Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (FishinRod, esshup, Justin W, Augie, bstone261, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 699 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Just wanted to make anyone interested aware I did end up buying 10 lbs of FHM from Arkansas Pond Stockers fish truck. Paid $8.50/lb and stocked them last Saturday.

Lost maybe 10 minnows...tops. I hand sorted these as I have never had any experience with APS and I found ONE BG, and probably two dozen fish that looked almost identical to FH but were significantly larger [4"]. Not sure if they were bull males [if they ever grow to that size] or more likely a chub of some kind. Otherwise, considering the high qty of fish stocked AND their source [Ye Olde Fish Truck] I was very satisfied with my purchase.

Just thought I'd put in a good word for APS - in this case they did a solid job and I'd do it again [but would also hand sort!].

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Good news, TJ! You'll be glad you took the time to hand sort.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Good news, TJ! You'll be glad you took the time to hand sort.

I have to admit, although I'm pretty meticulous, I really enjoy the process.

Bags into the pond to acclimate slowly to pond water temps

Slowly introduce pond water and mix well

Do that again

Do that again

Do that again

Begin with half scoops - visual check - then into bucket with 3/4 pond water - 1/4 original water

Then scoop from bucket and hand sort into another bucket, 100% pond water

Then immerse myself just an inch or two above my boot waders so I accidently fill with 45 degree water, then get to the process of coaxing my fish to leave the safety of the bucket to do their thing.

I made this process far more time consuming than I needed to - I imagine I could have dumped each bag right into the pond and walked away, but I really do enjoy playing with my FH kiddos a bit before they leave the nest.

My wife watched this process for five minutes, declared me severely impaired, and went home.

Ah - silence at last!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Did you take pictures of the possible mystery minnow? I am curious what it may have been... I do not think FHM get that large, even a fully grown male. Bluntnose minnows which are closely related do, perhaps some bluntnose minnows were mixed in. If they were, you're lucky, personally I think they make better forage than FHM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
CJ

I didn't even think to bring a camera bc I was solo [wife blazed on me] and have dumped several digital cameras already doing the one handed thing.

I can say they looked identical to a FH in terms of coloration but did have more bottom oriented mouths and were much broader and longer. I'd say about 4" long. I'm disappointed I can't provide pics - with the mouth orientation in my limited minnow identification experience I thought it looked like some species of chub - but who knows. To be safe they ended up in the Little Bluestem and not in the pond.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Hard to tell, better to play it safe like you said though...

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
They were probably common carp!!

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Shawn Banks
They were probably common carp!!

Yes, my fisheries management guru, Shawn Banks, recommended them along with Black Bullhead and Longnose Gar. Think that's a problem?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Throw in the GSF and lampreys while you're at it and you'll have one fine fishing hole! HAHA

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
hi guys, since you bring it up TJ, and since I will be stocking on Saturday the 11th, just how long does it take a bag of oxygen induced "hatchery water" (?) to acclimate to a pond? I'd hate for the neighbors cat or dog to drag off several of my hard earned dollars and devour some helpless fishes. The last time I just waited a few minutes and let 'em rip, I lost a handful of BG, but when you consider they rode from somewhere east of here in a cargo van, and there were to 1200 of them, I felt a handful of deceased was not too bad (I have small hands)! Thanks.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
The part about placing clear bags of fish into the pond and let sit, should not be followed; especially if the sun is out and high. The water can warm up way too quick. The adding of cupfuls of water every couple of minutes acclimates them to the changing chemical conditions and temps.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Okay, suggestions on how to do it the right way? Recommendations? Advice? Helpful tips?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Strizzo

I let the bags sit for about 15 minutes, supervised, and it was a cold and cloudy day. Mainly I let them sit there while I got my buckets filled and ready for acclimation. Then I opened the bags and slowly introduced my pond water - adding about 1/4 of the volume with my pond water and doing so again every 5-10 minutes. Temp differences were only about 8 degrees, so I was more concerned with the chemical differences burgermeister indicated. The guys I've spoken with at hatcheries thought I was going through far too much time and effort - maybe it's just because they've gone thru the process a million times - but I like to err on the side of care.

I've stocked 2000 fish the last six months with no morts I can verify...and the slow introduction of the pond water has been the one consistent measure I've taken.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Alright TJ, thanks for the lesson, I'll try it out and we will see how it works. I hope to have some pictures of the event as well as some "fry flowers" I created today to post later, if I can remember how I did it!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Strizzo

Im no a stocking vet - so I'd talk to your hatchery and see what they suggest too. From what I've seen thus far it's not exactly rocket science...and I've had no problems stocking in 45 or up to 80 degree water.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Thanks, I'll be sure to ask them what they recommend.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
TJ just saw this thread. I find it ironic you recommend arkansas pond stockers after receiving undesirable fish. This is the kind of thing that if I did this I would be out of business. I have never had a single fish go to a pond other than what they ordered. It is the cardinal sin in pond stocking business to have species that was not part of the plan. Glad you took time to go through the order but after hearing this no way would I suggest anyone getting fish from them.

Burger your right I had a client years ago say don't worry just sit them in the pond we will only be a few mins. We ran water quality on pond few hundred yards away. Tons of questions he kept asking and I said lets get to fish. Came back to dead fish. He blamed me and I had the fish alive for a 3 hr trip and did not get paid. He got free pond advice and I lost 6 hour day and cost of fish. Lesson learned the hard way.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
TJ just saw this thread. I find it ironic you recommend arkansas pond stockers after receiving undesirable fish. This is the kind of thing that if I did this I would be out of business. I have never had a single fish go to a pond other than what they ordered. It is the cardinal sin in pond stocking business to have species that was not part of the plan. Glad you took time to go through the order but after hearing this no way would I suggest anyone getting fish from them.

Burger your right I had a client years ago say don't worry just sit them in the pond we will only be a few mins. We ran water quality on pond few hundred yards away. Tons of questions he kept asking and I said lets get to fish. Came back to dead fish. He blamed me and I had the fish alive for a 3 hr trip and did not get paid. He got free pond advice and I lost 6 hour day and cost of fish. Lesson learned the hard way.

As I've indicated on several occasions this was my first experience stocking from a "traveling fish truck", and I thought one BG out of 10 lbs of FH was acceptable. Not to mince words, but I don't recall "recommending" APS, I just thought it helpful to everyone if I related the details of my experience with the "traveling fish truck" and that I thought one BG was not a big deal....especially since I already have them stocked. So I said I was satisfied - considering the fact I was told to harbor low expectations, I was pretty happy without a bullhead, stickleback or carp in the bunch.

I really like hearing you say that even that BG was unacceptable. Too bad you're in GA and not closer to NE. I've been reading a lot of threads about accidental stockings and quite frankly assumed it was an inherent issue with any stocking. I was warned to have low expectations...so figured it was the reality of stocking. I've made no bones about this being my first experience with nearly everything I've done regarding ponds from concept to fulfillment, and I'm glad to have feedback like this to help establish expectations for future stockings.

In terms of allowing bags to acclimate to pond temps for 10 - 15 min in a pond being a sin - guess that's a lesson learned. I was instructed to do so by a couple of hatcheries and have never lost a fish to date following the practice. I would certainly never distribute an ounce of advice I had not followed myself successfully. Guess you and Burger have a divergent view - and I appreciate your experienced guidance.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hey, Strizzo...don't allow your bags of fish to sit in the pond.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Well, don't let them sit indefinitely. Provided they were filled with pure O2, the stockers will be good for the time it takes for the bag water to come up (or down) to match the pond water temperature. Say 1/2 hour or so unless there was a huge difference in temp to begin with.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Gosh, that sounds vaguely familiar. Some days I'm just a clay pigeon. Guess there are indeed divergent views on the subject...now I don't know what to do in the future.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
ONCE AGAIN, THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS, GOOD AND BAD, ANY ISSUES WITH MIXING RECIEVED FISH(FROM THE SAME SUPPLIER, BUT DIFFERENT SPECIES)? SAY I GET 10 LBS OF MINNOWS AND 300 RES, CAN I DUMP BOTH TYPES IN A COOLER AND THEN SLOWLY, OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, ADD SOME POND WATER AND THEN TRANSFER THE WHOLE COOLER TO THE POND?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
When I place bags of fish into water to equalize temps, I also cut slits in bag to let pond water seep into bags - then adios - no morts.

I don't examine fish - don't need to - I trust my supplier.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Had a successful event today, no "morts" as you guys say. I did have one rather large minnow(could have been a gold fish LOL) seemingly in distress, but I let him go seperately and he seemed to do okay. There were several odd ball fishes of different varieties, so maybe these folks aren't the best at sorting. There were some regular FHM in the mix as well as some crawfish.
Check out the pics under the "creating forage base" forum, since most were minnows. Thanks for the advice fellas. Happy Easter!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: STRIZZO
Had a successful event today, no "morts" as you guys say. I did have one rather large minnow(could have been a gold fish LOL) seemingly in distress, but I let him go seperately and he seemed to do okay. There were several odd ball fishes of different varieties, so maybe these folks aren't the best at sorting. There were some regular FHM in the mix as well as some crawfish.
Check out the pics under the "creating forage base" forum, since most were minnows. Thanks for the advice fellas. Happy Easter!

Strizzo - that's great to hear the day went well with no floaters. But I'm not sure how to interpret "lots of mixed fish". You mean your fish delivery included fish species you didn't order? I had one bluegill/thousands of FH. According to Greg Grimes even this margin of error was unacceptable and hatcheries should be held to a higher standard. I hope you didn't far worse than this????

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy