Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
10 members (Zep, Mainer, Donatello, Joe7328, Shorthose, Snipe, NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8), 1,160 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
who has cheapest golden shiners?

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Andersons is the only place I know of that will ship them in any size. You could always look at a local supplier.

Do you need them to raise for bait or are you looking to stock them? If so what is your pond like? size, fish in it, what part of Oklahoma are you in?.

This will help answer your question.

Get out and fish.
R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
jakeb,

They will be for bait...for striper fishing...

also im in broken arrow

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Im not familiar with the fish farms/hatcheries in that area because I live south of lawton.

Andersons is in Lonoke, Arkansas and they ship large shiners year round. Also if you live close enough you could go pick them up.

If you are interested in it there are many threads about raising shiners in tubs of water for bait or stocking in ponds.

Outside of that I dont know who would sell them outside of local biat shops.

Maybe some of the others can help. Ill see what I can find.

Get out and fish.
R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
ive been reading on raising shiners in tubs.... are there anypic on this??

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I think rainman has a thread with pics on his system for raising tilapia in tubs, ill try to find it, im sure would work for shiners

Get out and fish.
R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
thanks man

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Ok, so I've been lurking for a couple of weeks. But you two are both in my area and I've read the entire series of rearing of perch in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tub. I have finally broke down and bought one. I have been debating between Perch and Minnows. I sent two emails to Anderson’s to see if they have any of their box specials of 250K Minnows, but no answer as of today. I was thinking rearing the Perch if they don’t answer my emails. I don’t get to catch or eat any unless I go up to Michigan for a visit (No matter how many times Okies call Bluegill –Perch. LOL)
Anyhow I just wanted to agree with the rearing of your own bait and to introduce myself…

Russell
CowboyCrew
The Thomas Ranch
Member 5010
R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
where'd you get your 100 gall rubbermaid? walmart only has 50 gallon.......

what type of filter are you using? a cheap aquarium one for 10 bucks @ walmart should do.....

I plan on spawning rosy reds..... cuz there so easy....done it numerous times....

Green Sunfish and Golden shiners....

I know its going to take @ least (two) 100 gallons tubs to do it right....

one for parents other for fry...

both should have filters in it...

It would only take (2) adult perch....

Males are brightly colored until gills...

provide pea gravel and sand mixture for substract

condition well on eartworms...floating cichlid pellets and shrimp pellets.....

Should spawn within a few months....

keep water temp around 72-75 degrees

R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
perch imho prolly better than golden shiners....

I thought golden shiners grew fast thats why I wanted to go that route...but on the plus you can go catch your own adult bluegills for free

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Cowboy, I live close to Randlett on the Texas line. Do you have a pond?

Get out and fish.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Cowboy,

Anderson has sold out of their fry, so you'll have to wait until next year to get them.

I bought two boxes this year to try and grow them to 2 inches before releasing them into the lake. I had about 300,000 caged inside some sheets I glued together and staked down in the lake. Most of them lived for about a week, but then I noticed a sharp decline in numbers inside the cage after it rained really heavy one morning. No idea if they died or escaped, but I'm not considering that experiment successful.

I may try again next year with a different plan which includes a constant supply of infusoria into the water where they're caged. I just need to figure out how to make sure I have enough for 250,000 fry to eat.

Must Grow Fish!!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Jake,
My son in law's Parents own one here in Oklahoma, but it isn't managed.
My In-laws own a large Ranch down in Arizona, The Thomas Ranch and they have several small ponds, but we are working on putting a much larger one in now. Not sure how big. I just found PondBoss Magazine in OKC at BPS, so I think I’m going to subscribe and pay for my Father In-Law too. That will get him in the mood.
I am currently Active so no Pond for me, but Aquaculture has always intrigued me. My current plan is just to raise fish. I am currently waiting Anderson’s to see about the minnows, they will be used for Fishing and just to see if I can do it without killing them all.
No time like now…

Runko,
That is probably why I am choosing them… Walleye fishing is real close. I guess I am blessed to have Walleye, Saugeye, and Saugers just 15 minutes away from my house. Minnows=Walleye…
I picked up a 100 Gallon Rubbermaid stock tank at Attwood’s here in Lawton for $69.00.

Russell
CowboyCrew
The Thomas Ranch
Member 5010
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Runko,
I saw I missed a few questions.

I did not choose a filter, or an air system for it yet. I still need to get some PVC pipe and start creating the system. I think I'll purchase window screen to try to keep the fry from escaping plus to keep the fingerlings from jumping out of the top.

Russell
CowboyCrew
The Thomas Ranch
Member 5010
R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
how are you going to do this? in the same tank?

Last edited by runk0; 06/04/09 10:54 PM.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Yea,

I'm going to screen the filter off so they can't get to it. I'm going to set up the drain with the screen as well. Then I'll build a custom top to keep the fingerlings from jumping out once they get that big.

But it will be one or the other as far as Perch or Minnows.

Russell
CowboyCrew
The Thomas Ranch
Member 5010
R
runk0 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
yes is what ill be doing my breeding in....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-Fish-Snap-Set-Ha...%3A1%7C294%3A50

500 gallons for under 35 bucks \:\)

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
My Rottweiler would never stay out of that. I can't get him to stay out of our inground pool, and I can't get my wife to let me chage it into a cement pond...

Looks like a great idea though...

Russell
CowboyCrew
The Thomas Ranch
Member 5010
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Guys you will not be able to raise the 250,000 fry in a 100gal if thats what your trying. They need massive abouts of miscroscopic material to eat, and I highly doubt you can duplicate that in a small tub. However if you order the fingerlings from andersons you should find it easy to grow them out to bait size. And may be about to raise a few even.

Twolakes, what you tried is almost impossible to do (with fry). Mr. Lusk has said your best chances with the 250,000 fry will be to take them out to the most open water of your pond and release them out there.

If you guys are trying to do something else then disregard this post.

Get out and fish.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Cowboy Crew,

100 Years at the Thomas Ranch that quite an accomplishment, how many acres is it? As you probably know Oklahoma had the centenial in 07 and our family had a quarter of land that was almost in the family the 100 years from back in the land run days, but one of my relatives had to sell it in the 80's when they fell on hard times or we would have one of those stone pillars telling the history of our family and land on that place :(.

We have a small ranch of our own and run stocker calves to make a living.

Get out and fish.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I think they may have escaped TwoLakes...

Jake,
The Ranch is just over 14K acres. It was much bigger but along the way family also fell apun hard times and had to piece some of it away.

I am not planning on rearing them all in the same tank.
But I figure I could get them to fry size.

Then I would have to get other tanks and start seperating them, just as Bruce did in his Perch experiment back in 2007.

My son in-law's pond would be the recipient of all excess that I wouldn't beable to hold any longer. I'm sure the Bass and Catfish in there would love that...

As far as microscopic food, what would be needed for the minnows to survive? I figure they would live off of there sacks until they mature into fry and then they would eat bread crumbs and small fish flakes, until they were bigger.

I may be way off. Thats why I'm trying this.

TwoLakes also stated that Anderson's was out so I may have to go with the Perch Idea and try to raise them.

Russell
CowboyCrew
The Thomas Ranch
Member 5010
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Cowboy,

The fry eat infusoria which are microscopic organisms that are found in the pond. They are too small to eat any kind of fish food. I actually bought the flake goldfish food at wal-mart and crumbled it up into powder and they wouldn't eat that.

I bought 5 full size flat sheet from wal-mart and glued them together with fabritac. There were no openings for the fry to escape. I also bought a 40 foot heavy chain and fed that through a sock at the bottom of the sheets. I expected the chain to follow the contour of the pond bottom so there weren't any openings for fry to escape or predators to enter.

My fry lived about 10 days before I noticed a sharp decline in numbers inside the cage. My guess is the area inside the 40 foot circumference circle wasn't large enough to support the amount of infusoria needed for them to eat.

I started dumping about 7 minnow buckets full of lake water inside the cage each day once I noticed their numbers declining. I was able to keep some of them alive for two weeks, but I finally got frustrated and released them into the general population. I probably had around 5,000 left out of the 300,000 I started with.

As far as using window screen, I actually built a 4 x 3 x 8 cage and wrapped with window screen. The fry are smaller than the holes in the screen and could swim through it.

Must Grow Fish!!
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Yep Twolakes is right the 250,000 fry are to small for cages for many reasons but if you bought shiners at 2-4 inch from somewhere, you would be able to feed them and grow them to the size you are looking for.

Get out and fish.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Ok,

I just saw that add and figured I could give it a shot, but like twolakes said Anderson's called me and left a message saying they where out, so that idea is nipped in the butt anyhow.

Now I think I should try the whole perch thing, like bruce did back in 2007.

I would release those in my son in-laws pond and see how his fish like those, then I could also have a/an (hopefully)established yellow perch population.

Russell
CowboyCrew
The Thomas Ranch
Member 5010

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM