Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,957
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod, Jason D, Perch Pond, Augie), 1,471 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16387 01/30/07 03:36 PM
H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H

\:\) Finally!! The first day in the contruction of my new 1/3 acre pond in North Texas. My current vision for this pond is to go with CNBG,RES, and female only LMB.Hopefully, i can find them ,when the time comes. We are not big fish eaters in our family, so i was thinking this combination would reduce the harvesting needs, and allow for good size BG and an occassional lunker Bass. What do you'all think?
howard

G
G
Howard, congratulations on your pond construction project – fun stuff.

How ‘bout HSB (hybrid striped bass)?
One mistake on female LMB ID, or a friendly neighbor “helping” your stocking program, and you have a LMB management problem on your hands?

H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Thanks George,
You know i've caught just a ton of big stripers up at texoma, but i have to admit I'm still partial to the old LMB \:\) My property is well fenced, so no neighbor problems. I do worry about a male LMB getting through.. I wonder how easy it would be for that to happen?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Talk to Lusk. He can supply the LMB.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
G
[QUOTE]Originally posted by howard:
[QB] Thanks George,
You know i've caught just a ton of big stripers up at texoma, but i have to admit I'm still partial to the old LMB \:\) My property is well fenced, so no neighbor problems. I do worry about a male LMB getting through.. I wonder how easy it would be for that to happen?

Nice striper - looks like the bluff bank area east of Highport Marina? \:D

Don't know how easy to make mistake on LMB sex ID, but agree with DD - Lusk will know. \:\)

H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
Thanks Dave, I'll definitely talk to Bob. I wasn't aware that he had fish for sale.

BTW- i WAS feeling kind of sorry for my contractor for having to work in the upcoming cold snap till i saw this....

H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
George,
that striper came from gezzerland, up around hwy 70. Every spring from about mid-april to mid-may,you can run the banks with a big chug-bug or redfin,for an hour after sunrise or an hour before dark,longer if you have clouds, and catch some monsters..You just have to keep moving...the best fishing in texas, at times.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Howard, I doubt that Bob has any on hand. However, in that area he is the best source for supplying healthy fish.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Or you can try Donald Inslee at 1800-222-9505, in Connerville, OK. He has some nice fish and can sex them for you.

It's ALL about the fish!
H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
or maybe I'll just make the drive to Buffalo ;\)

not much progress on the pond, hopefully more next week..did put together this prototype BG condo..kind of chaotic, but i think it will work..lots of little crevices, plus that pipe with the holes already in it was cheap.debating on whether to keep hanging little condo's on the same tree. I'll just slide it over that metal post when I'm done. I wanted something that would'nt hurt my dog if she swims into it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The bluegill are going to love that!!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
thanks, Bruce..your condo's were the inspiration \:\) just needed to dog-proof a little.

Excellent pics, keep the reports coming, how deep will this pond be? what other structure are you planning? Gravel/Sand beds, plants, laydowns etc..

inquiring minds want to know. Looks like it will be a great fishery by setting it up the way you are. All Female fish, that should be really neat.

Looking forward to your replys.

H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
thanks 3z. the pond should be about 8' deep at the max. I have a well, so i plan on keeping it at constant level. I planned on putting out 4 of those BG condo's. two on the six foot metal poles, and two on 3' metal poles in shallow water. Otherwise i intend to put some very loosely bundled stainless steel hog wire under my dock in shallow water, and hang some variation of artificial christmas trees from the dock itself.The pond is going to have a small 3' shelf for spawning. I'll put some pea gravel on the shelf,holding it in with a landscape border. I'll need to spread the limbs of those artificial trees pretty far apart to keep them from becoming an inpenetrable ball of algae! I may just attach individual limbs to the botton of the dock. The dock may become the biggest attractor on the pond, so a stratigically placed trap door may be in order!
Looking at fountains and aerators now. Would like to find one unit that would accomplish both, but that's not looking too promising right now.

H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
pond is dug \:\) ,but having to wait for some more dry weather to finish spreading the topsoil.

first sign of wildlife at embryonic pool \:\)

H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
creeping up on "bluegill island" \:\) I'll set out some more condo's later.

Got to get those post set and the joist up on that dock across the way before i can resume filling the pond. The water has a nice light green tint to it, which kind of suprised me. I thought it would be muddier. Fish day is monday the 26th. at the local feed store. I guess i would be jumping the gun if i got some CNBG, a few redear and some minnows. The pond is about 1/3 full. The water about a week old.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
howard, I'm no expert, but I don't think you'd be jumping the gun if you spent a few bucks on some true CNBG, Redears, or fatheads now.

I'm just saying a few bucks as I don't know the water quality (or source); so if there was some problems, you'd only have a few bucks invested in fish.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
sunil,
The water source is from a well. I tested the water in the pond the other day with one of those "testing strips", which measures ph,alkalinity,hardness, and nitrates. Everything tested "ok to ideal", so maybe I'll take a chance \:\)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I couldn't help but throw some fish in then, even it was just a few pounds of fatheads and 20 or 50 CNBG & Readear, assuming that doesn't go against your future goals.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Howard, I doubt that the new water has the fertility to really do well with the fish. There will be another fish truck to come along.

That said, I would personally have to get some fish in there. But then, I have a will power problem.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dave has brought out the real issue at hand with new waters....balancing the 'little kid inside all of us' vs. the enlighntened pond boss who knows that the new fish may struggle a little bit due to the "new" water.

Unfortunately, in my case, the little kid wins out more often than not.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Howard, where did you get your test strip kit? I think one would come in handy to give the pond a cheap checkup every once in a while.

Pond Boss subscriber ever since I joined the forum. Thanks Bob!
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Your pond is looking very nice. I was very eager start stocking mine as well. I was just about to do it, when my fish supplier said it might be wiser to wait a few months and do it when the water temps warm up.

I'm itching to get some fish in there real bad, but not until I see some sign of alge growing. Once I see that, then I'm good to go with fatheads and bluegill. I'll give them a few months to settle in, then I'll add the catfish. I'm still debating on wether to put bass in this year, or wait until next year.

Good luck and thanks for posting pics,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
H
howard Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
H
thanks Eddie, it probably would be better to wait a bit.
The water testing strips are a product called "ecosure". I got them from the local pond supply place. They specilize in those little decorative ponds. I think there are about 25 strips in a bottle, at about $15/bottle. They obviously can't tell you anything about specific deficiencies, but they do seem to give you some general health info. I may use the old "if you can see your fingertips when you put your hand in the water up to your elbow, it's time to fertilize" trick \:\)

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Howard what do the instructions for the strips say they test for as ok? If they test for ok in ornamental ponds for gold fish to swim in that is one thing . Ph (what most strips test for) changes a lot during a day period and is not the same as alkalinity. A good Ph test does not mean there is enough alkalinity for a fertilizer program. Being in a subdivision with lawns and trees and bushes that will or have been fertilized may mean you don't need to . If the pond has had water for 10 days and has a green tint (indicating fertility) it will support FH and small BG but tossing in a little feed would give them a good start. You should think about adding a few bags of pelletized lime as it should help and won't hurt . If you add the lime and wait a couple weeks (with some warm temps) you may well find you don't need any fertilizer. I would go slow on the fertilizer in a new pond until I knew how it will react and would get soil and water tests first. You don't want to end up with a plankton explosion and the resulting smell and a DO crash the first summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana