Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS, Ben Davis, DBS
18,529 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,010
Posts558,488
Members18,529
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,604
ewest 21,512
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,158
Who's Online Now
4 members (canyoncreek, Lincoln Doug, Sunil, nvcdl), 1,157 guests, and 565 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
How about a sign saying
There are a lot of places to bury trespassers on this property. Enter at your own risk!

Perfect! I could use some landscaping "berms" to spruce up the place!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
A week after we bought the property with the pond (it had ALWAYS been posted) I had a guy take a swing at me when I asked him to leave. I just stepped back and showed him my best friend and he vacated the area. My friends name?? MR GLOCK. Didnt point it at him or threaten him, just laid my buddy on the hood of the Ranger. It's amazing how rednecks who cant read can understand the situation when its explained by a friend! Have concealed carry permit will travel is my motto.

A dozen worms $2.00
Buying your grandson a new pole $25.00
The look on your grandson's face
when he catches his first fish PRICELESS!
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
50,000 volts baby! I've ridden the wave and it does hurt... I mean HURT!!!

My friends dad is the cheif of hasmat and fire at universal city and got his son a tazer...

More then one night was spent tazing the crap out of my friends and I... there is a video...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Thanks guys. I think I'll be taking a few pints of my homemade habanero salsa to the station [wherever that might be - I live in the city] and meet the guys. Hopefully a few of them fish, and will be more than happpy to protect their honey hole.

Think twice.
The GW invitation to enter and patrol your property is a good idea. We did it. Why not; it's part of his job. Allowing him access to a place where lawbreaking is a higher likelihood is being nothing more than being a good neighbor and citizen. It does not require quid pro quo in the form of open season fishing and/or hunting. Opening that door invites way too many forms of potential problems.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've thought about that (the GW). Here's the problem. The GW around our area has a pretty large area to cover and I doubt that he would ever have time to mess with us. Road hunting and poaching seems to be an Olympic sport around me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Most people don't realize it, but unless your state has a law which makes it illegal(few have) whether you give permission to a game warden or not, they can legally enter your property at any time. Even if it is posted, fenced or you personally share your dislike of them doing so... It was a 4th Amendment Ruling by the US Supreme Court called the Open Fields Doctrine.

Link From South Dakota Game and Fish

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Most people don't realize it, but unless your state has a law which makes it illegal(few have) whether you give permission to a game warden or not, they can legally enter your property at any time. Even if it is posted, fenced or you personally share your dislike of them doing so... It was a 4th Amendment Ruling by the US Supreme Court called the Open Fields Doctrine.

Link From South Dakota Game and Fish

How old is that case? (Sorry I need to get to the bank before it closes and don't have time to read it) I could be wrong but I have been told several times by others in my profession that a case in PA called Sprinkle vs. Spangler changed all that. It involved an overzealous conservation officer that searched a taxidermist repeatedly at all hours of the day and night and ended up in the supreme court I was told. After that case allegedly CO's need a warrant like every other LEO. Alledgedly according to my sources the CO's want you to think they don't need a warrant however they really do. The idea is if you think they don't need one and let them in they are off the hook.

Maybe Eric can shed some light on this? I'd like to know if I'm getting bad information or not.

OTOH, I get searched from time to time in my taxidermy shop and have no problem with it as long as the LEO is courteous, as I have nothing to hide. From what I've heard they can make life rough for you if you don't cooperate.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/11/09 09:36 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The difference is that the over zealous CO in that case was searching dwellings. There is a distinction in the Open Fields Doctrine. CO or game wardens, what ever you wish to call them can at will search "open fields" meaning pretty much open land of any kind whether it be fields, woods, waters etc... They cannot search buildings or their curtilage without first obtaining a search warrant and that requires probably cause that a crime has or is being committed. See:

Open Fields Doctrine

Last edited by CJBS2003; 04/11/09 09:52 AM. Reason: clarified a bit
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
In Georgia, a GW or DNR official is considered a sworn officer and they can come onto any property at any time in the performance of their duties or for investigating the possibility of a crime.

Still, we like Ranger Nick so, he's just welcome any old time he wants to visit for any reason.

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
 Quote:
Ahh a tazer would make him into a pussycat!

No need to Taze on me. I am pretty mellow.

There are times when it is good to have "the look" even if the only thing backing it up is a low, slow growl of a voice. \:D

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

CB,

Makes sense to me.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
signage........"Private Proterty. Price of admission; you can't afford it!

Do poachers need a fishing license?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: the stick
He is a 75" - 260 pounder. Big enough.

And that's not a fish story, right? \:D

Lunker
Lunker
No fish story, no Condello technic, no hyperbole. Those of you that go to the conference will be able to attest to this.

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Looks like a big 'ol teddy bear to me.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
This topic has lots of good Ideas and info, looks like this problem is widespread.
When I go up to my pond I target shoot almost every time, maybe a little noise goes a long way ;\)
Haven't seen a trespasser yet, but I'm thinking of putting up a target on the far side of the pond, about 120 yards from my deck, easy shot with the Springfield.

J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Well im feeling alot better about things after talking to the folks that live in the house. I started by asking him if I wasn't clear when I said I didn't want anyone fishing in the pond and he say no you were very clear. He ask what happened and I told him the whole story. He apoligized and told me that that guy is from a home appliance repair company and that He was supposed to be there around 4 to fix the dishwasher( I caught him at around one.) Guess he was planning on making a day out of fishing in my pond. The homeowner said that he got home at three and that he waited around till five and the guy never showed up. So he called the company the man worked for and they told him that he had went home sick for the day. Its now saturday and the homeowners dishwasher is still broke. I guess he decided that he may be in some trouble so didn't come back. The homeowner said that the repair man had ask about fishing in the pond a few weeks back and he made it very clear that it wasn't his pond and that I didn't like people fishing in it. The homeowner and his wife said that they understand that I spend a great deal of time and money on my pond and that they would never give anyone permission to go fishing in it. They thanked me for coming by and said that it made him angry that the guy had did that because they don't want any problems between us. He Said that come monday he would be having a talk with the company that the man works for. We stood there and talked for a hour or so and he assured me that this kind of thing wouldn't happen again.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Burger, in Texas a license is needed only for public waters.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Burger, in Texas a license is needed only for public waters.

Same here (Indiana), but if they want to take come cull fish home, then they need to have a license.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
jsand13, that is good news. Always the best to have another few sets of eyes on your place. Buy them a ham for Easter.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
About the neighbor in your instance. I would allow the neighbors to fish but make them understand your rules. I think too many people are absorbed in their own lives that being neighborly is going to the wayside. Of course make sure they realize only they are allowed nobody else. They may even take it upon themselves to police your waters when you aren't there.

Jonesy

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sometimes it is good to allow neighbors to hunt/fish your property... Those permission often gets abused though!

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
If it were me, I'd allow the old couple to fish in exchange for watching my property for me. I'd make it clear that this only applies to them, not their friends, family, or dishwasher repairmen. But that's just me. The old flies and honey thing.

Hey Moe, I'm trying to think but nuthin's happening!
J
jsand13 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
No I learned my lesson about letting anyone fish a long time ago. I will be nice to them and help them out when I can but the pond is my playground and I keep perfect records of everything that goes in and comes out. If you start letting people fish then you lose that ability.

Last edited by jsand13; 04/13/09 03:25 PM.
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
It's funny how private ponds and woodlands are seen by some as public use. The larger the land holding, the more common it is for people to help themselves. In my province there is one-hundred millon acres of crown public land, for all to use, hunt, fish, whatever. That is 70% of all land in Alberta. It is common place during hunting season to ask farmers/ranchers for access to private lands to hunt, which is fine and most times access is given freely. Having said that, there is still some that abuse the system. It makes me want to visit their place, maybe tie up my horses in their yard, do a little quading, might have to use their fridge, hopefully they have a swimming pool.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
glfranks
Recent Posts
Repairing Dam with Culvert?
by FishinRod - 05/14/24 05:56 PM
Nested Mallards
by FishinRod - 05/14/24 02:48 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Augie - 05/14/24 02:40 PM
Spotfin Shiners - Habitat, Cover and Structure