Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165122 05/25/09 08:46 AM
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/v-print/story/1213426.html -->
http://www.kansascity.com | 05/23/2009 | ‘Pond doctor’ helps people create their own dream fishing holes<

A couple of years ago, Jack Rudnay realized that his dream of developing a trophy bass lake was starting to slip away. Thick vegetation covered one portion of the lake, making it virtually inaccessible. The bass were skinny, obviously lacking in food. And while there were big fish in there, the fish were predominantly in the 12-inch range. That’s when Rudnay called Shawn Banks, known as the “pond doctor.”

Banks, who runs Midwest Lake Management, a business that specializes in rehabilitating small fishing holes, took a series of steps to get Rudnay’s private lake in central Missouri back in balance. And on a recent fishing trip, it was obvious that the steps were working. As Rudnay fought a 13-inch bass to the boat, he said, “That’s a healthy boy bass.” Banks nodded and added, “Two years ago, that fish would have been skinny. But he’s in good shape. He’s getting enough to eat.” That was the goal when Banks set out to work with Rudnay, the former Chiefs center, to achieve his dreams. Rudnay moved to the country years ago, built a home overlooking a valley and had a pond constructed to his specifications. He spent hours building brush piles, designing ledges and dropoffs, and developing spawning and feeding flats for the bass. And for a while, things were good. “Like a lot of people, I had always dreamed of having my own Walden Pond,” said Rudnay, who played for the Chiefs from 1970 to 1982. “I wanted to move out into the country, live out in nature and have a fishing spot of my own. “I put a lot of sweat equity into it, but it was worth it. When my grandson caught his first bass there, I knew I had done something right.” >But eventually, the pond got out of balance, partly because of the lack of harvest. “Those bass are like my babies,” Rudnay said. “I just couldn’t bring myself to kill them.” Troubled by a lack of big fish, Rudnay turned to Banks.

The fisheries biologist started by electroshocking the lake to find what was there. Then he set a plan into motion. Because Rudnay didn’t want to remove any of the bass, Banks advised providing the fish with a heavy dose of food. He stocked 12,000 golden shiners into the lake, providing a high-protein food source. Banks also removed the water shield vegetation that had overrun part of the lake. That made it easier for the bass to find their forage and opened a whole segment of the lake to fishing. Today, Banks continues to stock golden shiners in the lake. And the results are evident. Rudnay caught the biggest bass his lake has yielded — a fish that weighed 7 pounds, 12 ounces — a year ago. And he is convinced that there are even bigger ones out there. Most of the fish are still growing, the first phase of the renovation. But Rudnay sees a bright future. “I think we’re on the right track,” he said. “The fish already look healthier.” Rudnay got a reminder on this fishing trip. As he cast spinnerbaits and pitched bass jigs to the brushy shallows, he caught a number of healthy bass in
the 12- to 15-inch range. Banks also found success, catching some of the bass he was managing. For both, it was proof that sometimes Mother Nature needs a helping hand. Banks, a former fisheries biologist with the Missouri Department of Conservation, started his private business several years ago when he noticed the demand from fishermen such as Rudnay who wanted personal attention in developing a dream fishing hole. Today, he provides fisheries management for 35 customers, and provides aquatic weed control for another 100. He uses everything from setting up automatic feeders to providing aeration systems to providing cover such as brush piles and PVC “trees.” He also sets up plans to stock forage in ponds and lakes, and tests to make sure the pH of the water is in balance. “We get everything from people who want us to manage a three-quarter acre pond for their grandkids to fish in, to people who want a trophy fishery,” Banks said. “Every body of water is different. What works one place won’t necessarily work at another.< “But we’ve been able to come up with some things that will improve the fishing almost everywhere we go.”

Problems and solutions Farm ponds can be great fishing holes. But because of their small size, they can also get out of balance quickly. Here are some of the problems, and some of the solutions advised by Shawn Banks, who runs the Midwest Lake Management business that specializes in managing small bodies of water.
; Problem: Stunted fish.
>Solution: Increased harvest of small fish and/or stocking forage such as golden shiners.

Problem: Not enough cover.
Solution: Sinking brush piles or PVC structures in key spots such as at the edge of dropoffs.

Problem: >Low oxygen levels in the summer.
Solution: Aeration systems or fountains to recirculate the water.</P>
<P>•<STRONG>More information: </STRONG>Call Banks at 816-804-5604.</

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Very cool. Congratulations Shawn and thanks for posting that Dave.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Congratulations Shawn, the news needs more stories like this ;\)

Get out and fish.
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
nice pub way to go Shawn.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Neat article...great job, Shawn!

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Shawn great job with the pond and the article.

Thanks Dave for the heads up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
A heartfelt congrats to you Shawn! Press-worthy, awesome!

Now, did Mr. Rudnay do any culling?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Thanks guys. Mr Rudnay will start culling this year- much to his dismay. We may actually cull for him with the EF boat so he doesn't have to watch his babies go bye-bye. His 18 acre pond was about 40% choked with veg, so clearing out about half of it did wonders for his bass growth as did the shiner stockings. He does need to cull some bass, though. He's coming around. Bob actually referred him to me about 3 years ago. Best referral I ever got. Jack has become a great friend, and I always enjoy working on his pond, fishing with him, listening to his stories, and sampling his tequila......straight in a glass. He's a cool guy. I mean how many people have ever been credited with man-handling Dick Butkus on a televised football game?

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Very cool, Shawn. Nice work, good press, and well deserved.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm sure you guys are creating new stories to tell by combining tequila with a shock boat.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hold my tequila and watch this stunt! Honest, it just tickles a little bit.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 05/27/09 10:51 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Very cool Shawn!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Superb article on a great guy and helluva fisheries biologist. Congrats Shawn!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
My dad told me this weekend about this article about some guy that was working on this ex-Chiefs player's pond, and I immediately said, "I bet that's Shawn Banks."

He went upstairs and grabbed the article, and indeed it was!

Very cool article. Looks like a really nice pond too.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??