Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,980
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, gehajake, Fishingadventure, MOFishermen, FireIsHot, anthropic), 1,156 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
- if you have any pics I'd love to see them!

Here are a few of the bird pics that my wife has taken.

Eddie
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think the legs are set too far forward for a heron, more like a shorebird, but the beak sure says fish catcher! I'll defer to the experts.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #158553 04/13/09 10:00 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Eddie great photos, but you need to id them for us bird challenged folk, i knew 4 for sure.

The picture I put up is a small bird, I looked it up last year but I can't remember.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
It's a species of sandpiper... Probably a Spotted Sandpiper, Actitis macularia. That long beak is not for fishing eating but rather is used to probe soft wet soil for invertebrates which makes up the bulk of it's diet. A very neat bird!

Spotted Sandpiper

Also the only "shore bird" in that family that nests in the United States. Make him or her happy and they may just make some babies on your place!

Last edited by CJBS2003; 04/13/09 10:05 PM.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
It looks like you nailed it CJ, the bird was persistent running around on the floating island.

Do you pull this info off the top of your head, or do you have volumes of wildlife books surrounding your computer.
I don't know how you do it. ;\)

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
- if you have any pics I'd love to see them!

Here are a few of the bird pics that my wife has taken.

Eddie
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

N Cardinal
Red Bellied Woodpecker or Flicker
Downy or Hairy Woodpecker
Cedar Waxwing [Yeah!]
Scarlet Tanager or Western Tanager?
No idea
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Goldfinch
Indigo Bunting

How'd I do?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Shooot - SUMMER Tanager!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good job CJ! Looks like the non-breeding plumage.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #158562 04/13/09 10:33 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Whats the one I missed? Can't think of anything without cheating in my birding book...and I don't want to!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E

N Cardinal
Red Bellied Woodpecker or Flicker
Downy or Hairy Woodpecker
Cedar Waxwing [Yeah!]
Scarlet Tanager or Western Tanager?
No idea
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Goldfinch
Indigo Bunting

How'd I do?

The Tanager is a Summer Tanager. It is the bird that got Steph interested in bird watching and identification. She saw it and realized that it wasn't a cardinal. She saw the gray colored beak and got to wondering about it. Once she got it in her head, there was no stopping her. She bought several books and went from one discovery to dozens of them!!!

The one you can't identify is an immature Blue Grosbeak. It's the only picture of one that she's gotten so far, and we rarely see them. She was pretty sure it was a blue grosbeak, but posted it on a bird forum to be sure.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Brettski, nice peaceful video, thanks for sharing.

Lunker
Lunker
We have some killer conservation vibes going in this thread! Thoreau, Whittier and Muir and smiling somewhere.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
We have some killer conservation vibes going in this thread! Thoreau, Whittier and Muir and smiling somewhere.

Teehjaeh,

Cedar waxwing are among the most beautiful of birds, but you don't want them to visit your fruit trees. They nip off the blooms, and carry plant disease.

My biggest birding thrill was a pair of night hawks (in the nightjar/whipporwill family). Every day at about dark, the male would climb and dive, making a loud, eerie booming sound with his fluttering wings. That's to impress lady nighthawks and scare off rival males. I found their nest on bare ground, and had to be careful not to run over it with the dozer.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
It looks like you nailed it CJ, the bird was persistent running around on the floating island.

Do you pull this info off the top of your head, or do you have volumes of wildlife books surrounding your computer.
I don't know how you do it. ;\)

I have a minor in wildlife and fisheries science. I had to take classes, such as:

W F S 406 Ornithology Laboratory (1) Laboratory and field identification of Pennsylvania birds, avian ecology and behavior, field survey techniques. (Had to be able to identify every bird found in Pennsylvania by their common and scientific name by sight and sound)

W F S 407 Ornithology (3) Introduction to the biology, ecology, adaptations, and conservation of birds. I got an A in both classes... It was a lot of memorization. Most of the scientific names I have forgotten do to a lack of use, but I remember most of the other stuff.

Other classes I took:

W F S 209 (GN) Wildlife and Fisheries Conservation (3) Survey of current and historical issues in wildlife and fisheries conservation; emphasis on vertebrate biodiversity, habitat management and protection, and populations.

W F S 310 Wildlife and Fisheries Measurements (3) Introduction to field and laboratory approaches for collecting, analyzing, and communicating data regarding wildlife and fish populations and their habitats.

W F S 408 Mammalogy (3) Identification, systematics, characteristics, adaptations, ecology, behavior, natural history and conservation, and socio-economic aspects of mammals.

W F S 409 Mammalogy Laboratory (1) Laboratory and field identification of mammals, ecology and behavior of mammals, field survey techniques.

W F S 410 General Fishery Science (3) Introduction to the study, management, and uses of fish populations; methods of investigation, culture, and harvest of fishes.

W F S 422 Ecology of Fishes (3) Role of fishes in aquatic communities and general ecosystems. Environmental factors influencing fish as individuals, populations, and communities.

W F S 430 (FOR 430) Conservation Biology (3) The application of biological principles to issues in the conservation of biodiversity.

W F S 450 (E R M 450) Wetland Conservation (3) Wetland types, classification, functions and values; hydrology, soils, and plants; introduction to wetland identification and delineation; wetland regulations.

W F S 452 Ichthyology (2) Study of the structure, taxonomy, systematics, and natural history of freshwater and marine fishes.

W F S 453 Ichthyology Laboratory (2) Identification of fishes, major fish families, use of keys. (Big reason I know so darn much about fish, even the little forage fish)

W F S 463W Fishery Management (3) Management of sport and commercial fisheries, including biological, political, social, and economic factors; regulations and other management techniques.

FOR 203L Field Dendrology (2) Field and laboratory identification of native and introduced trees and shrubs by leaf, fruit, bud, twig, bark.

FOR 308 Forest Ecology (3) Effects of environment, spacing, and age on trees; forest influences; origin and development of forest communities.

I had originally majored in wildlife and fisheries science, but changed my mind 3/4 of the way through. So I ended up taking more credits than I even needed for a minor. When I look back, I probably should have just gotten a duel major, but since I was not going into a field related to wildlife or fisheries science I didn't bother. It kind of seems like a waste now... However, I do have lots of worthless knowledge to share. Any fisheries biologist on here like Mr. Lusk or Bill Cody has taken classes similar to these and probably many more. Dr. Willis I am sure teaches classes like the ones I took! Since Chris is working on his degree, he is probably taking some like this right now!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
OK, I guess you don't have volumes of books around your computer, but what made you go into law enforcement.

Alright CJ, for the grand prize an all expenses paid trip to the nearest Dunkin Donuts ID these birds. (NO CHEATING)

Last edited by adirondack pond; 04/14/09 08:03 AM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Changed my major to criminal justice at the end of my junior year and had to do an extra year of college because of it. Figured job security would be a little better and I could live where I wanted. They need cops everywhere and they are always hiring more cops. I only work on average half the days of the week instead of the normal 5, lots of free time to hunt, fish and play around with ponds. Police work is interesting as well... Sometimes I wish I'd have continued and became a fisheries biologists, but I get to kinda do that on my own, so no complaints.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Bird ID

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
OK, I guess you don't have volumes of books around your computer, but what made you go into law enforcement.

Alright CJ, for the grand prize an all expenses paid trip to the nearest Dunkin Donuts ID these birds. (NO CHEATING)

I want to begin by stating I have never taken a single course in ornithology - I am 100% self taught!

Secondly - is this for CJ or TJ? I don't care, I'm going for it anyhow.

First bird....Barred Owl? I don't know my owls so well....but I do like them a lot.
Second bird - I can't see the face too well, but I'm thinking either Snowbird [dark eyed Junco] or a Chickadee...

AP, how did I do? Even close?

TJ

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
eastern screech owl or saw whet owl, hard to tell from pic,

chickadee...

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My $.02 says screech and grey jay.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #158655 04/14/09 12:51 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
TJ, you got the barred owl right.
DIED, you get a 0, back to school.
esshup. you got the grey jay.

We'll see what CJ has to say tonight, maybe were all wrong. \:D

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
adirondack pond:

How tall is the owl? The breast feathers match a barred, but the head is more like a screech from that angle.

Size will tell!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #158673 04/14/09 03:14 PM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
esshup, the photo isn't great cause I had it on digital magnification but the owl was atleast 18", way too big for a screech.
He just sat there while I shoveled snow off the deck but when I brought the roof rake out he didn't like something being above him so he took off.
We did see a screech owl a couple years ago about 2 miles from the cabin, he was sitting in a tree next to a large swampy field.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 04/14/09 03:17 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Being that big, Barred it is! An ex girlfriend rehabbed raptors. I was amazed to see even screech owls eat an adult mouse whole!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #158694 04/14/09 05:30 PM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Not a grey jay expert, or any bird expert, but I'm thinking thats not a grey jay. Never saw a bird like the one in the pic.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FireIsHot - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/26/24 04:06 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away