Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7
18,510 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,979
Posts558,168
Members18,511
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
5 members (bmo, Boondoggle, Blestfarmpond, 4CornersPuddle, homewardbound), 864 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163217 05/12/09 09:25 AM
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
I see alot of talk on here about using feeders, but is it necessary. I remember as a kid just throwing food out every night and the cats would tear it up. Do you all just use feeders for simplicity or am I old fashioned. Personally , my wife and I will enjoy walking down to our pond every night and most mornings before work to watch our little fishies. Just curious what you all thought.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
No need to use a feeder. They're for consistency and ease.

My feeder battery broke in December. Still haven't fixed it, but the fish get fed 'mostly' 2x a day still - doing what you say, just walking to the pond and throwing it out in a cut.

Old fashioned isn't so bad. It's quite enjoyable keeping close eye on your fish.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: AaronM
No need to use a feeder. They're for consistency and ease.

My feeder battery broke in December. Still haven't fixed it, but the fish get fed 'mostly' 2x a day still - doing what you say, just walking to the pond and throwing it out in a cut.

Old fashioned isn't so bad. It's quite enjoyable keeping close eye on your fish.

When Aaron talks fish feeding, listen.
200% Wr(for Bruce). That means fish 2x normal wt. per length.

Last edited by burgermeister; 05/12/09 09:41 AM.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I always feed by hand. If you feed the same spot and time soon the fish will be there waiting for you.

Last edited by Tom F; 05/12/09 09:45 AM.

You have the world at your fingertips
A
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A
thank you guys for the reply. I thought I was just missing a trick or something. My wife is really looking forward to our evening walks to the pond to feed what she calls her children.

Lunker
Lunker
I'm with you, airborne. Handfeeding, up close and personal.

IMHO, automatic feeders are much more de rigueur if you are an absentee PM or if you are on the road a lot.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I wouldn't mind having a few feeders set up in places that it's hard to get to but for my beach feeding spot I enjoy hand feeding.

It's nice to watch the fish show up and eat. It looks like we got a few new CC this year. I would be suprised if they had a successful spawn but somehow we have some 10 in CC that I didn't see last year. Maybe they just got the courage/size to come to dinner (and not be dinner).

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Feeding my fish is my therapy. Only problem is the dog wants to go worse than I do. If she could she would eat all the fish food!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Airborne,

I too agree with the others. Like Cecil says, it is great therapy, especially after a very long commute from work to home.

Sometimes I feel like the little kid who was so ugly his mother had to tie a pork chop around his neck so the dog would play with him.

When I drive in the driveway in the evening, the ducks and chickens come running. They wait at the basement door until I come out, and they happily follow me to their night lockup (and evening snack).

As I walk toward the pond, I can see fish coming like torpedoes from all parts of the pond for their evening snack.

I had a feeder. I gave it to Cecil!

Happy Feeding,
Ken

Oh -- welcome to Pond Boss. Keep coming back, even if it isn't for a snack.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally posted by Catmandoo: "Sometimes I feel like the little kid who was so ugly his mother had to tie a pork chop around his neck so the dog would play with him".

Catmandoo -- That really hurts, I always wondered why they did that, and I thought Spec really loved me.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Cat, now I ate dinner with you, your lovely wife and Mongo. Though not one to judge masculine attractiveness, IMHO you are not that ugly. \:D

I have 2 cheap feeders due to being absentee for the most part. It really pains me to come to the pond and the feeder is jammed, food clogging the down spout or whatever. I have been trying to run 1/4 mixed with 3/16, then 1/4 only and it just doesnt work.
I will now use only 3/16 and toss the 1/4 inch when I am there. I refuse to pay $500 just to feed 1/4". I also have some 3/8 they are eating. Look out big Bluegill.com.
It is so satisfying, especially with clear(3 ft) water after rains. I saw a big bull BG bump a 12" lmb off a pellet today. Sweet!

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
airborne again as we always say it is about goals. I sell feeder so love when folks buy them. However I truely love going with my son and hand feeding. However if you goal is to grow monster bluegill, they prosper with mutilpe feedings. You can go hand feed anytime you want. However most do not want to go out in the rain, family thigns come up so might no make it EVERYday, and doubt most go 3-4 times/day. So again if you enjoy it anytime you go your fish will like you for bringing them some food. BUT if you want to maximize it is not just an absentinee landowner that benefits from having it done every day mutuiple times/day.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
Lunker
True, Greg.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Cat, now I ate dinner with you, your lovely wife and Mongo. Though not one to judge masculine attractiveness, IMHO you are not that ugly. \:D

I have 2 cheap feeders due to being absentee for the most part. It really pains me to come to the pond and the feeder is jammed, food clogging the down spout or whatever. I have been trying to run 1/4 mixed with 3/16, then 1/4 only and it just doesnt work.
I will now use only 3/16 and toss the 1/4 inch when I am there. I refuse to pay $500 just to feed 1/4". I also have some 3/8 they are eating. Look out big Bluegill.com.
It is so satisfying, especially with clear(3 ft) water after rains. I saw a big bull BG bump a 12" lmb off a pellet today. Sweet!

BMstr

I'm looking to add some lower cost feeders with my Texas Hunter model as the anchor...[truth is I can't afford three more of the TH, according to Mrs Hudson]
Any brands you'd recommend me AVOIDING?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Airborne,

I too agree with the others. Like Cecil says, it is great therapy, especially after a very long commute from work to home.

Sometimes I feel like the little kid who was so ugly his mother had to tie a pork chop around his neck so the dog would play with him.

When I drive in the driveway in the evening, the ducks and chickens come running. They wait at the basement door until I come out, and they happily follow me to their night lockup (and evening snack).

As I walk toward the pond, I can see fish coming like torpedoes from all parts of the pond for their evening snack.

I had a feeder. I gave it to Cecil!

Happy Feeding,
Ken

Oh -- welcome to Pond Boss. Keep coming back, even if it isn't for a snack.

Awesome post - sums up my feelings about feeding time too. Thanks Cat, well done!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Doug_Basberg, GDarby, Keith C.
Recent Posts
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by John Fitzgerald - 05/02/24 10:07 PM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 09:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RAH - 05/02/24 08:02 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Boondoggle - 05/02/24 07:29 PM
Is this planktonic algae?
by lafarmpondguy - 05/02/24 07:11 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 05/02/24 04:37 PM
Treating pond water for residential use