Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (jpsdad, Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 699 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've got more and more of them digging holes with their classic chimneys all over the yard. They go down at least 3 feet but maybe deeper as I only had something to stick in the hole that was 3 feet. What's scary is one professor told me they have been known to go down 14 feet! I don't need that in my dikes!

Anyway, it was recommended by a pesticide supplier and I purchased a pesticide called Fire Ant Killer (Acephate). I'm supposed to drop a tablespoon of this mixed with water in the hole and cover it up.

I'm having second thoughts about using it for two reasons:

1.) What if the dog digs it up and ingests it?

2.) I'd like to remove them if possible as I can use them for my taxidermy dioramas. :-) Yeah I know they are edible but some of them are digging into my leach field so...

Anybody know if there is something I can pour in the hole and get them to come out? I'm thinking a mix of water and muriatic acid? If not a safer way to kill them?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/15/09 09:36 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Did an Internet search. Someone said boiling water down the hole will bring them up. I know that would work with me if I was in a hole.

I'll keep you posted. I've got to go boil some water.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
What about plain ole saltwater?Or maybe a cyan pepper solution?Just thinking out loud.
Or maybe dynamite.Its the cureall for everything

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
What about plain ole saltwater?Or maybe a cyan pepper solution?Just thinking out loud.
Or maybe dynamite.Its the cureall for everything

I'm sure dynamite would work but I'm not that desperate yet.

But then again I could use some more ponds...

Can anyone even buy the stuff post 911? I had enough trouble buying Potassium Permanganate!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/15/09 09:35 AM.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
A spoonful or 2 of quicklime or Drano in each hole should work. Both are harmless to the environment, as they quickly break down into calcium and sodium respectively. Muriatic (hydrochloric) and sulphuric acid are also safe in small quantities. I'm betting copper sulphate crystals (as in some root killers) would also work, or at least turn the crawfish a striking azure color. \:D

If there are just a few holes along your levee, any of the above could work. If you have 4-6 holes per square yard like me, you live with them.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Did an Internet search. Someone said boiling water down the hole will bring them up. I know that would work with me if I was in a hole.

You know..........nope can't post that. That'll get moderated for sure.

Reminds me of a story,........nope can't tell that story either. Banned for life if I tell that story.

Speaking of boiling water down a hole........nope, that won't work. Brettski will modify a of me picture to depict that story for sure.

Does anyone remember the time at the 2008 Pond Boss Convention........oh forgot, I swore I'd never tell that story. What happened in Arlington stays in Arlington, blah, blah.

Damn, I got nothing.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

I heard somewhere that raccoons like crayfish. I've got 2 live traps, and a healthy population of reccoons that really, really would like a new home. Just give the nod and they'll be on their way! ;\)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
I know for a fact that Cajuns like crawfish more than racoons and I have about a dozen that I can send you free of charge!

Working to resurrect my 1/2 acre piece of heaven after hurricane Ike took it from fresh water to salt water.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
\:D \:D

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Cecil, look at pouring some liquid laundry soap in the holes. It coats them and they have trouble breathing. They will never make it to the top.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, ain't it always something? Ya spend a hundred bucks for a premit to take out two lousy GBH that ya can't hit and are going to kill more craws than you with all your high tech poison and ol farmer cures (I've tried the boiling water trick on my trailer drain and it is room temp by the time it gets to the clog). Ya try to pretty up the ditch and almost cause a Downy drain panic. Ya drop one male YP into a pond of beauties and it clones itself twice. Seriously, DD1 seems to have a good degree believability. Once again as with the boiling water treatment, won't the soap get diluted by the time it gets to em? This may be crazy but I'm sure your accustomed to that coming from me. How bout getting several mouse traps and place em around the chimneys and cover all with a 5 gal bucket? It sure works with keeping the cat off my bed. Sorry 2catmom, I'm sure you're cringing. Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
D
DJT Offline
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tie a chunk of uncooked bacon to a string and drop in in the hole. Wait for the crawdad to grab hold of it then slowly pull it to the surface then grab'em. Don't be distracted by the sounds of your neighbors pointing and laughing.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: DJT
Tie a chunk of uncooked bacon to a string and drop in in the hole. Wait for the crawdad to grab hold of it then slowly pull it to the surface then grab'em. Don't be distracted by the sounds of your neighbors pointing and laughing.

Raw liver works pretty well too. I can't tell you how many I caught in Wi. using liver on a jighead. But, it was in a lake and I was sight fishing with a flashlight.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil:

I heard somewhere that raccoons like crayfish. I've got 2 live traps, and a healthy population of reccoons that really, really would like a new home. Just give the nod and they'll be on their way! ;\)

Yeah that's all I need is raccoons digging up the yard for the crayfish. \:o

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Cecil, ain't it always something? Ya spend a hundred bucks for a premit to take out two lousy GBH that ya can't hit and are going to kill more craws than you with all your high tech poison and ol farmer cures (I've tried the boiling water trick on my trailer drain and it is room temp by the time it gets to the clog). Ya try to pretty up the ditch and almost cause a Downy drain panic. Ya drop one male YP into a pond of beauties and it clones itself twice. Seriously, DD1 seems to have a good degree believability. Once again as with the boiling water treatment, won't the soap get diluted by the time it gets to em? This may be crazy but I'm sure your accustomed to that coming from me. How bout getting several mouse traps and place em around the chimneys and cover all with a 5 gal bucket? It sure works with keeping the cat off my bed. Sorry 2catmom, I'm sure you're cringing. Bob-O

You're spot on Bob! Not only is it always something but I'm probably to blame for it all. I killed off some cats last year that were breeding and pi**ing on the deck at night driving the dog bonkers and waking us up, and guess what happened? The chipmunk population went crazy and started borrowing the heck out of the garden!

I put a pond in and I blame the herons for coming to dine! And last but not least I put an open ditch in for my trout pond overflow and it brings the crayfish onto the property from the highway ditch. I'm going to kill as many of these critters as possible and make the ditch a pipe! The ditch is hydrating the ground near it which gives them a corridor to move up in.

We are a peculiar species aren't we? We manipulate nature and we blame nature if things don't go as planned!

Oh btw, I dumped a gallon of boiling water down a 3 foot hole. Nothing came out.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/17/09 11:13 AM.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I agree with DJT the bacon method works well.

Get out and fish.
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
When I first read this post I thought that Cecil was just showing off his vocabulary, terrestrial? Of course they are, I have never seen one flying. Avian Crawdadus Major. Where does E.T. come into this conversation also?
But luckily I did some research before I put my foot in my mouth.
Four hundred different types of North American crawdads! Some even considered endangered. You learn something everyday.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: P. Buckley
When I first read this post I thought that Cecil was just showing off his vocabulary, terrestrial? Of course they are, I have never seen one flying. Avian Crawdadus Major. Where does E.T. come into this conversation also?
But luckily I did some research before I put my foot in my mouth.
Four hundred different types of North American crawdads! Some even considered endangered. You learn something everyday.

P.B. I tried to impress someone with my vocabulary once and I got laughed at. I heard Ted Koppel on his Nightly News program say, "I really can't say with any specificity." Wow that sounded really impressive so I memorized it! A few weeks later the wife and I were at parent teacher conferences for my nephew who we were taking care of at the time. I wanted to sound really smart so when one of the teachers asked me a question about my nephew and I didn't know the answer I said, " I really can't say with any specificity." The wife then said, "Cecil heard that on Ted Koppel's nightly news and he's trying to impress you! Needless to say it got some laughs and the wife got a dirty look. I was soooo embarassed!

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
as kids we used to put some fish guts into a fishing net and just submerge it in the water. Come by after dark and it'll be littered with crawfish gorging themselves. Easy way to knock off dozens at a time.
Also I catch quite a lot of crawfish in the cylindrical style minnow traps loaded with some scraps of meat or again, fish entrails. Using these methods you can catch more than one at a time and you really dont have to do much.

Words have the power to both destroy and heal, when words are both true and kind they can change our world...
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Cecil, - They hate Tequila, 1 short shot down each hole will bring them topside at a staggering pace.

Put them in the refrigerator until you have collected a couple dozen. Boil them in orange juice and grenadine syrup. You will have a nice Tequila Crayfish Sunrise, mmmmmm!

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: maashkinoozhe
as kids we used to put some fish guts into a fishing net and just submerge it in the water. Come by after dark and it'll be littered with crawfish gorging themselves. Easy way to knock off dozens at a time.
Also I catch quite a lot of crawfish in the cylindrical style minnow traps loaded with some scraps of meat or again, fish entrails. Using these methods you can catch more than one at a time and you really dont have to do much.

Not sure if the would work on dry land though.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
why not dig a small hole near some burrows and a plastic funnel stomped into it? Smear/leave some bacon on the funnel to attract them and when they walk onto the plastic gravity and lack of footing will plop them into the pit underneath. As long as the funnel was flush around the hole they shouldn't be able to escape?
Just trying to throw out some ideas that don't involve eliminating going hole to hole

Words have the power to both destroy and heal, when words are both true and kind they can change our world...
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks I appreciate your ideas and it might work. However I'm not sure if I want to dig too many holes. I've got at least 25 crayfish holes in the yard now.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/17/09 07:16 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I still think you need some extra raccoons!

Seriously tho, what about pouring some rock salt down the hole? I have no idea what it'll do, but I don't know if they like salt water or not.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I think I'm going with the drano idea. \:o

Easily available and i can't imagine them surviving that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass