Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,760
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,501
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
8 members (bcraley, Fishingadventure, Bill Cody, DrewSh, catscratch, esshup, Brad346, Joe7328), 941 guests, and 187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16128 12/09/06 08:47 AM
K
Kep Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have a new 3/4-1 acre pond. I really want to include black crappie in my stocking. I've been told by some folks that it won't work. Others have said that I can have success provided I practice good pond management. Any success stories from anyone?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My two favorite ponds to fish are 2.5 and 3.5 acres. Both have black crappie. The larger pond has always had fairly heavy pressure and the crappie regularly grow to 14 inches. There is also a high density LMB population that keeps the YOY BC culled.

The smaller pond's crappie stunted quickly and it's taken three years of harvest pressure to bring the crappie from 8 inches up to an acceptable size of 10 inches for good eating.

For some reason we've found the crappie to be really easy to trap, which is another method of keeping population density down.

You said the key words, that you "really want" black crappie in your pond. If that is the case I think you should plan on stocking them, and plan on managing them. I think you'll do fine.

Welcome to the forum, Kep.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Kep welcome to the PB forum.

You said " I really want to include black crappie in my stocking."

What is the rest of the plan and your goals for the pond including what part of the country (that often makes a difference)?

Here is a list of several outstanding discussions on Crappie ponds. You will then understand the problem and be better able to manage whatever you decide to do.

http://www.pondboss.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000461

K
Kep Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ewest and Bruce,
Thanks for your replies. In reference to your question Ewest, in addition to black crappie, I plan to stock LMB, bluegill, redear, and FHM. I reside in south Louisiana. The deepest part of my pond will hold 8' of water.

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Before I knew any better I put BC in my 1/2 acre pond. They have reproduced very well and I have to constantly trap them out to keep them under control. That seems to work but I have to keep at it. I don't very often catch a big one. I catch about 1 large one a year. Usually kind of skinny. Might even be the only one in there since I always let him go. Last year I caught one about 12 inches.

Gotta get back to fishin!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
bz, do you have very many LMB in this pond? I'm trying to figure out why BC do so poorly many times, but every once in a while do better. I've always assumed that it was LMB pressure.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Here are some facts about black crappie. These facts are what make them tough to manage in small waters.
First, they spawn earlier in the spring than other warm water fish. Next, their babies eat other fish's babies. Next, black crappie are inconsistent spawners, so you can't predict if and when they have babies. Toss in the fact that they are predators with medium-sized mouths and you have a combination for an unpredictable fish not large enough to eat each other, but plenty large enough mouths to eat lots of babies. This is a formula for overpopulation and diminished growth. It's not a matter of "if", but more "when?" Crappie are best suited in a diverse environment of larger water.
When someone tells me they want crappie, it usually means they want a fish to eat. Bluegill are a viable substitute. Consider them. You can grow many more, and they can push beyond a pound.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kep:
I have a new 3/4-1 acre pond. I really want to include black crappie in my stocking. I've been told by some folks that it won't work. Others have said that I can have success provided I practice good pond management. Any success stories from anyone?
I appreciate your dilemma. They're a great panfish and fun to catch on light tackle. They're also reliable in winter and early spring when nothing else bites.

I have fished many ponds that contained many stunted BC and BG. I have also fished seveal ponds that contained a better size distribution of W&BC and and plenty of nice BG as well. The better ponds had some things in common. That would be lots of weeds (to shelter baby BG and produce forage species), lots of larger LMB (to predate the medium size W&BC), and larger size ponds seem to be the main factors.

I have a theory that W&BC spawning is triggered by rising water or large amounts of "strange" water flowing into the pond roughly around spawning time.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have permission to fish 2 local ponds with crappie. Both are no bigger than 1/2 acre.

In one pond, the crappie we have caught were 8-10" range, but there were not many caught-however a few years ago someone threw in a couple of flathead catfish in the pond and they just about cleaned out the pond so for a while we never caught many fish.

In the other pond, you can catch crappie 6-8" long all day long with a few bass and bream as well.

I really believe if you keep all the crappie you catch and fish on a consistant basis instead of once or twice a year, you have a better chance of keeping crappie under control.

I have a 1/2 acre pond where I threw crappie in this year. I don't know exactly how the pond was stocked but it seems like the majority of what has been caught is bream. If the crappie take this pond over, I'm going to throw in a Hybrid Striped Bass or 2. If this fails, I've got 2 other ponds to fall back on.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
turkeyfoot - why have you decided "to throw in a HSB or 2" instead of adding more LMB?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have not added any HSB. I am still in the process in transporting crappie (45 have been thrown in this year and I'll throw in 10-15 more next year) and LMB. IF the crappie appear to have taken over the pond, then I'll look into HSB.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have though about this in the past also and will give another perspective although I have no experience. I would stock your forage base(fat heads,threadfin,crayfish,frogs(not bullfrogs)) and make sure you have enough breeding and hiding places for all to thrive. Id make sure you have plenty of vegitation in the pond, crappie love reeds. This will provide an area for other insects and food to thrive. Some really good rocky areas and piles for the dads. Feed them regularly. then the following spring stock your crappie but under stock them. The following spring(year2) Id stock a few small 6" albino channel cats(maybe 3-4 fish). When you go out to feed your fish you will be able to easily see your cats comming up to feed and be able to count how many and control through fishing. Id errect a large hanging basket over deep water and have it shaded very well. Now when you start catching small crappie you can throw them in the basket. Flys and bug will lay their eggs and the larva will fall through the basket into the water. That way when you remove small crappie that no one wants to eat they will not go to waste, catch all the little ones you can. To me any predators will help the crappie to make quick work of the forage so other than the albino cats i would not add anything. After another 4-5 years you can remove the catfish as you like pretty easily and you should get a few $$$ for them also.

B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Bruce, sorry I didn't see your question until now. My pond is 1/2 acre and I have six LMB in it. They were stocked two years ago with sizes ranging from 6 to 10 inches. I know the bass have reproduced but the young are still very small. I'm hoping my bass will one day control the BC.

Robbor, I use my spare BC just as you say. I trap them and hang them in a basket. They are converted into fish food within several days.

Gotta get back to fishin!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: bz
Bruce, sorry I didn't see your question until now. My pond is 1/2 acre and I have six LMB in it. They were stocked two years ago with sizes ranging from 6 to 10 inches. I know the bass have reproduced but the young are still very small. I'm hoping my bass will one day control the BC.

Robbor, I use my spare BC just as you say. I trap them and hang them in a basket. They are converted into fish food within several days.

Do you happen to have an update on your pond and BC.

Thanks

K
K
Bruce,what kind of trap do you use to catch croppie?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many LMB to remove?
by catscratch - 04/17/24 08:40 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:28 PM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?
by esshup - 04/17/24 08:21 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by DrewSh - 04/17/24 03:58 PM