Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,922
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
7 members (Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, phinfan, catscratch), 860 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
From looking at the pic, I think I see at least a contamination of mosquitofish(gambusia), they are the darker colored fish mixed in with the rosy reds. They do not look like normal colored FHM, they have that greenish hue mosquitofish have. I hope they weren't a bad species of crayfish and I hope the larger old ball was a goldfish and not a carp or there weren't other smaller carp mixed in...

I COUNT AT LEAST 8 MOSQUITOFISH IN THE PHOTO...

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker

Although they weren't ordered, Gambusia aren't going to harm his fishery...more the principle, I guess - wouldn't you agree?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Not at all... However, if they were in there, what else was?

Funny thing is, long after the bass have eaten all those rosy reds, those 8 or so mosquitofish will number in the 1000's and still be around! HAHA

Last edited by CJBS2003; 04/12/09 12:39 AM.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
And it will take a 1000 gams to equal one FH. There are valid reasons to both stocking or not stocking gams and or FH.

Upon an enlarged but not so great quality pic most of those brown fish appear to be regular FHs. That is a common event.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Well TJ, if I must report, the answer to your question is yes, there were many different fish. Now before some people freak, I need to ask: Do regular FHM mixed in with 10 lbs of Rosy Red minnows constitute mixed fish since they are the same species?(I think). I think the total was 4 crawfish. I'm no math wizzard so if you want a ratio you'll have to figure for yourself. The numbers of non-Rosies was say 10-15(?). You may see a few in the pictures.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Sorry guys, I jumped the gun and posted without reading the rest of the posts. What is a misquito fish? And from a few other posts I know you fellas like the Gambusia, but I have no idea what they are either. The questionable Goldfish (or dreaded carp, resembled the fish at the very top in the center of the photo CJ pasted here, thanks by the way, I did not want to flood the site with duplicates). Probably impossible to know for sure now, huh?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: STRIZZO
Sorry guys, I jumped the gun and posted without reading the rest of the posts. What is a misquito fish? And from a few other posts I know you fellas like the Gambusia, but I have no idea what they are either. The questionable Goldfish (or dreaded carp, resembled the fish at the very top in the center of the photo CJ pasted here, thanks by the way, I did not want to flood the site with duplicates). Probably impossible to know for sure now, huh?

If I had to wager, I would say your fishery is going to be fine. I think most guys are just worried about rooks like ourselves and trying to look out for us - setting a standard we should come to expect from our hatcheries.

For me it's hard - not many choices in NE for fish delivered unless I want to drive 3-4 hours and pick them up. I don't want to accept substandard service, but don't feel its fair to freak out about one BG/10,000 FHM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Mosquitofish Link

The above link will give you a rough idea what they are. They are a surface hugging fish you will see in the extreme shallows of your pond often near vegetation. They are livebearers much like a guppy. The female reaches a maximum length of maybe a bit over 2" and the male may reach a hair over an inch. They of all species of forage fish seem to hold their numbers under heavy predation. I think they make great forage for small juvenile predators.

In the picture, you'll notice all the ones I said were mosquitofish are on the surface of the bag making sense since mosquitofish are surface huggers. You'll also notice they are a greenish color, also a common attribute of mosquitofish when looking down on them from above when they are in the water. You will also see two yellowish colored ovals behind the eyes, very noticeable especially on the female in the middle of bag of fish. I think they will be a fine addition to your pond. Mosquitofish usually sell for a much higher price than rosy reds when bought, so you got a deal!

As far as normal colored FHM being mixed in with rosy reds, yes they are the same fish just a genetic morph. As long as the percentage is low, say 1-3%, I wouldn't have an issue with it...

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker

Every day I feed breakfast to 10,000,000 Gambusia that are trained to kill me.

These are Fatheads.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you really want to know what's going into your pond it is quite important to be able to tell forage fish species apart. As has been shown, some fish farms have contaminated fish stocks. I've been breeding and studying mosquitofish since I was 8. I can spot one in a school of 100 FHM...

Notice the fish I have labeled as mosquitofish. They are all smaller than average. Makes sense, as mosquitofish max out in size way smaller than FHM, whether wild colored or rosy. Also notice to the far left the normal or wild colored FHM in the picture. Notice the brown color, not the greenish color the mosquitofish have. Again, notice how all the mosquitofish are right at the surface. Again, they are surface fish unlike the FHM which are not. The only reason why some FHM are at the surface are the cramped conditions of the cooler and the gulping due to lack of DO. Last, notice how none of the fish I have labeled as mosquitofish have their mouths open to gulp air although they are at the surface unlike many of the rosy reds. This is because mosquitofish are even more low DO tolerant than FHM.

A cut of the above picture... Notice the larger fish that is contested, notice the faint yellow oval spots behind the eyes. Notice the other three are very small. If you look at the whole picture they are way smaller than the average fish again this makes sense since mosquitofish are smaller than FHM.

Here is a picture of both wild colored and rosy reds together. As labeled, notice the lack of yellowish oval dots behind the eyes. Also notice the browner color as compared to the mosquitofish which are greenish. Also notice the average size of the wild colored fish is the same as the rosy indicating they are in fact the same species and not different species.

Two pictures of wild mosquitofish, notice the yellowish oval spots behind their eyes...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
TJ got a msg form you will return on the road tommmorrow. Quickly I guess this is what I meant about rec. "Just thought I'd put in a good word for APS". You have a godo attitude and yes it is more about principle. Bluegill cost more tha fhm and a gam ia bonus so you are fine. BUT what happens if one gets the dreaded green sunfish or common carp fry, etc. I think you understood my point. BTW I think Shaun Banks now sells fish he might be able to get you some.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I guess I should have used a bigger cooler! CJ, I appreciate the effort to clarify the situation. I am a novice at all of this, even the eventual joy of fishing this structured oasis. In the end, the error was made and all I can hope for is the best. Time will tell. (and so will I if I happen to find out anything different in the future!)

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Strizzo - you have an awesome pond, a great qty and variation of fish stocked, are doing all the right things structure wise and creating a forage base. You are in GREAT shape! Most importantly you care enough about your projects to ask intelligent questions and care about getting things right. Nothing more to say than congratulations - and please keep posting pics and updates on the progress of your personal slice of heaven. Great work man!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I would drain the pond and start over.............kidding.

Good Luck, STRIZZO.

Last edited by burgermeister; 04/13/09 11:17 PM. Reason: sp

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Stizzo, a few mosquitofish, green sunfish or even carp are not going to destroy your fishery. In all likelihood, if any not wanted species were mixed in with your rosies, they will be eaten long before that get a chance to establish.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Thats good news CJ, thanks.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
CJ, give me a hand with this, please. You probably know more about gams than I do since I don't have any and they are rare or non existent in my area. All of my gam knowledge comes from this site.

How are you identifying them from the pic? All I see are some minnows that aren't orange. About all I can tell from the pic is that they aren't catfish. I don't have the PC technical knowledge to magnify them. How can you tell from the pic?

Dave

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
With magnification, it looks like the one in the middle is probably a gambusia. Cant tell about the rest.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IMO the photos of the fish are not clear enough to definately and positively tell what the non-rosey red fish are. For some species of fish it is very difficult to correctly identify them to species or subspecies from just a picture. To me the several darker fish in the photo do sort of look like Gambusia (mosquito fish), however it is also possible they are regular FHM. I try not to make definate identifications of fish species without clearly seeing the fish close up. Even then, it is beneficial to see more than one view of the fish. In my experience with Gambusia, they are relatively easy to identify if one has a GOOD close up photograph and not a sort of blurry one taken from a distance.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/14/09 08:36 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I am calling them mosquitofish because of their coloration, a more greenish hue than the darker brown FHM natural color. Also, when I blow the picture up on my computer and zoom in, the yellow oval spots to the rear of the eyes are a dead give away. The slight different in shape between the fish as well. Mosquitofish that are not pregnant have a very quick taper to their body. Also the way they are carrying their pectoral fins, they have a distinct cant to the side, where as FHM tend to hold them more closely to their sides.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Need help
by Jward87 - 04/23/24 11:37 AM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?