experience, for most of my fishing has been big water where “delicate presentations” are the exception rather than the rule.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
About that roll cast, you can't roll cast on a lawn very well. In fact it is darn near impossible to do it well so don't frustrate yourself trying to learn it by practicing on grass. The drag of the water on the line is what lets you roll it. Other types of casting can be done well on the lawn. Remember that when you are false casting back and forth that what the line is doing in front of you should look like what it does behind you, so look behind you to see if your front and back casts are symmetrical.

Layton Runkle

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images