Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy
18,514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,253
Members18,515
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,569
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, FishinRod, Fishingadventure, KiwiGuy, teehjaeh57, phinfan, Boondoggle, x101airborne, lafarmpondguy), 814 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hi all,

This is the first year of my pond and I have the grass growing on the shore and out to about 2 feet deep.

It seems tough and pretty hearty. The field where I dug the pond used to have standing water part of the year and I am wondering if this is left over from then. What is it and should I worry about it taking over my shoreline?

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

Lunker
Lunker
Hi Coach B:
I don't know what it is, but someone else will. I dug out a bunch of grass yesterday that was growing in my sand (buffer zone) around my plants yesterday, and was it ever tough to get out, I don't know what it was, but it was purple at the very base of it. I think if I waited much longer it would have been really impossible. I planted some annual rye grass last year to hold the eroded/reclaimed sand in place while my plants got established, and that funky grass must have either (1) been in the seed mixture, or (2) been there all along, only smaller.

HUSBAND AND CAT MISSING -$100 REWARD FOR THE CAT!
I subscribe too, but tried and failed at the fish logo.
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
that is exactly my situation. It does have a purple to redish part at the base. I also planted annual rye in the area. mine is growing in two feet of water as well, which makes me think it was from the previous wetland.

Brian
Retired Coach

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Looks like some sort of spike rush, but I really don't know!

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I am going to try to post a close up.

Brian
Retired Coach

Lunker
Lunker
Coach B:
The roots of the grass I got out were quite long and thin in texture, but thick in clumps, had to really dig deep to get it out.
Loosening the soil and trying to pull it out did not work. It was growing into the roots of other good plants that I planted, I had to dig some up, get it out, and replant the plants. Surely, it was a great example of something invasive, and how plants prevent erosion. No chance here to use a chemical as other good plants would be killed in the process. You can probably use a herbicide on yours in your situation.

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Here is a better picture of the grass. It has a strong root base that is clumped. for the little that we had, it had lots of roots.

here is a picture from May of last year in the same area before we dug the pond. I think the large clumps of grass are the same.

Here is a picture of the same area in mid summer. I think the tall grass is the same, but I don't know.

I hope that helps with identifying.

Brian
Retired Coach

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
opps!! messed up on the mid summer picture. here it is

Brian
Retired Coach

T
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
T
It looks kind of like Reeds Canary Grass.(Phalaris arundinacea L.) It was actually introduced here in Iowa by the NRCS in CRP contracts, and it was later determined to be too agressive as it choked out the native grasses. Another transplant gone bad! That would be my best guess though

Fisheries Biologist
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks

"Success is often overlooked because it dresses up in overalls and disguises itself as work."
Lunker
Lunker
Brian:
I have the striped version of Reed Canary Grass (Ribbon Grass), growing elsewhere, I am going to dig it out, will check and see if the root system is the same as the green grass. I would get rid of it ASAP.

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
okay, if it is canary grass, how to I get rid of it? it is currently right on the edge of my summer shoreline. If I go and dig it out, I will destroy the edge of the pond. I like the way it looks in the summer, is there a way to control and tame it? It looks like it would be a good barrier to keep geese away.

Brian
Retired Coach

Lunker
Lunker
I can't answer that question, just think it might be invasive, if it is it will not be good.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Glyphosphate (same active ingredient in Roundup) will kill pretty much everything green and leafy. There are various glyphosphate labelled for aquatic use, I think the main difference in the aquatic types is the surfactant used.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
T
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
T
Ok so I did alittle research on the control of Reeds Canarygrass if that is what it actually is. I have listed the suggested mechanical/chemical methods that could work. Ryan was right on with the Glyphosate. I also think that this would make a good barrier for geese, as they usually don't like to walk to far in anything thick and over their heads.

Mechanical
Consecutive annual burns spring or fall
Mowing mid-June and October to reduce seed and encourage native species
Frequent cultivation followed by fall seeding

Chemical
Application of glyphosate (Rodeo)
Preliminary research indicates that fall chemical application may be most effective

Here is the website I got this info from, there is more on there.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialplants/grasses/reedcanarygrass.html

Fisheries Biologist

"Success is often overlooked because it dresses up in overalls and disguises itself as work."
Lunker
Lunker
Coach B:
Don't know where you are but there is a Michigan Lakes & Streams conference this Friday and Saturday at Houghton Lake.
JF New Co. usually has a booth there-they are on the west side of the state near Muskegon, they specialize in lots of plants, and aquatic restorations. We met the rep there last year, and although he is not with them anymore and in a different field, we are going up early to meet the DNR people and he is supposed to meet us.
Some grasses that they suggested to me are: Prarie Cord Grass, Soft Rush, and Brown Fox Sedge. You can call them and get a catalog mailed to you: Ask for Jason, 574-586-3689 or try email: sales@jfnew.com.
I got an e-mail from the other guy last year that said DO NOT PLANT THE REED CANARY GRASS (in the same tone of "Do Not Seek The Treasure" in Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
TJ, Thanks for the info and links. My concern is always spraying around the pond. It looks like I have to get it out of there. What is the best around water and is strong enough to get this? It seems awfully tough. We tried to pull some, and it wouldn't budge.

2catmom, I would love to make it there, but with the 80 degree temps, we will spend all weekend working on plantings around the pond. I am just South of you off of us 23 bu about 6 miles.

I will call and request a catalog. We have also started to work with a place called Grass Roots Nursery. I thought about taking a clump down to them and letting them look at it. Based on what I have read, I am pretty sure it is Canary Grass. Just don't know if it is native or not. It sounds like it doesn't matter either way.

Brian
Retired Coach

T
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
T
I think it would be best to get it out. It is very strong! It actually works by choking out other plants via an extensive underground rooting system. I know when I worked for the NRCS we actually planted a plot of live willows within them on the streambank. The willows choke them out pretty quickly, but this will also hinder any fishing access for you in these spots. I am not sure what herbicide works well for them besides the glyphosphate...Maybe someone else knows?

Fisheries Biologist

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Why is it a problem? Looks like a good plant to keep down shore erosion and I could see fish spawning around it.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
That was my initial thought. but people have said that it will spread around the pond and choke out anything else we plant. I do like the way it looks. If I get feedback that says I can control its locations, I would love to keep it. It holds the shoreline very well. Does anyone have a case of controling it?

Brian
Retired Coach

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
2catmom:

My sister works @ JFNew in Walkerton, IN, that's where you are calling when you call 574-586-.... the main switchboard # is 574-586-3400.

The nursery is at the most 6 miles North of my place, and the office is another mile and a half away.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:52 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by KiwiGuy - 05/04/24 11:49 PM
My First
by FishinRod - 05/04/24 11:48 PM