Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 683 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#157783 04/09/09 08:41 PM
J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
So I had got off work a little early and decided to go and cut the grass around the pond, So im weed eating and look up and their is a man and his son fishing on the other side. We have 80 acres and in the middle of out land is a house that sits on 2 acres that isn't ours. From the house you can see my pond but id around 75 or 100 yards off. Theres a fence in between the house and the pond by the way! So I walk up to them and ask them what the F#@k are you doing. They said they were fixing the dish washer for the people that live in the house but since they weren't home they figured they would go fishing while they were waiting for the people to get back. So needless to say im furious by now. I told him that he had figured wrong and to get back across the property line. So they went up there and got in the truck and left. First of all What happened to fixing the dishwasher second who bring their fishing poles to fix it. I hate people that think that they can just fish were ever they want and they know that they don't have any bussiness there. There fence that they crossed is old and broken down and it doesn't mark anything. I own all the way to within 15' of the house. I marked some pine trees with Orange flagging tape before they brought the house and showed them were the lines were. I don't want to have to be a A#@ hole but I think I might end up putting a fence right by there back steps if this kind of thing happens again. I think I might atleast put up some no fishing signs even though I hate to tacky up their view out the back of their house. But it is my land and thats what they get for buying a house in the middle of someone elses land. Sorry yall I just had to vent for a little bit.

Lunker
Lunker
Been there, done that although not wrt fishing. Got to walk up behind a guy hunting on my place once. He worked real hard to ignore me until I got about 6" behind him and announced my presence rather loudly.

I suggest good fence marked with No Trespassing signs. Space iaw state laws. It won't keep 'em all out, but should cut down the incidence a fair amount.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JSand13,

Don't blame you. I'd be hot too. I've had people fish my ponds but only if they ask permission and on my schedule. Something about helping yourself or mooching off of someone really irks me.

I know a guy that came home to a whole family fishing his pond complete with lawn chairs barbecue grill etc. When he asked them why they were fishing on private property their excuse was "It's not posted." Huh?

Not to make light of your situation, but I do have a funny story. One of my customers had prime deer hunting property of a few hundred acres. One morning he went out to his deer stand and some stranger was sitting in it. He asked him if he has permission. The guy responded very billiegerantly, "Hell yes I have permission and *&^%$#$# leave me alone." "Who gave you permission?" asked the property owner. Why the property owner you *&^%$% who do you think?" said the guy. "That's odd said the property owner. I'm ------- and I sure don't remember giving you permission. If you don't get down from the stand right now I'm going to blow your ... out of it." Needless to say the guy left in a hurry and never came back. \:D

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/09/09 08:55 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I really hate to seem like a butt and put a fence up right in their back yard but for all I know they told him that he could go fishing. I hate that this happened because my pond is about 5 miles from my house and now im gonna be riding back and forth all the time checking on things.

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
This pond used to belong to my aunt until she passed away last year but she would tell every body that they could come fishing. I would go to the pond sometimes and their would be 10 people fishing in the pond. So as soon as she left me and my brother the property I put gates up and posted signs everywhere exept in these folks back yard. Guess thats next.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
It all comes down to lack of respect for other peoples property, I use to own 110 remote acres that were posted with ask permission stickers with my name and phone.
In the 6 years that I owned it I would catch people there when I was hunting every year, In all that time only 1 person ever asked me for permission to hunt, which I gave him.
Most of the time people would tell me that they have hunted there for years so I guess they felt entitled.
If I found someone fishing my pond without permission, the fish might have some fresh meat to eat. \:\/

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I wish it was where you could just shoot someone if you caught them fishing in your pond. After the first couple you catch you wouldn't have many more problems.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I think trespassers fall into the same category as litter bugs. I just wish I knew where they lived so that I could do the same thing to their homes that they feel is ok to do to others. Maybe go park on their lawn, or drive across it a few times. Cut some branches off of their tree and start a fire and then leave a pile of garbage on their front porch.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Dont blame you for being pissed; just trying to figure out why all the rant at the house owners. Do you think they invited them, or was it the house owners that were fishing?

Last edited by burgermeister; 04/09/09 10:12 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good fences make good neighbors ! If you don't keep them off next thing you know they will claim its theirs or they have a right to use it.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
I think trespassers fall into the same category as litter bugs. I just wish I knew where they lived so that I could do the same thing to their homes that they feel is ok to do to others. Maybe go park on their lawn, or drive across it a few times. Cut some branches off of their tree and start a fire and then leave a pile of garbage on their front porch.

Eddie

Another funny story:

I had a taxidermy student from Kentucky a few years ago. His dad was in charge of prisoners that picked up litter on the highway. One day he was driving on the local highway and watched someone throw a couple of bags of left over McDonald's stuff out their window. Problem was it's a very rural area in the mountains and everyone knows everyone. He knew who these people were. He pulled over and picked up the garbage and proceeded to head for their house and pulled into their driveway. Came up to the house and rang the doorbell. Then pointed to the McDonald's refuse in the yard he put there and told they left something on the highway back a spell. \:D \:D \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
The home owners don't grasp the concept that they live on two acres in the middle of my eighty. They are in there 60's and sometimes they will go for walks all over my land. I didn't sweat it as long as nobody was fishing. I think that they feel since im nice to them that its ok to go for walks on my land. I would rather they stay on there 2 acres and out of my way. They also ask me every time they see me if I have been catching any fish witch just seems odd to me since they aren't aloud to fish. Maybe I read to much into things sometimes. To answer eddies question, I think that they may have told this guy he could fish. For some reason I just have that feeling. I have seen this guys truck at there house several times so I don't think he was just someone that they hired to fix their dishwasher. I feel like he is probabaly a friend or family member and knew exactly where the propety lines are at.

Last edited by jsand13; 04/09/09 09:58 PM.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
"Old and in their 60's", jsand cut some of us ancient folks some slack. \:D

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I think anyone who owns hunting property or a fishing pond has been in your shoes... Much like Cecil's story, I have actually mad people tell me to go away I am in their hunting spot when they were hunting on my family's land. It's bad enough when you actually live on the property, but when you don't it's even worse. I find fishing lure wrappers, old worm boxes all around our creek behind out hunting cabin. I've had came cameras and tree stands stolen. People have little respect... Some states have better trespass laws than others. Fortunately Virginia's trespass laws are pretty good, Pennsylvania's trespass laws are a joke!

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
CJ your lucky, you can legally shoot someone. ;\)

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
The people that brought this house moved here from Ohio. Maybe its ok to do trespass up there.

Im cutting yall some slack. I changed it after I reread it. Im only 25 so 60 does seem acient to me. I don't think I will be around that long.

Last edited by jsand13; 04/09/09 10:06 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wow Missouri must be catching up with Texas on this! Shoot to kill!? \:o

Acknowledging that they’re reacting to the recent wave of cattle rustlings, 17 House members introduced the Missouri Right to Protection Act in February, which would allow property owners to shoot to kill anyone threatening them or their property. Current law allows such a response only inside the home or an automobile but not out of doors — where the cattle and the thieves are.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29979871/from/ET/

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/09/09 10:08 PM.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Thats what I thought when I was 25, you'll be there before you know it, enjoy the ride.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Thats what I thought when I was 25, you'll be there before you know it, enjoy the ride.

That's for sure! I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how I got to 51 so fast!

Having just come back from Florida I'm convinced we can all reach our 80's if we don't smoke, eat right, and exercise. I met several people in my dad and mom's condo community that were in their 80's that didn't look a day over 65! They all didn't smoke, kept their weight down and walked or golfed very day! My parents work out three times a week and walk almost every day about 2 miles!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I had edited my earlier post, but this thread has taken off so I will add it here:

OK, I read a later post that said maybe the house owners said they could fish. You may have to put up a sign on that old fince that says, "There's a new sheriff in town."

Eddie, I couldn't agree more about the littering. Every time I go to my pond area, there is paper cups, candy, chip wrappers, etc. Country kids walking from the bus stop home. Cant wait to throw it in their trash can. I am trying to get time to put up an electric fence around the pond.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
CJ your lucky, you can legally shoot someone. ;\)

I wish, they hold law enforcement to an even higher degree of scrutiny... If I actually shot a trespasser on my property Internal Affairs would probably have a field day. Only ever pulled my gun on a person once when off-duty and that was because a trespassing turkey hunter thought I was archery hunting and didn't have a gun with me. When he pointed his shotgun at me, he quickly found his arm twisted and a .40 pointed between his eyes. Haven't seen him since...

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
jsand, this has been an on-going issue here as well. it was much worse when we first moved here over 12 yrs ago.

the feeling you get when someone has been on your property and left trash only gets more bitter as i age. yesterday i found a coors can on my driveway out by the pond. seems like such a little thing, but i am still PISSED.....just what eddie says, makes me want to go park on that a$$holes front lawn, drink some beers, chuck the cans in front of his house, thanks for the visit......

as far as i'm concerned its all about respect, and i have increasingly less patience w/ those who have none.

GSF are people too!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
This is one of the reasons I don't fish public waters much anymore. Sadly it seems many anglers are the worst offenders.

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Well when you find trash around your pond you pretty much know someone has been fishing. What you don't know is what they may have caught and took with them. When your management program just doesn't seem like its going no where even if you are doing all the things right you wonder how many people have been slipping and going fishing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One major deterent for trespassers is to hang a couple of five gallon buckets or coffee cans in some trees where they are visible, and put a mess of bullet holes through them.

Keeping scumbags off your land is an ongoing effort. You can never rest on this. Once you run off a person or group of person, a new group always comes along.

It sounds like you need to go over the rules with these homeowners, in person. I would also have them call you if they ever see anyone on the land.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails