Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 523 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167756 06/10/09 12:17 PM
J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Don't know if any of yall have seen this but it was in this months Geogia outdoor news.www.gon.com/article.php?id=2007&cid=158

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Man eats 18 pound bass direct link

I like this quote:

GON (Georgia Outdoor News) spoke with the owner of the pond who knew Otis had been fishing there. The owner also said the pond is not managed for large bass, but that it has produced several fish heavier than 10 pounds.

For not managing the pond (50 acre pond? gimme a break that's a darn lake!) for trophy bass, they are sure managing to grow some!

Good find Jsand.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
That one would have to go on the wall,or a replica anyway.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Lunker
Lunker
I can't get the link to work, JHAP, so I have to ask a question.

Fried, deep-fried, or some sissy way of cooking? ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Click on "News" on the left margine after going to the link.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2039&cid=84
maybe this will help. I love this country folks around here are slamming the guy for eating it. I love it it is his right to do as he wishes with it. Great magazine btw I ahve advertised in it since 1999.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Greg, you were managing this pond, right?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
18 pounds of largemouth, that's a lot of fish nuggets! I wish I could catch an 18 lb largemouth just so I could have the right to decide if I wanted to eat it or not!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2039&cid=84
maybe this will help. I love this country folks around here are slamming the guy for eating it. I love it it is his right to do as he wishes with it. Great magazine btw I ahve advertised in it since 1999.

Agreed Greg. Granted that is a fish of a lifetime but it grieves me when people put a guilt trip on someone for keeping a fish. Some of the fishing websites I go to there are purists that think everything should be released. I mean everything! I sometimes lock horns with them.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/10/09 09:50 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't usually weigh in on "hot topics", but it drives me out of my mind when people complain about a guy eating a big fish. I think if you consider yourself a sportsman, but you whine and moan about people eating fish you might as well go ahead and join PETA, because you're helping them out more than you ever realize. The consumption element is the one thing that PETA struggles with.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
On a funny note I got a musky in a few weekends ago. The guy that brought it in was grinning from ear to ear. He said a musky guide approached him and told them how to revive it, be gentle with it, blah, blah, blah. The angler said he had no intention of releasing it and as soon as the musky guide was out of sight he shoved it into his live well and rushed over. $400.00 worth of business the musky guide could have prevented me from having. With my county at 15 percent unemployment and the two adjoining ones at 18 percent I will take all the business I can get! I get calls all summer from lake residents that find dead muskies and want to know if they can get them mounted. So much for successful catch and release. I also used to live on a lake where after ever bass tournament you could count on seeing a few dead bass floating.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/11/09 04:30 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Catch and release doesn't = guaranteed survival

Some fish at certain times of years are almost a certain fatality, even if they are not fought for long, handled properly, hooked lightly and released gently... You seem that with large striped bass in the summer months on most lakes. Even during colder months many species are no guarantee.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
While I know that all of you are a total bunch of freaks, I could care less about holding a record for a large fish.

The enjoyment of catching one would be soley my own, and maybe anyone who was with me at the time.

This guy did get it weighed, albeit unofficially.

Now if there was some money to be made on it, well, that's a different story. But it would have to be real money, not chicken scratch.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I will be real impressed when a guy catches a 23 pound largemouth, and decides to eat it and lets no one know he even caught. Then again, that could have already happened...

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Went fishing yesterday AM. Wanted to catch some small bass (1#) and move to my pond. We caught 10 and moved them to my pond. One died so I ate him last night. If we had released that fish he would have died anyway, and I would not have had a nice fish dinner last night.
What's my point - - - I forgot........

Just do it...
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I will be real impressed when a guy catches a 23 pound largemouth, and decides to eat it and lets no one know he even caught. Then again, that could have already happened...

CJB you did know a guy caught one that would have been a world record in California a few years ago right? He had it weighed and witnessed but California required a biologist to be present to make it official. He got tired of waiting around for the biologist as he intended on releasing the fish. He knew the longer he waited the more likely the fish would have died. Anyway he didn't care about the record that much and plopped the fish back into the water. That really impresses me even though I am not always for catch and release. Actually I'm all for catch and release but not exclusively.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/11/09 04:36 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, I think I remember reading the article. Wasn't it caught in some small lake, 125 acres or something? They stock the snot out of it with rainbow trout and the bass get huge eating all the trout they put in there.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I feel like I'm calling into a political radio talk show. But, I can fully understand what the guy did.

Earlier this week, I caught and released the four largest live bluegill I've ever seen in my 62 years. I did keep (and eat) several nice 10 and 11 inch BG that many would consider trophy size.

I didn't have a ruler, scale, or camera with me. All went back in within seconds of getting pulled out of the pond because I knew they weren't state records. Yet, they were too magnificent to eat. One of the two males was in full breeding regalia colors. He was incredibly beautiful.

We have two BG state records in WV -- one for weight, and one for length. Within three or four years, I hope to break both records with one fish. I will definitely have it officially measured and weighed. I would hope that Cecil will mount it for me.

In the mean time, we sure enjoy a good fish fry.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I feel like I'm calling into a political radio talk show. But, I can fully understand what the guy did.

Earlier this week, I caught and released the four largest live bluegill I've ever seen in my 62 years. I did keep (and eat) several nice 10 and 11 inch BG that many would consider trophy size.

I didn't have a ruler, scale, or camera with me. All went back in within seconds of getting pulled out of the pond because I knew they weren't state records. Yet, they were too magnificent to eat. One of the two males was in full breeding regalia colors. He was incredibly beautiful.

We have two BG state records in WV -- one for weight, and one for length. Within three or four years, I hope to break both records with one fish. I will definitely have it officially measured and weighed. I would hope that Cecil will mount it for me.

In the mean time, we sure enjoy a good fish fry.

Ken

Ken,

So your state will allow them as records?

My state declined my record perch because my perch were on a "feeding program." Never mind the state pond management manual says feeding fish in a pond is a "waste of time." At the time I was not doing anything different from what many pond owners did, that is feeding fish in their pond. I did not produce my own offspring. I'm not so sure that fish got big on feed though. I never saw him at feeding time and there were a lot of bass offspring being hatched (400 bass up to just under 6 lbs in the pond) where the offspring disappeared.

What really took the cake is when a biologist contacted me last winter and wanted to know if they could use a picture of it as a "typical Indiana perch." Anyone see the contradiction in that one. I basically told him if it wasn't typical enough to be a state record why would I let him use the picture as a "typical Indiana perch?" Perhaps the picture would have been tongue in check but it didn't matter to me. ;\)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/11/09 10:21 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Ken,

So your state will allow them as records?

My state declined my record perch because my perch were on a "feeding program." Never mind the state pond management manual says feeding fish in a pond is a "waste of time." At the time I was not doing anything different from what many pond owners did, that is feeding fish in their pond. I did not produce my own offspring. I'm not so sure that fish got big on feed though. I never saw him at feeding time and there were a lot of bass offspring being hatched (400 bass up to just under 6 lbs in the pond) where the offspring disappeared.

What really took the cake is when a biologist contacted me last winter and wanted to know if they could use a picture of it as a "typical Indiana perch." Anyone see the contradiction in that one. I basically told him if it wasn't typical enough to be a state record why would I let him use the picture as a "typical Indiana perch?" Perhaps the picture would have been tongue in check but it didn't matter to me. ;\)

Cecil,

I've never applied for even a citation fish -- although I certainly have caught citation size catfish, bluegill, and grass carp from my pond. Across the line, in Virginia, I've certainly caught citation size bluegill, smallmouth bass, and carp -- but I've never applied there, either.

From what I can see, if I can beat the records, I can qualify for a new state record, even if I feed, and if it is from private waters. I'm going to just keep feeding and throwing back the those that are bigger than 11 inches -- and they are becoming more numerous. \:\)

Push like crazy to get your photo used. (I doubt I'll ever be chosen for a brochure.)

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You're not thinking of Dixon Lake, are you? Just up the hill in Escondido.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM