Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 778 guests, and 224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I am glad to see the saw mill had wheels. When I need something like that I know where to borrow one. Better yet maybe you can come too, Looks great thanks for posting.

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Oh boy, going planting this morning! Got my little seedlings in yesterday, no work scheduled for today, and it is going to be 75 for the high!Taking out the new to me 1985 Montgomery Wards Lawn Tractor I picked up for $150 off CL, too.

The PO was an airplane mechanic and handed me a stack of maintenance records. He spent a whole lot more than I bought it for \:\) . I would post a pick of the trees, but they just look like little sticks right now.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Have you started a travel log for the mill yet?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Jeffery three, how are you going to mark your tree locations ? I have trees coming soon from the Texas forestry. I need to mark the locations so I don't inadvertently mow them or spray any herbicides. The markers are going to have to last long enough for the trees to start looking like trees(2-3 years)...du

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Tom G: I have not pocked up the mill yet. The builder is in Arkansas and it should be done this week. The ice storm hit them pretty hard.

david u: I made 4' stakes from cedar limbs and spray painted the tops white. I looked at survey flags, but they are short and fade. This way I can repaint the tops. I have not put many up yet, ran out of time. Sink them in about a foot and leave 3 feet sticking up. Remember to use cedar with some pink heartwood, the sapwood could rot. Are your trees going to be in rows? Some of mine are and I just marked the beginning and end of the row to line up on when mowing. A lot are not going to be marked since I am planting in an area that was flooded for over a year. The water weeds have died off and I got the trees in before the land weeds have seeded in yet. You will run over or cut some trees no mater what you do.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I buy the cheaper grade of 1/2" pvc pipe (thinner walls; for sprinkler water lines). They come in 10 footers. I cut them in half. A #3 rebar (3/8" x 18" or 24") gets pounded into the ground and a pvc section gets slipped over the rebar.
The downside? If some jamoke swipes the PVC, you have a tire threat in the weeds.

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Here are some photos, sorry none of the little twigs themselves(to hard to see in photos). First pic shows the planting areas. Red is mayhaw and green is cypess. Mayhaws were spaced 10-12 feet apart abd most were within 2-3 feet of waters edge. Soil tested at 7.5 pH, mayhaws like it acidic soil so I hope they take in this muck. Also, need to decide what I am going to do on the area I am standing on: wildlife foodplot or replant with trees.

Second is a better shot of the cypress planting area. Most of the oaks close to the planting area have died from flooding. planted with 6-8 foot spacing, some in rows but tried to make it look natural. The close spacing is because cypress seedlings suffer higher mortality than average for seedling planting. The competition will also make them grow straighter and taller.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Commendable job of revitalizing the flora, J3. We plugged in about 800 shrubs and 400 spruce last spring. The deer decimated the shrubs. The Norway Spruce fared better (known as higher resistance to deer browse)

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Well, luckily pigs don't like my particular types of seedlings. Checked things over last night and they uprooted 2 but did not eat them. Otherwise, they probably would have gone right down the line eating them all. I was out there trying out the new sawmill . Hopefully I will have pics soon of the setup, got out there right before dark, and pics of dock materials. Cuts pretty smooth, doesn't look like I will need to plane the oak dock timbers. Eastern redcedar test board:

My father suggested a dock construction style he used on Toledo Bend. Sink a pvc tube big enough around to hold your dock pilings inside. Since they are hollow you can pound them further into the bottom by hand. Set piling inside. Fill gap with cement. Any thoughts on this? They used 6" pvc to hold 4x4's and used a piece of 4x4 with a 2x6 scrap on the end as their sacrificial piece to beat on.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Go schedule 40 if you use PVC. Unless it comes heavier than that (?).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
F
F-H Offline
Lunker
Lunker
F
I'd suggest a Wildlife foodplot for the area you are standing on. Trees are exciting and useful - but truthfully they take many, many years to enjoy completely. A food plot will reap benefits in 6 weeks time - and be completely fulfilling in 6 months time. You'll know what to expect from it in less than a year's time.

Lastly - if for no other reason - you can plant trees in the foodplot next year if you want, or the year after, or the year after, etc - while you mull it over. But...... you cannot plant a foodplot over the trees......ever, without losing the cost involved in a forestation project.

FH

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
A washed out cellphone pic of the milling spot. Now I just need to pick out an oak that will make a couple of 2"x12"x16' boards for the dock .

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've got some Oaks that would make the timbers that you're looking for. All you need to do is bring the sawmill! Heck, I think you could get 2" x 16" x 16's out of them!

Pin Oaks do well with wet feet. The land behind the pond is classisfied as a wooded wetland, and it's mainly made up of Pin Oaks (type of Red Oak).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Update time. Pics of the little seedlings in there natural habitat.
Cypress:

Mayhaw:

It looks like almost all of them made it even though some are now in over a foot of water. The forester said as long as the tops are out of the water they should make it. Also, here are some pics of my baby fish nursery. It is almost like an estuary system when my pond is at full pool.
Mini estuary:

Same area from a different direction, creek that flows into pond is on far left and spillway channel is in the center:

Spillway shot, mine is a little different than most peoples, this is about 200 feet from the pond and 6"-1' deep, and full of little fish:

Otto, I don't think I need to make that 1 foot tall dam to flood in the spring, it does it itself . Some may recall that I asked a question at the regional meeting about flooding extra area seasonally. This is what my pond does for 4-6 months out of the year. It seems to stay at this level until June or July when it drops back to its normal level which appears to be water table related. Between this area and another marshy area, I picked up about an acre of 6"-1' deep water flooding scrub and grass. I picked up a minnow net so I can catch and identify what all these little fish are \:\) . Grow them up in the big pond in the spring, then force them into the main pond to feed the LMB when it shrinks in the summer.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J3...that is an absolutely wonderful natural habitat. Wow, what a nature zone.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What an awesome property...

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
The place really looks great. It is hard to improve on mother nature.

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Well, I did not think the pond could come up any higher, but it can. It explains why I have a lot of dead oaks since it goes back into the forest. When I bought the property last year it was at this level and stayed there until the middle of summer. One problem is most of my saplings I planted may not make it with the water this high. The new, greatly expanded fish nursery covers about 2 acres of less than 2' water and was full of little guys everywhere and I was sight casting to LMB hunting with a weedless deer hair popper with my fly rod . You can also see the dead oaks in the background:

The pond floods almost all of the way to the trees in the background. 3 acres in the fall and 5 in the spring/early summer according to planimeter measurements:

It will be interesting to see how my fishery evolves with this pond fluctuation. I don't feed and the pond was understocked with forage in the beginning by the PO. Millions of Gams are zooming around in those shallows now, though. Also, found out I still have a nutria around, chewed ash:

Chewed eastern redcedar, mmm cedary fresh breath:

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lookin good Jeff.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Makes you want to put a kayak in the water and go exploring.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ought to be some really great duck hunting in the Fall and Winter. Of course, that assumes Fall rains that we used to get.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
The water covers a lot more area that I ever thought it would.

But it reallylooks great.

J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thought I would post an update and some pics. The dam is a little unorthodox with all of the trees:

Here is the marsh on the west side with the dead tree area in the background:

I am going to replace them with flood tolerant types, and here is a photo from the trees looking out to the pond:

The water has been standing here for about 3 months now and needs to come down another foot to get out of the trees. The oaks don't like it so cypress, tupelo, and sycamore are going to replace them. Probably going to cut the rest down before they die so that I can mill them into lumber. Here is our peninsula that we plan on building something on soon, just don't know what:

The slope is kind of steep, but gives it some good elevation for looking over the pond. For the history buffs out there, here is the concrete pad left over from the railroad's steam engine days:

The water tower used to sit here and the pond was built to supply the tower with water in 1898. We had enough water to float my lumber pile of its blocks and fill my garden tractor's crankcase with water, which is about 4' above full pool. Here is a parting shot from when I was about to leave for the day:

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Your pond is a real beauty.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
+1

You can almost smell the green grass. Beautiful.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images