Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
10 members (Zep, Mainer, Donatello, Joe7328, Shorthose, Snipe, NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8), 1,160 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
TJ's recent post:

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I am really interested in everyone's little slices of heaven, to learn the impetus for their projects, their origins, the decisions they had to make when a fork came, which way they went, why, was it wise....

I think a pond survey would be really cool - posing certain questions to learn all we can of each other's watersheds - their unique qualities, challenges, etc. - then map them out.

Got me thinking a survey would be pretty cool. The Pond Boss Forum Map was very interesting. With 140 people putting their locations on the map, it really gives you a good idea where we all are...

Perhaps a survey like this has been done before, but maybe an update is due. After all, new people join the forum every day! So, tell us about your pond(s)...

PHOTOS, WE ALL LOVE PHOTOS!
(Just cut and paste the below questions and place in your post, then you can answer in the spaces between them)

What region of the country is it located?

How old is it?

How much did the project cost? Or did you buy the pond with the property?

How many acres is it?(what led to it being this size)

What's the maximum and average depth?(why these depths)

Is it near your house or is it a weekend get away?

Do you have a dock, boat ramp, any other features?

Aeration, if so what system?

Do you feed, if so what brand food, how much and how?

Aquatic vegetation, species present, % of your pond covered, submergent/emergent/trees?

What game fish species are present? Biggest of each caught, average size of each species?

Do you have any forage fish species in your pond, if so are they naturally reproducing or do you stock them annually?

How many hours a week on average do you spend fishing/relaxing at/maintaining your pond?

Anything you wish you did different?

Anything else you'd like to add about your pond(s)?

Obviously, if you don't want to answer a certain question for whatever reason, don't... This is meant to be entertaining and a learning experience for us all. I think it would be particularly invaluable for those of us who are still in the planning stages...

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Nicely done. Who's going first?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
How old is it?

Less than a year.

Whatever the cost of fuel, several gallon of hydraulic oil, and hydraulic hoses.

.4 acres

Max 12'. Needed alot of depth due to Texas droughts
Average depth 5-6'

Weekend getaway. 200 yards away from the campers.

Dock 16'x8' platform and 4'x10' walkway.

Not at the moment but plans for a vertex.

Purina, feed through a Moultrie feedcaster

Aquatic vegetation, species present, % of your pond covered, submergent/emergent/trees?

none

What game fish species are present? Biggest of each caught, average size of each species?

None, planning for SMB

Do you have any forage fish species in your pond, if so are they naturally reproducing or do you stock them annually?

RES, FHM, GSH

Make the bank slopes less steep.

Lunker
Lunker

Denton, NE - 8 miles West from my home in Lincoln, NE

How old is it?

4 ponds build June 2008

Bought 44 acres of rolling, native prairie and wooded draws. Timber was cleared and 15,000 cubic yards of earth moved to create ponds. Land $6,500/acre, ponds all in $35k

Main pond - 4 acres, 3 specialty ponds .2, .25, .35 acres. This was as much earth as I could afford to move!

Main pond - 18' - average 5' with 2:1 slopes.
.2 acre Crappie pond - 12' - average 4' with 2:1
.25 acre RES/BG pond - 9' - average depth 6' with 2:1
.35 acre SMB repro pond - 9' - average depth 6' with 2:1

12 minutes from my front door

I have a 50 GPM well to irrigate all ponds separately, and an AgriDrain on my two repro ponds to independently adjust water levels as necessary. I am planning on a dock later this Summer and building a beach/retaining wall/deck area overlooking 4 acre pond. I have just completed running power 2500 ft to my property from the blacktop, and have 220 power running to my main pond so I can install green monster lights.

Will be installing new 1/2 HP Vertex Air 7 system this Fall or next Spring.

Hand feed double secret probation pellets.

Very little FA [1% coverage], some species of sedge is now growing in ponds [pretty excited!] and very few cattails I am keeping very sparce with pulling.

I pulled all timber from ponds but have build many rockpiles, points, and boulder fields and will be creating PVC stump fields and adding some other PVC structure soon.

[b]Main pond current: CSBG, RES, HSB, YP, GS, PK Shrimp, FHM - will be adding SMB this Fall or next Spring and eventually Female LMB and possibly SE or WE for bonus fish.
Crappie pond: GSH, PK Shrimp, FHM - will be adding Triploid Black Crappie very soon
Other ponds dry

I have fished for 10 minutes in my pond...too busy getting their habitat created![/b]

700 PK Shrimp, 25 lbs FHM, 500 GSH stocked

How many hours a week on average do you spend fishing/relaxing at/maintaining your pond?

15-20

Male only BG

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Belleville IL Near Highway 15.

How old is it?
At least 26 years. My parents moved there when I was only 1 year old. I'm 26 now so I know it's at least that old.

I don't know because our family didn't build the pond.

1.78 long acres. It's verry long and windy. It's not verry wide I can almost cast to a point on the other bank from my beach.

17 Feet deep. Average is probably 5-6 feet. I've never realy done a survey of the pond so that's a guess.

It's my parents house so I used to live there. Now I just visit when I can. I live about 15 minutes away from the pond now.

I don't have a dock. We have a beach in front of the house and other families that live on the pond have docks. If my wife and I decide to buy that house I would certainly build a dock.

No aeration. Again, If I decide to buy the house that will be the first project. I would go with a bottom diffuser. I don't have a specific brand I'm looking for I just want good customer service and a dependable low maintenence pump.

I acutaly got my mom interested in the pond. She has been living there for 26 years and realy never showed any interest in the pond. I asked her to start throwing some GFC out for the fish and after the first couple of weeks she realy started to enjoy it. She actualy looks forward to feeding the fish now. How could you not enjoy feeding the fish though, it's so relaxing.

I don't know if Algea counts. but we get a little algea growth every year. probably less than 10% of the pond is ever covered with the stuff. We also have Cypress trees that are partialy in the water and partialy out of the water. The knees and roots make great cover for small fish.

We have LMB, CC, BG, RES, PS, GSF, HBG, and about 6 GC. The biggest CC I have ever weighed is 7.8 LBS. Largest LMB ever weighed 3 lbs. Largest BG ever weighed .78 lbs.

I'm not sure what the average size of LMB are right now. I have been culling the heck out of them the last couple of years so I'm sure it's better than it used to be. I don't have my LMB harvest log with me right now. I'll report back with average size some other day.

The only forage is BG, RES, GSF, and the few HBG remaining. I have been throwing the HBG and GSF on the beech for the last couple of years.

If I'm lucky I get about 3-5. Some weeks I don't get to go over there at all. I have to stain my mom's deck here in the next couple of weeks so I'll get to enjoy the scenery for a good 8 hours a day those days.

Yeah, Of course. I wish I started reading pond boss about 20 years ago (when was pond boss established?). I wish HBG would have never been stocked. I wish the stupid GC would have never been stocked. The GC were stocked to eat the FA which they won't eat. Now, they just Eat GFC. My neighbor stocked them. He just does whatever this greedy fish dealer tells him to do. I had a talk with him about that and I think he will at least consult me before he stocks anything else.

I wish we would have installed an aeration system before the pond even filled. I wish the Cypress trees would have been planted in the water instead of on land near the water. I wish structure would have been placed throughout the pond before it filled. I also wish I would have started culling LMB about 20 years ago.

It's a great place and I love to fish there. If my wife and I decide not to buy the house it will be sad to have to sell it to someone else that may or may not appreciate the pond. Even so it has it's draw backs. Neighbors are a double edged sword. They are great to help with the costs of certain projects but they also stock some less than desireable fish and generaly have little knowledge of how to handle fish, stock fish, treat for algea, etc....... So my wife and I may be better off holding out for a pond of our own with a slightly smaller house. We'll just have to see where life leads us. My parents hous on the pond is huge. It is probably way more than we will ever need. So, that will have to factor in to our decision.

Either way the pond is a great place to relax and forget about the stresses of the real world (at least for a little while).

Obviously, if you don't want to answer a certain question for whatever reason, don't... This is meant to be entertaining and a learning experience for us all. I think it would be particularly invaluable for those of us who are still in the planning stages...

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Thanks Brett, great post...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D

40 miles east of Kansas City, Missouri

How old is it?

3 years old

Too much. Wish I owned a dozer, I would have made it bigger.

.75 acres

10 feet max., 6 feet avg.

150 yards behind our house.

No, but wanting to build a small dock.

None yet.

Yes. Aquamax 3-5 times a week by hand when water temps are optimal.

A few cattails, some moss, and a few bushes of some kind. I also have a small brush pile submerged.

LMB, CC, BG, HBG. LMB are around 8 inches, CC close to 4 lbs., not sure of others.

FHM initially, BG naturally sustaining.

6-12 hours a week.

I wish I had hired a professional to seed/hydroseed the pond banks, esp. the dam. I also wish I’d had the opportunity to lime the pond prior to it filling, but it was raining hard the day it was finished and filled quickly with a 15-acre watershed.

Working in and around the pond is relaxing and fulfilling to me. I doubt I will ever call it a finished project.

Derek
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Adirondack Mtns. upstate New York

How old is it?
3 years

The pond sits on 50 acres, and the pond was built by mostly damming up a gully. Cost $2500.

1 acre, money available.

max. 8ft., avg. 5ft.

95 miles from home, future retirement home.

Dock

Small 1/8 hp linear pump.

yes, aquamax & Zeigler gold. Modified deer feeder.

2 Natural floating islands, with pickerel weed, cattails & grasses. some submerged trees.

BRNT,BRKT,RT,PS. RT- 18"

PS & GSH reproduce naturally.

15 hrs

An extra $20,000 sure would be nice to enlarge, deepen & improve the pond.

I enjoy working on and trying to improve the pond within my budget, and helps to keep me from terminating my ex-son inlaw.

summer 2008

Last edited by adirondack pond; 05/18/09 03:15 PM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
That's a great photo of your pond AP... It just looks like its been there for a 1000 years. It just fits in perfectly!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Come on CJ, you need to put your info down on the creek, and secret community ponds your experimenting with. ;\)

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My dad owns the creek and the HOA owns the ponds. No one in my neighborhood seems interested in the ponds, so I am not complaining! Not my creek or ponds, but I still have fun playing with them...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I will make a stab at this. These lakes/ponds are on my inlaws ranch. we have 5 ranging 100 acres to 8 acres or so. My favorite and the one I am most familiar with is 65 acres so thats the one I will give details.

Region:

Zavala County S.Texas

40 + years. This lake was built after the drought of the 50's with goverment assitance.

Cost:

No idea

Size:

65 acres when at full level. Being in S.texas usually is some where around 60-70% capacity. In flood stage it will encompass aprrox 125 acres.

Depth:

Deepest at full level approx 40 ft. Average depth 6-7ft.

Proximety to homes:

From headquarters it is approx 7 miles. There is an old camp house within a 100 yds that we camp in on occassion. The ranch is 3.5 hours from where I live.

Extra features:

There is a dock and canopy to protect from the S.texas sun.

Aeriation:

Only mother nature

Feed:

none.

Auquatic Vegeitaion:

I know very little about plants but there is some lilly pads, and some type of water grass. There is some bulrush, coontail, and water willow I think. There is a lot of flooded mesquite and brush.

Game Fish:

Pretty good mixture. LMB, Crappie, Blue Cat & Channel Cat.

Forage Fish:

FHM, TFS, RES, BG.

Trash fish:

Long nose gar and the reproducing carp. Don't have a clue how they got in.

Known Lake Records:

LMB -- 14lbs ( personal best 11 3/4 lbs. Have caught several between 8-10lbs.
Blue Cat --35lbs
CC -- 20lbs
Crappie -- not sure I caught on around 2 lbs
BG -- never weighed one but there are some nice sized ones.

How many hours do you enjoy/fish:

Since we live 3.5 hours away not that often. I usually fish it about 10-15 days a year. Usually when we are down there we are working cattle or something. Now that my little girl is getting big and she enjoys fishing I am sure that we will spend more time fishing.

Only thing I can add is that I wish the ranch were closer. Great potential to creat mutiple fisheries. However I am thankful for whats there.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Brandon, sounds like a great lake! I am jealous!

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Adirondack Mtns. upstate New York

How old is it?
3 years

The pond sits on 50 acres, and the pond was built by mostly damming up a gully. Cost $2500.

1 acre, money available.

max. 8ft., avg. 5ft.

95 miles from home, future retirement home.

Dock

Small 1/8 hp linear pump.

yes, aquamax & Zeigler gold. Modified deer feeder.

2 Natural floating islands, with pickerel weed, cattails & grasses. some submerged trees.

BRNT,BRKT,RT,PS. RT- 18"

PS & GSH reproduce naturally.

15 hrs

An extra $20,000 sure would be nice to enlarge, deepen & improve the pond.

I enjoy working on and trying to improve the pond within my budget, and helps to keep me from terminating my ex-son inlaw.

summer 2008

AP

I want to visit your place someday...I love reading:

BRNT,BRKT,RT,PS. RT- 18"

Neat to read those species - uncommon on the forum...thanks for giving us a glimpse into your slice of paradise!!!

Lunker
Lunker
Brandon - awesome LAKE you have there! I am jealous of your BC and CC - I can't have them due to the size of the pond and I worry about their predation and effects on water clarity - but I grew up cattin and miss it a lot. Those are bruiser cats by the way - nice work.

Lunker
Lunker
Derek

I hear you on your wish list RE grading and seeding the pond perimeter. I bit the bullet and had it done and am very relieved I did...I usually end up regretting NOT spending the money. Sounds like a really nice emerging fishery...any pics?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Thanks TJ, I still have to lick the winterkill problem though.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I have faith in ya whoopin it good AP! HAHA

Lunker
Lunker
Travis and AP

Too bad you guys can't shoot winter kill...I jest, I jest! Actually, pretty impressed you took the time and effort to make that electric fence...is it working well for you? I'll bet if we had otters out here and they weren't so rare I'd be leveling crosshairs on them too...eventually. Great they are making a comeback, too bad it's at the expense of my pondboss friends' fish populations!

Winter kill - Even with your aeration it's an issue? What can you do? Excavate for some additional depth with a backhoe?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
TJ, I needed something on the job 24-7 since I don't live there, if an otter wants to dance he's gonna find an electric partner. \:D
The pond dropping over 3 ft. this winter, and aeration was at 4ft., so you can see the problem.

Lunker
Lunker
You'd think one zap and the otters would head to the creek to look for some brookies? I wish you had a game camera and could show us some videos...I think that would be interesting to see the various creatures find your wires!

Dry winters in the Adirondacks? I just figured you had 50" of snowpack from Dec-March. Could you pump water from creek to the pond via trash pump once a month to keep her leveled off?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I did keep 2 of my gravity feed lines blown out this winter but there weren't many times that I was able to pump water cause it was so cold, and it took 24hrs to raise the pond 2 inches.
By the end of the winter both water lines had froze up while I was pumping water.
I checked my weather station log and it was below zero 19 of 31 days in Jan., so you see part of the problem, and we didn't have any real thaw this winter.

Lunker
Lunker
I've hijacked a great thread, and I apologize. AP, one last thing, are you coming to PB Conf?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Sorry for the hijack also, no I was planning to come, but can't make it happen, hopefully will meet you all next year.

Let's hear from more people about your Pond Boss Ponds.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks CJ. It is an awesome lake and fun to fish. You can catch the bass fishing just about any technique. thats what makes it fun.

TJ

I like to throw out some jug lines with live BG as bait. Its fun chasing those jugs around when you hook a big one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...