Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,927
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (gautprod, Fishingadventure, Tinylake, Knobber, Groundhog7, Jward87, Theo Gallus, DrewSh), 1,046 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#164182 05/18/09 02:28 PM
L
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
L
I have been reading these forums for over a year. Now I am ready to ask a question.

We have had some rain up here in North Texas (Montague County) in the last month and my tanks have really turned muddy. Maybe < 4 inches down can't see the bait.

I know I need to clear the water, but what is the best method to catch LMB in a muddy pond?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Welcome to the forum longhorn!

IME, dark colored baits particularly black seem to work well in very muddy waters. Also larger baits, baits that have a lot of movement, like creature baits with multiple tails etc, baits that rattle or otherwise make noise or that vibrate. These features allow bass to key in on the bait with the lateral line and less with their eyes..

I do a lot of night fishing for bass as I work the midnight shift and tend to be up late. It is peaceful on the lakes at night, no jet skies and lots of bass who aren't used to be caught at night. The lures used at night are much the same as though used in extremely muddy water.

Bigger, darker and louder fished slower...

We'll see what others have to say.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
CJBS hit it right on the head. You need to appeal to the LMBs other senses. Sure they can still see but they will be relying on scent and lateral line more to locate prey.

I like to use big black colorado blade spinner baits, 10 inch black worms, black and blue jigs, and creature baits. I like creature baits that have ridges on the body. The ridges seem to disturb the water just enough to get the attention of the more finiky LMB. Sometimes the spinnerbait is a little too much for the finiky LMB. I use scent with all of the lures I just mentioned.

I love night time bassin. It's so peacefull. The biggest fish I have ever caught on the pond have been at night.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Brett295; 05/18/09 04:03 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It may depend on just how big your pond/tank is.

On smaller waters I find that loud stuff spooks fish. There, I go small and unobtrusive no matter what color the water is. Maybe a small Roadrunner.

If you have a larger body of water, I prefer noisemakers with flash. In other words spinnerbaits that will bring them to sound when they can't see and chase it. Unlike CJB, I prefer chartreuse in mud but, like him, black at night.

My place is just South of Bowie. Where are you?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
L
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
L
Ok I grew up learning black in muddy lakes so that makes sense. I have been trying black 10" worms with fire, white or chartreuse tails and some top water, spinner baits that make noise (large).

I don't know much about scents, power bait or some kind of spray on? Reccomendations on sprays? We used to just spit on them in Louisiana, LOL.

Tank is only about 1/2 acre so I think too much noise could be spooking them.

I am near Nocona, Tx.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Is there any flooded area's? When the water gets muddy I like to flip and pitch dark colored jigs, worms or frogs in shallow water. I have literally killed bass in water 1-2ft. Fish sloooowwww. Also look around your pond more than likely there is an area that is less muddy, could be very suttle difference but a difference. Fish tend to concentrate in those area as well.

My alltime favorite a black/blue jig with a black/blue crawfish trailor fished in shallow water.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I like scent brands that have pure crawfish oil in them. When you dip the bait in the water it actually makes a oil slick on the surface and you can smell the crawfish smell. I definitely notice a difference when fishing with the scent as opposed to no scent added.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Anise oil works quite well also.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
With 1/2 acre, the fish can become conditioned. When they see you, they start thinking about corn meal and hot grease. Sneaking up on the pond and using ultra light tackle may be your best bet.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dark colored spinner baits which put out alot of vibration have always worked great for me on LMB. Black or blue skirts with a colorado blade are usually deadly.

Remember to run them fairly fast. Muddy water tends to warm much faster, which can produce very aggressive fish, particularly early mornings or late evenings into the night.

During the day, try a black 8" power worm.

This always works for me.

Derek
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Rattle traps and buzzbaits.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction