Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,108
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, jbird5986, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27), 783 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
My pond is now full and I am placing structure on the ice. My next step is to create a stocking plan. My pond is 1/2 acre with max depth of 15'. I am looking at having fun with LMB, BG and a few HSB. from reading some of the posts, I don't think I want HBG. I am not looking for lunkers in any of the groups, just want to have fun in my back yard and eat some fish.

I would love more advice on stocking plans, and information on a good Hatchery around SE Michigan. I don't mind driving a few hours. I am looking for a partner that will help with my pond, not just someone to dump fish. I talked to one hatchery in Michigan that told me to get what I want and offered no advice.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all of the great posts on the other threads. I have learned a ton in the last couple of days.

Brian
Retired Coach

Just another day in paradise!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
From your post in the other forum...

Originally Posted By: CoachB
thanks for the questions, CJBS. It will help my thought process.

I am looking for a fishing and swimming pond with LMB BG and HBS. I don't need lunkers in any of the groups, just want to have fun in my back yard. Plan on harvesting for food. beyond that, I want it to be as clean as possible.

I plan on aerating, but maybe not the first year (cost).

Any feedback is great. The pond is a clay pit filled with water and ice right now. it is a pretty empty canvas.

My reply:

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
As far as the fish species to be stocked in your pond. Your basic LMB BG pond can sometimes be difficult to manage, but if you start it off right, you'll save yourself a lot of work in the long run. By HBS in your post, I am assuming you mean HSB(hybrid striped bass)? If so, here are my recommendations...

This spring, stock 10-20 lbs of FHM to your pond in the fall stock 250 BG.

The following spring, stock 30 LMB. Then the following spring after that, stock another 30 LMB. If you are interested in the HSB I would say stock around 25 without aeration or feeding in the fall each year. HSB do not reproduce so you will have to stock them annually. The first couple years you can get away with stocking smaller fingerlings, but as the LMB age, you will have to stock larger HSB or they will become expensive LMB feed! Feeding your fish will certainly assist the HSB and the BG. That is up to you though. Aeration is not an absolute, but if finances allow it may be advisable particularly as the pond ages. If you are looking for food fish and sport, CC may be another option that is low maintenance but adds another option for the table and will not affect the balance of your pond.

Your reply:

Originally Posted By: CoachB
do want to follow up about the stocking. Yes, I was thinking stripers. Jones hatchery has it on the list. I am not a catfish person, so was not planning on them. Do I really have to wait that long to stock the BG and LMB? I am brand new to this. I want to do it right, but it is disappointing. Why should I wait? If this should be moved to a different forum, let me know.

If you don't like catfish, no need to stock them. The nice thing about CC is you can at anytime later stock them if you decide to. It is completely up to you. As far as waiting to stock fish. You can stock what ever you want when you want. But in my experience, if you want to get your pond off to a good start and minimize future corrective management I would stick with the stocking sequence and numbers I mentioned... You could bump the BG stocking up to this spring when you also stock the FHM and perhaps stock the LMB this fall, but I would be patient and stick with my original stocking recommendation.

I do not know of any hatcheries in SW Michigan. I do know of a few in Minnesota and Wisconsin but perhaps members from your neck of the woods may have more ideas as to sources for your future fish...

CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks for chasing it over here. I think I might move the BG to this spring, but will hold off the LMB until 2010. I want the pond to work right. It's just that I want to catch my own fish NOW!! my wife will attest to my impatience. Your advice with help me set up a pond that will last (instead of me dumping 10000 bass in there right now and destroying my dream).

Brian
Retired Coach

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hey coach, I don't have enough knowledge to suggest stocking #s but do have two cents to throw at ya. Both Bill Cody and Cecil are very enthusiastic about Laggis fish farm near Gobles Mi 269-628-2056 I do know that everyone stresses that you establish a good forage base and I agree. Nobody is as impatient as I am but I listened to the wise ones and followed procedure, you should also. Hate to admit but patience is virtue. I put in 10 lbs of FH and four pallets. FH are very protective of their spawning area and will defend a space of about a square ft or so. I put partitions in the pallets and created 64 spawning areas in each one. Pretty soon I was feeding thousands of FH. Then I put in YP and they doubled their size in the first summer. Feed your fish and they will feed you. Best of luck, Bob-O

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Coach,
Stocking your predators before the pond has a good forage base will not give you growth sooner, just older fish. The better forage base you have when you put in LMB etc. the greater growth you will get & your bass will be a year younger which gives them a better chance to reach their full potential growth.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Brian - I have used both Imlay City and Stoney Creek for stocking purposes.

Imlay City for YP and Reg BG. Stoney Creek for YP and FH. Imlay City delivered to the ponds and I met Stoney Creek at their fish day. I'm in the Whitmore Lake area. No problems with either.

Keep researching here on PB and asking questions. Fish farms are in the business of selling as you found out. You have to be a smart shopper and know what you want otherwise your gonna get what they want to sell you.

Make sure you understand the pros/cons of Hybrid vs Regular Bluegill. I went with regular because I actively manage the ponds.

Chuck

Last edited by ChuckC; 02/24/09 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks for the advice. I have found a fishery in northern Ohio that I am going with called FinFarm. I will let you know how the first meeting goes.

Brian
Retired Coach

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Stay with your stocking plan and beware of sales pitches from hatchery employees.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
The meeting went well. I went in there with my plan (well planned, thanks to the help from the Forums) and my questions, got my fish and got out. They really didn't try to oversell me, but it was the week before they officially open. I can easily see how you can get caught up in the fish overbuying when you are there if you don't have a solid plan.

My new fish are swimming in my lake after being careful to control contamination from hatchery water.

thanks for all the input! I think my pond is off to a good start.

Brian
Retired Coach

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sounds like everything went well Coach. Releasing fish is always fun. You did however violate membership rule 4, section 2, paragraph (a) which clearly states "all members shall post photos of every fish stocking event." We'll let it slide this time.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
CoachB Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
I started a new thread (with pictures!!) called my pond is alive!

Brian
Retired Coach

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails