Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Reno Guerra, ArkieJig, buzzdpm), 1,030 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#158650 04/14/09 11:54 AM
C
cougar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Besides keeping the shores of your pond/lake neatly maintained/groomed/mowed, any other ideas in keeping cottonmouth numbers to a minimum or preferably nonexistent?

My pond will be by my house, so I thought maybe a cat or two would help....don't want dogs because they bark at deer....

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
You might try some guienaas. I know that the rattlesnakes don't care to much for them and they keep ticks away as well.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
There are snake traps on the market, but Im not sure how well they work.

Get out and fish.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I've never seen a cottonmouth problem at ponds. Maybe they're there, but too shy to show themselves.

The watersnakes can get overly plentiful, but they're harmless. Other than shooting them, I don't have a solution. Maybe king snakes would do the trick.

Edit:

Cats are poor to useless at snake control. Chickens will taddle tale on them, but won't kill the big ones. As someone said, guinea fowl are excellent at killing or running off all snakes, but they have noise and poop problems. I rather live with an occasional snake than all that noise and mess.

Last edited by bobad; 04/14/09 01:13 PM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
King Snakes work to some degree as they have a natural immunity to most venomous snakes and prey on other snakes.

Keeping one there may prove difficult though. I found a 5 foot one in the barn next to my pond and shortly thereafter found 13 snake eggs. I was able to hatch 3 of them out and ID them as King Snakes. They went right back to the pond and barn. I have only seen one copperhead on my property in the last 3 years. Haven't seen any since releasing the King snakes.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
C
cougar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
guineas.......that's interesting.........they are from africa where there are numerous snakes

C
cougar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
bobad.....it surprises me that youhaven't seen many cottonmouths in ponds down in bayou country

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I know you said you did not want dogs, but I have a JackRussell Terrier and she kills anything and everything smaller than she is from snakes to birds and moles. She doesn't chase the deer, but does bark at 'em. Guess you have to weight your options and decide what you can live with and what you would rather live without.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Keep at 12 gauge handy. That and keeping the shores clean (like you said) will go a long way.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: cougar
bobad.....it surprises me that youhaven't seen many cottonmouths in ponds down in bayou country

Seen only 1 cottonmouth on my land since I bought it in 2000. I sent her on her way. I have several kings I see regularly, so her survival is not assured.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I've found that the more you are around your pond, working, making noise etc. the less snakes you see. Particularly the cottonmouth, as bobad said is prety shy. The northern watersnakes can be pretty feisty. Seven grandkids, so any snake is in imminent danger when I'm there.

Last edited by burgermeister; 04/14/09 06:02 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It's been a long time since I've seen an aggressive water snake.

Our snake of the day is usually a rattler. In 25 years of owning the place, I've only seen 2 really upset aggressive ones. They didn't get to pass on any bad genes. Unless they are around the house, barn, shades or ponds I don't mess with them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am a fan of guineas...

Lunker
Lunker
Lucky Guineas.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My neighbor had Guineas and I was really happy when they got rid of them. During deer season, I couldn't hear the deer walking thru the woods, they are that noisy! I had a stand approx. 300 Yds from the Guineas tho.

They got rid of them because they wanted some peace and quiet at the house, they orig. were the kids 4-H project.

Hogs will eat snakes as well, but I think they will do more damage than good.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
cougar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
bobad you are a indeed a non-hypocrite when it comes to conservation....I can't say the same for myself when it comes to cottonmouths

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Okay guys, just a few days ago we were talking about snakes and dogs. Well check out the pictures and let me know, my backyard biologist instincts tell me water moccasin, doesn’t have the markings of a copperhead. First poisonous snake I have seen in my yard since I moved out here in 1997. Despite the pellet holes, I do believe the dog got it first! So there you go cougar, Jack Russell Terrier, killing machine. You actual biologists can chime in and line me out. Sorry for the poor quality pics, hard to hold a deadly predator in your hands and a camera!
http://picasaweb.google.com/saroberts02/SnakePics41709?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ60-5uFgJDksgE#

L
Fingerling
Fingerling
L
Moth balls

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
bobad you are a indeed a non-hypocrite when it comes to conservation....I can't say the same for myself when it comes to cottonmouths

Not really. Lucky for that moccasin she wasn't on my hit list. I have 1 firm rule about critters. I don't allow myself to arbitrarily kill any animal. I must think carefully and have a very good reason for doing so. If they're dangerous, too numerous, or delicious, their in grave danger. My current hit list is the diamondback water snake, brown water snake, and red ear turtle. All are too numerous. I would rather relocate them, but it's too hard to do.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Yep, Cottonmouth moccasin. The only viper in the USA that remotely looks like that is the copperhead, and they have very distinctive markings.

C
cougar Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
agreed, definitely a cottonmouth.

Strizzo, could a jack russell be trained to NOT bark at deer?

Landowner, my wife suggested mothballs also, but I figured that was just an ole wives' tale....worth a try regardless, but, out of curiousity, is there any scientific explanoation to those repelling snakes?

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: bobad

Not really. Lucky for that moccasin she wasn't on my hit list. I have 1 firm rule about critters. I don't allow myself to arbitrarily kill any animal. I must think carefully and have a very good reason for doing so. If they're dangerous, too numerous, or delicious, their in grave danger. My current hit list is the diamondback water snake, brown water snake, and red ear turtle. All are too numerous. I would rather relocate them, but it's too hard to do.

I broke my rule Saturday and killed a 5' DB watersnake..it was way too aggressive and just would not leave..when I was inspecting the watersnake I looked up and had a 6' rat snake in the tree limb above me..I poked it with the end of a rake and it basically turned around and said.."don't poke me"

"Is the Poop-Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters, 1982

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Cougar, I do not know if you can train JRT not to bark at deer, they are very smart dogs. There are anti-bark collars, shock collars(like for bird dogs, hit them when they do bark at deer), keep the dog inside at night? Ours stays outside all day and comes in at dark and she sleeps in a pet carrier.

T
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: Sgt911
 Originally Posted By: bobad

I broke my rule Saturday and killed a 5' DB watersnake..it was way too aggressive and just would not leave..when I was inspecting the watersnake I looked up and had a 6' rat snake in the tree limb above me..I poked it with the end of a rake and it basically turned around and said.."don't poke me"

I live in Iowa where we really dont have snakes, and I am in the process of moving to Mississippi. They didn't mention anything in the brochures about snakes living in trees!!

Fisheries Biologist
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks

"Success is often overlooked because it dresses up in overalls and disguises itself as work."
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Hey Tyler.

This is what you can look forward to when you are on the front of the electrofishing boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_UnV3RbCtg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM