Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
4 members (ArkieJig, buzzdpm, Steve Clubb, Bobbss), 1,038 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Been lurking for a while and have leaned alot already. Probably a year or two from building my own pond but my inlaws have several down on the ranch in S.Texas 2 acres to 65 acres. I live in Central Texas and starting to do my research ijnto who to build, design, stocking rates etc..I hope to build my own 2-3 acre pond. Look forward to learning from you guys.

See ya around the campfire.

Brandon

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Hi Brandon,we're glad to have you aboard.You'll get lots of great advice and share tons of knowlegde with other members on here.There is a couple with numnut advice(I fit into that catagory)But its all in good fun.Besides,all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,and we aint dull people.
Also,if you dont mind my asking,where in central Texas...Im in Dawson.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Tom

Thanks for the welcome. I am in the beautiful hillcountry, Marble Falls to be exact.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yo BrandonA....come on in; the water's fine
Welcome...

Lunker
Lunker
Howdy, Brandon.

Current score is:

Texans 2822
Rest of the World 1999

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Brandon,

Welcome aboard!

Marble Falls is one of the most gorgeous places in the state (I'd say the nation, but I'm also biased).

When going north of San Antonio, I take 281 instead of I-35 if at all possible so I can go through Marble Falls and the beautiful hill country. If I could get my wife out of the city, I'd love to live in Marble Falls.

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
65 acres, change Brandon to lunker
welcome

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Case in point for Marble Falls:

"Only after sorrow's hand has bowed your head will life become truly real to you; then you will acquire the noble spirituality which intensifies the reality of life. I go to an all-powerful God. Beyond that I have no knowledge--no fear--only faith."
D
DennisS
Unregistered
DennisS
Unregistered
D
Love Marble Falls and riding the Hill Country on the bikes.

Hello Brandon.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
davasta

That looks like a picture of Lake Travis. South of Marble Falls. Marble Falls is great. I live with 20 minutes of 4 different lakes, which make up the Highland Lakes. Lots of creeks to fish. Its tough to build a good pond that holds water due to the Granite gravel. Most ponds around here are eithered lined or they damn creeks and back up water.

Cliff

Due to the drought that lake is about 10 acres today. We have recieved about 10-12 inches of rain in three years. Nothing to really catch water.

We have 5 lakes on the ranch.

Lake #1) is 65 acres
Lake #2) is 15 acres
Lake #3) is 33 acres
Lake #4) is 8 acres

and Lake # 5) were not real sure how much it will back up once it floods. The engineer thinks it will back up about 100 acres making it the largest.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
5 lakes and ponds of that size... WOW!

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Welcome!

That certainly raises the Texas contingency.
;\)

BTW: Add yourself to the map that was started here

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Just added myself. Batesville Texas and Marble Falls TX.

My wifes family ranch has been in the family since 1876. In south Texas water is gold. The majority of the lakes were built in the late 50's and 60's due to the devasting drought of the 50's. The Great Uncle swore he would never run out of water again. The big lake is a pretty good fishing. The largest bass caught was a little over 14 lbs. My best is just under 12. not uncommon to go out and catch several in the 6-8lb range on any given afternoon.

One of the biggest problems we have is all the migratory birds bringing in the eggs of trash fish. About every 15 yrs we have to kill a lake out. transport the good fish to other holding tanks and kill all the trash fish. We did the 65 acre lake 2 yrs ago.

In addition to the the lakes there are countless 1/2 acre tanks scattered about to provide water for the livestock. We usually use those to hold the good fish when we kill the bigger lakes.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds great, you sure it is the migratory birds bringing in the eggs or just high water events where the fish are able to go in between the different bodies of water?

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
CJ I think it may be a little bit of both. During extreme flooding it is possible to get foreign fish from another ranch to the NE. When that happens it floods into the 65 acre lake that if it floods the spillway it will eventually dump itno the 15 acres lake about 3/4 mile away. The other lakes are far enough away that fish can't swim between them. If it floods that bad Noah is back in town.

During the winter months it is not uncommon to migratory birds by the thousands on the lakes. I have read and have been told they can transport eggs from lake to lake on their feet and in the mouth.

The new lake will be subject to flooding and foreign fish. The damn on this lake is approx 400 yds long and the depth at the damn is going to be 40ft or so. Two wet weather creeks as well as the spill way water of the 15 acre and 8 acre lake are going to feed this thing. I am excited about this lake. When it fills its going to back up a bunch of water and flood a lot of brush country. This will make it a bass haven. Wish it would hurry up and rain.

Long term plan is to pipe water to this lake to keep it pretty constant or at least the main body. We just drilled a well that tested at 500+ gallons per minute.

With the depth and the size over time I hope to make it an outstanding fishery. Due to the long growing season in S.Texas bass reach trophy size very quickly. Even considereing stocking some hydrid stripped bass. I hope to create my own little "Falcon".

Last edited by BrandonA; 04/03/09 10:17 AM.
Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: BrandonA
During the winter months it is not uncommon to migratory birds by the thousands on the lakes. I have read and have been told they can transport eggs from lake to lake on their feet and in the mouth.

CJ likely asked because the bird transportation process it, to say the least, questioned here.

Personally, while I discount the possiblity of fish eggs being transported by birds, I am sure the transport of live fish is possible and (due to the high numbers of birds, fish, and BOW - think a million monkeys typing Shakespeare) occurs. But I think more likely fish introduction methods involve two feet.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Theo,

By two feet are you meaning people. Which in that case is possible, although we try to limit who comes out fishing to a minimum and ask all those that bring minnows or live bait not to release any they have left into the lakes.

We really don't see many trespassers especially at the big lake. That lake is at the back of the ranch about 6 miles from the front gate and 10 miles from any public road.

To me, how trash fish come about is almost the 8th wonder of the world. Where do bullheads, gar and carp come from amazes me.

Last edited by BrandonA; 04/03/09 10:59 AM.
Lunker
Lunker
Oh, yeah - people. Well-meaning friends, self-serving relatives, nasty neighbors who want to stick it to you, etc. These cases may not apply to you, but they apply somewhere.

-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
HAHA I understand the self-serving relatives. My wifes 2 cousins are about as sorry, no good bums created by man-kind. Rules mean nothing to them. There is no telling who they bring out there.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I've never seen a scientific study that shows birds carry eggs or fish from one BOW to another... Ya just never know though. In all likelihood its either accidental contamination, as in stocked fish contamination or bait bucket releases, or intentional as in malicious or not malicious bucket biologists...

Sounds like you are gonna have some great fishing with your setup. Having that many ponds really would allow you the ability to manage several unique fisheries.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
CJ

I can understand the accidental contamination of the bullheads and carp thinking they are helping stock good catfish and minnows being released being carp minnows, But our biggest influence and most damaging is gar. The nearest river that has Gar is the Nueces River which is 10-15 miles away. Thanks to google maps and tracing any tributaries the only way the gar can get into the lake from the river is to swim up hill. I did read an article from a fish biologist in either Alabama or Arkanasas saying that migratory birds can transport eggs or live fish short distances. That would make since. However if someone put gar in on purpose thats just being a true jackass. Interesting to say the least.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM