Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,126
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,421
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
17 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 889 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160018 04/21/09 04:25 PM
B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
For those of you who turn your aerators off for the winter... When is the best time to start em back up in the spring? Is it water temp, air temp, date, pre-spawn, post-spawn or a combination. I've heard that there is no benefit from turning them on too early but when is the time right?

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
Blaine #160026 04/21/09 05:22 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Blaine this is a great question of which I probably dont have a great answer but here is my take. In small ponds aeration can change things quickly as they usually have more turn (lift)capability than larger lake systems.So in smaller ponds 3 acres or less that have systems that are sized to lift at least once per day just start them up prior to stratification and prior to oxygen demand out stripping supply. This will vary from pond to pond even within the same area and can vary from the same pond year to year.In central N Indiana you are probably having the same temperature swings we are and have more natural circulation than most aeration system could provide.I started mine up a week ago when it was 70F and currently have them shut down. On the larger ponds we service I have about half of them running and the remainder will get turned on next week.Normally you are safe in northern Ohio and Indiana to start them mid April. If I see prolonged night temps predicted in the low 30's and less I turn them off until I have 40F plus nights.DO levels should be very high with all this wind and cold water and demand should be low. Im guessing most DO levels here 10-12 ppm but I have not checked.and yours are probably high also. Pehaps Cecil has checked his readings.If you have only been aerating for a season or two and have a pond that is 8-10 years and older I would do a slow startup for the next few seasons, Keeping in mind that some systems are lifting a lot of water and some very little plays a huge role in answering this question too.

B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks Ted. My pond is 2.5 acres and starting it's 3rd summer. I have a Vertex Air2 system w/one XL and one co-station. I probably have little O2 demand due to the ponds youth but was convinced that aeration was a very good thing.

I have read that aeration helps in the suppression of FA. Is this true? If so how does it work? I aerated all last season and had a terrible FA outbreak. It looks like it is gonna happen again this year. I am sure that I have had some benefits but just have'nt seen any. Any words of advice in getting maximum benefit from my Vertex Air2?

Blaine #160037 04/21/09 07:36 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Blaine:

I'm seeing algae forming at the edges of the pond already in the warmer water. I think you might have a handle on the algae problem already ;), this year will be interesting!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #160118 04/22/09 07:06 AM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Aeration (vertical circulation)supplies oxygen to the bottom of your pond and the entire water column by exposing the bottom water to the approx 21% oxygen in the atmosphere. This creates a favorable enviroment for natural occuring "aerobic" bacteria.Nutrients are absorbed (oxidized,recycled,precipitated rendered unavailable)by bacteria and supposedly not available in the water column for FA.ORP or average oxidation-reduction potential goes from a negative to a positive preventing phosphorus "recycling.However it does not take much available phosphorus in the water column to encourage algae.Biology majors chime in.I normally state that proper aeration can "have a profound effect at reduction" of FA but see claims of elimination and it just does not (can not) from a chemistry reaction standpoint work that way (some Aeration Pros may argue that statement)You would not want your nutrients so low as to not have plant life in a healthy fishery but I understand the frustration with FA. This time of year it is probably "spirogyra"Since you are aerating consider keeping your water dyed but realize that plankton and other positive plantlife can be negatively affected with dyes but since FA reduction is high on the list it is a planned approach. If this method has come up short already investigate where your phos load is coming from. Runoff, heavy fish load,(grass carp fertilizing the water)Have the water tested for total and ortho phos to see what your inventory is. It can be a delicate balance between enough phos for wanted plankton that goes to unwanted FA Your system seems proper but I wouldnt mind seeing the lifting specs and aerial placement of diffusers.If I sold you this system let me know and Ill dig thru the files.I dont remember it however. If you have an area of low lift, nutrients can be put in the water column that become available.Be sure the membranes get flexed on a regular basis and be sure the draft tube inside the air filter is completely open.Gradual slopes 4:1 // 6:1 can also be a challange as you will always have a lot of soil exposed to sunlight even with UV inhibitors.

B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ted, your detailed response is very much appreciated. I unfortunately did not purchase my Vertex system through you as I was referred to a local dealer by Sue Cruz. Something about protected dealer territories (I guess that I can appreciate that). If you don't mind my asking for the free advice, I have pasted a picture below of my pond. I don't have an aerial view, Google maps has not updated my property since the pond was built. You can see the boils. The nearest is the XL in 13' of water (deepest). FA grows around the entire perimeter evenly and abundantly.

I have no grass carp, I do not fertilize, I don't think that my fish load is that heavy and my slopes are 3:1. I do have farm field runoff but it has to travel a distance of 600-700' over unfertilized soil planted with warm season grasses. I'm considering tilapia but I think that I am getting way more than my fair share of FA.

What is your opinion of the diffuser placement in the picture? The original recommendation was for two co-stations. I asked for the XL for the wide part of the pond. Thanks for you input.

By the way, this picture was taken after battling FA all summer long and finally taking back control.

Last edited by Blaine; 04/22/09 12:35 PM.

Blaine #160150 04/22/09 01:13 PM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
May I say, Blaine, that pond settng is just freaking gorgeous.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
May I say, Blaine, that pond settng is just freaking gorgeous.

"

B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks guys, I'm pretty proud of what my wife and I have created.

Blaine #160160 04/22/09 03:29 PM
B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
By the way, some simple measurements are 225' across dam then tapers for 565' down to a 30' width at inlet. Picture taken while standing on dam.

Blaine #160178 04/22/09 06:40 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Blaine if you will PM me this location I may have some aerials that will show it.Im suspect that you have some water that is not being lifted enough with the length being what it is. Im somewhat suspect of the leaves being "un"decomposed and underdecomposed and perhaps being a nutrient source and a "demand" on your oxygen.I would really like to see this from the air. Also you mention the XL is in 13 ft, what depth is the other CoActive placed in and what is your pressure reading?Do you have a calculation sheet on turnovers, if not I we'll get you one so youll have it for your records.They are a great information tool to have.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Ted Lea:

There are a couple of reasons that aeration prevents FA growth. For one it is a physical barrier to FA forming. FA is a colony of small photosynthetic plankton that recruits other zooplankton and protozoa as it grows (FA provides food and cover). Simply turning the water column over physically inhibits FA forming and expanding. This is a smaller factor, but it contributes. Physical barriers are hard to overcome especially in the microscopic world of atoms and plankton.

Also increased decomposition of organic matter (via high DO environment) recruits nutrient scavenging organisms that will eliminate phosphorus (among other nutrients in the pond). By increasing the DO the environment favors aerobic decomposition that in turn reduces the amount of dissolved P in the water. As more and more decompsition occurs the aerobic organisms thrive and starve the FA its needed organic material. This is the main reason why aeration really limits FA.

Finally I saw this somewhere else:

"Aeration also helps prevent the release of phosphorus from sediments. This limits algae growth and reduces the amount of plant material which will ultimately die and decompose."

Source

I do not know the exact mechanism that drives this last one, but I'll take the Aggies word for it.

I hope this helps.

B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Ted,
I sent the L&L coordinates in a PM. The co-station is in approx. 8' of water. The pressure reading is 9 psi with the valve for the co-station 1/3 closed. 100' of weighted tubing for the co and 200' for the XL.

A turnover calculation sheet? Never heard of such a thing but sounds interesting. There is a pond about 1 mile from my house with an almost identicle setting, only no aeration or FA.

I am sure that your suspicions are correct concerning the leaves. I do have an overhead view pasted on a word document but was unable to upload on photobucket. Probably due to the format. I could email it to you if you cant find my pond due to outdated photos. Thanks Ted and everybody else with input.

B
Blaine Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Black Bass,

Your "source" article was very good, thanks for sharing that. There was some fundamental conflict to aeration theory found in this forum but certainly was informative. I will now give more thought into aerating year round.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:05 AM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday