Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, catscratch, Steve Clubb), 1,032 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"...I got a fever...and the only perscription...is more cowbell."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Jeff Walker
One of my favorite property signs.

No Trespassing. Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

All - can one state this on a sign or would it be interpreted by the authorities as...I don't know, a little over the top?

I was considering adding to my no tres signs "enforced by armed resident" but didn't want my neighbors to think I was a psycho. Certainly don't want the authorities to think I'm dangerous either.

Anyone with any experience here in terms of what one can legally put on a sign would be helpful.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
"...I got a fever...and the only perscription...is more cowbell."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4royOLtvmQ

Sunil - you are in tune. Do you see any similarities in those photos? I sure wish someone with some skills could show Dwight laying down some mean cowbell.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Last I checked America has the 1st Amendment... You can post what ever sign you please. Having your neighbors think you're a little psycho may be a good thing IMO. HAHA

We have an over the top sign at the gate of our hunting property:

"If you're found here today, you'll be found here dead tomorrow"

A couple state troopers came to take a trespass complaint one evening and he asked me where he could get one... I guess the authorities like them too... I know I do!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I prefer to deliver a real message. In all the threads where we talk about our messages of woe and sadness for trespassers, we always eventually conclude that we are not going to get violent because we simply have too much to lose.

I think the "NO TRESPASSING. YES, THIS MEANS YOU" is effective and clear enough to let people know you are serious.

Now we know a lot of folks tear signs down or pay no mind to it.

That takes us beyond the realm of visual deterents when we deal with those kind of folks.

Create something nice for yourself, your family, and your friends, and then others want in.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
Your legal take is helpful, CJ - considering your profession. I don't mean to suggest guys who put these signs out seem pyscho...sorry if I came across that way - I'm just wondering if there are any limits on making threats on people's lives even if it's on a sign.

I've never caught or had a trespasser. Sounds like another rite of passage Grasshopper will undergo soon enough. I don't know what I'd do...honestly - go ape s%%t or address it calmly or call for the authorities.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
As far as trespassing goes and dealing with it, each state has different laws. The best advice I can give is to learn the laws that relate to trespassing. If you know a police officer in your jurisdiction ask them what their opinion is. Even if you just run into one at a restaurant or donut shop, most are nice enough to answer your questions you may have...

Holding someone at gun point because they are trespassing, will probably get you in more trouble than the trespasser themselves. Dealing with trespassers is a frustrating affair but cooler heads must prevail.

The signs that make light of it are entertaining, but I don't going pulling a gun on a trespasser. Particularly if they are unarmed. Some police agencies are more responsive than others and some states have stronger trespass laws than others. In the end, your life is more important than some idiot fishing in your pond, hunting on your land or dumping trash there. These days there are a lot of nuts out there who will shoot you and not think twice about it. When you go to confront someone, just keep that in mind. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by CJBS2003; 04/10/09 08:48 PM. Reason: not clear enough
Lunker
Lunker
Yes, wasn't advocating pulling a gun on anyone, but if the trespassers don't know that, might be an effective message. I will check with our regs...I think trespassing is a measley $50 fine. Hardly a deterent. Bummer.

Good points Sunil - thanks!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Earlier this year I heard 2 4-wheelers in the woods behind my neighbors place and it sounded like they were coming closer. I walked back into the woods and met up with the guy that lives across the street and his dad making their way thru the woods. They got the message when I pointed out to them that they were right on my rifle range, just off to the side of the 300 Yd target butt directly behind the 100 Yd target butt, and I shoot with earplugs AND muffs on. I told them that since this is my property, and I'm the only one here, I don't make a habit of checking the woods to see if anybody is roaming around behind the targets. I told them that I sure would feel bad if someone got shot, but I wouldn't be the one that was hurting. They know some of the things that I shoot, and I'm pretty sure that they got the message.

I haven't had a problem since. I'm anxiously waiting for the new gun to be completed - the bullet will stay supersonic past 2100 Yds on that one..... Wait 'till they hear that one go off!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that either of you was going to bump someone off. There are a lot of folks who read these threads without ever letting us know they are reading.

CJ, your point about not knowing if some nutbag will pull a gun on you while on your land is very important. Guvnor has had folks cooking drugs on his land. They like the water supply.

No matter what, going up and confronting some nutbag has it's own set of risks when you are solo regardless if you look like Dwight at Altamont. Don't get me wrong...I have not been so good at restraining myself from one-on-one discussion when coming upon someone trespassing on my land. It's hard.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
One from the 80's holding a nice bass on the water he used as his signature - I gotta have more cowbell, baby! [I hope someone gets this]

Dwight kinda does look like Will Ferrell...if you squint a lot.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Laying off a lot of rounds at the property is a pretty strong signal.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
For anyone interested in looking up the laws related to trespassing or any law for the matter, a good site is http://www.municode.com/Resources/OnlineLibrary.asp Click on the state you live in and then chose the jurisdiction from which you live in...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What's nice is the property rises in the back approx 35' and it makes a natural backstop for the farthest target. I cleared out a lane in the woods about 20' wide, but the woods is thick on each side of the lane. I've had deer walk out @ 250 Yds as I was shooting at a target set @ 100 Yds. I just wait until they leave and resume what I was doing.

I've found that it's easier being nice, but still getting my point across, after all I can't be home 100% of the time and they ARE neighbors. They saw my side of things, and agreed that they did something stupid. (not to mention tresspassing on 3 different properties before they got to mine!)

When I renovated the pond I did notice that there were about 75 CC's that were missing. They were stocked @ 6"-9" and there aren't any fish in there that could eat them, so I might be sticking up an infrared trail cam high in a tree looking down at the area of the pond that has the feeder just to keep everybody honest.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
One from the 80's holding a nice bass on the water he used as his signature - I gotta have more cowbell, baby! [I hope someone gets this]

Dwight kinda does look like Will Ferrell...if you squint a lot.

Yeah, especially his pic he used as his signature. I have to say I have a soft spot in my heart for Blue Oyster Cult...

"Burn out the day - Burn out the night...."

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
 Originally Posted By: the stick
He is a 75" - 260 pounder. Big enough.

Originally Posted By: Dwight

Hmmm... Not the kinda guy I want to have to try to put hand cuffs on! HAHA

Ahh a tazer would make him into a pussycat! \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
50,000 volts baby! I've ridden the wave and it does hurt... I mean HURT!!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I might be sticking up an infrared trail cam high in a tree looking down at the area of the pond that has the feeder just to keep everybody honest.

That reminds me of Ronald Reagan's quip about dealing with the Russians: "Trust but verify." ;\)

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
So far, we haven't had any problems but I am expecting some since our pond is in the middle of a subdivision and we live on the other side of town.

The good news is that we have a very nice and friendly game warden who lives on the same street as our pond and he has our cell phone numbers and we have his. He knows that we have given 3 people permission to fish there whenever they want and nobody but those 3 people are allowed to be there when we aren't there.

He's also a very big dude that carries a very big sidearm! The first time he came down to the pond was shortly after we'd bought it and he was pretty intimidating. Luckily, I had all the papers in my car to show that we'd just bought the property. After that, he invited me up to his house to have a beer and promised to keep an eye on it for us. We also gave him permission to trap beavers and fish. ;\)

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Al Davison
So far, we haven't had any problems but I am expecting some since our pond is in the middle of a subdivision and we live on the other side of town.

The good news is that we have a very nice and friendly game warden who lives on the same street as our pond and he has our cell phone numbers and we have his. He knows that we have given 3 people permission to fish there whenever they want and nobody but those 3 people are allowed to be there when we aren't there.

He's also a very big dude that carries a very big sidearm! The first time he came down to the pond was shortly after we'd bought it and he was pretty intimidating. Luckily, I had all the papers in my car to show that we'd just bought the property. After that, he invited me up to his house to have a beer and promised to keep an eye on it for us. We also gave him permission to trap beavers and fish. ;\)

Al - I was hoping to introduce myself personally to the local Sheriffs and offer them a chance to fish my place from time to time in order to get fast respsonse should someone trespass. I wonder if that would work...sounds like you've got an ideal situation. Good work!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good post, Al. Many people shy away from game wardens, but I love having them near us. We lucked out at deer camp--the game warden's property backs up to a portion of the ranch we hunt.

For those who have nothing to hide, encouraging game wardens and LEOs to make themselves at home is a great bonus when trying to maintain security of your hunting/fishing land/water.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
TJ, it'll work... At least it does in Virginia.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
50,000 volts baby! I've ridden the wave and it does hurt... I mean HURT!!!

Yeah they make you guys find out what it feels like don't they? My nephew works in a jail and took a class on it. Everybody had to get a doze of it to get a feel for it. Reminds me when they tear gassed us in the military to make us take our masks seriously.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/10/09 10:18 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
Thanks guys. I think I'll be taking a few pints of my homemade habanero salsa to the station [wherever that might be - I live in the city] and meet the guys. Hopefully a few of them fish, and will be more than happpy to protect their honey hole.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
How about a sign saying
There are a lot of places to bury trespassers on this property. Enter at your own risk!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward