Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Last September I had my ponds experiencing some signifcant erosion due to the 2:1 slopes and lack of vegetation. I performed a lot of research on PBF and decided erosion straw mats were the most efficient manner in which to control erosion and to encourage new vegetative growth.

I had 2 acres of deeply eroded slopes harrowed, then applied a combination of cool season grasses:

Fescue, Oats, Rye and Brome

Then two acres of straw mat was rolled out and pinned.

Unfortunately precipitation was light in October here in Lincoln, NE, and I didn't get much in the way of new vegetation. However, the mats worked wonders in terms of holding the banks together and discouraging further erosion.

Cost: Bids as high as 15k - used the cheapest at 6k.

I did NOT use any fertilizer for fear of creating an overabundance of Nitrogen in the pond [algae blooms, etc.]. Here are the pics of not only the Emats but also areas where rock and hay bales were placed to help prevent erosion.

Imagine this all around my ponds and on the backside of the dam - only four times as long, two times as deep, and more canyon-ish.

Erosion mat on the backside of main pond dam

EMat on the Front Side of main pond dam

EMat on the backside of pond 3 and 4

Emat on North side of main pond

Emat on the South side of main pond...you can really see the erosion here...and probably the jist of things by now.

Very LITTLE brome peaking it's head this Spring - hey there little guy!

I had major siltation issues running into Cedar pond in two spots.

First erosion issue: There is a pvc drainage pipe running from Pond 4 to Pond 3 and eventually to Pond 2. The soils used to cover the pipe had eroded away and effectively made a flow liner into the pond dumping buckets of sediment into the watershed. I used a Bobcat to very poorly create drainage diversion channels and to fill in the areas with hard packed clay. I also used about two tons of 6" limestone filter stone to fill in areas that were inaccessible by Bobcat and yours truly as the operator. I also added a siltation fence which very nearly caused me to go into cardiac arrest digging a 70' x 6" x 6" trough through clay and roots of all measure of density and thickness.

Siltation fence

From the pond looking up Niagra hill

Looking down on Cedar pond - see the crude diversion dyke I made! It only took me 6 hours! I have the ultimate in respect for Otto...

Here you can see the flowliner created by erosion and the poor packing job initially done by my contractor upon the pvc outflow tube into Cedar pond. I repacked with clay but only got so far - almost tipping the Cat several times until I gave way to adding filter stone [it's a lot steeper than it looks].

It's the end of the line, boys. Here's the afforementioned drainage pipe bringing all discharge from ponds 4 and 3 [SMB and RES/BG ponds]. You can see the sludge already drained into the pond, nothing I can do but try and prevent further siltation [is that even a word? I'm going to keep using it nevertheless]. The rocks here are to protect from erosion any super low flowing discharge [dribbling] from the pipe might create.

Second erosion issue: I drain 30-40 acres of virgin Nebraska prairie, and apparently found where lots of it likes to flow. I'm having major issues with siltation into Cedar pond here too. The bales are my feeble attempt of slowing the runoff long enough to have the soil particulate drop before heading into the pond. Fighting a losing battle until my overseeding takes hold? Probably...but it's not everyday a guy gets to hammer 3' stakes into hay bales while Cedar branches poke them in the eyes, is it?

Side view...I know - not great stake work.

So what if Bruce wants to leave. So what if my forearm is about to bust through my skin. So what I've already pounded my shins twice with tired arms and am bleeding through my socks...I have two bales and four stakes left and the rain approaches...[which, incidently, never did come]

Think these are going to make a difference? Not a chance.

I overseeded a mixture of brome, fescue, and rye in all areas with exposed soil last week and harrowed it in with a ATV and, um, a harrow.

Thanks to all for the guidance - could NOT have accomplished any of this without your patient advice.

Coming soon - Habitat: Ambush zones and Fathead fornication condos.

TJ

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 03/23/09 11:13 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think your work will make a difference. Now all you need is the right rains.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In 50 years, one of your great grandkids is gonna be out there pullin' big fat CSBG from the pond, surrounded by this natural oasis nirvana setting. You better have this stuff burned into a CD as a reminder for them.
-
At the end of the day, cuts and bruises get written off like the air we breath. The overwhelming feeling of contentment and accomplishment are amazing healers. Good job, man.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I think your work will make a difference. Now all you need is the right rains.

thanks Dave - you helped guide me to this decision on straw mats for erosion. you were right, my land was not a good candidate for hydroseeding. so far, so good on erosion. now I just need some germination!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
In 50 years, one of your great grandkids is gonna be out there pullin' big fat CSBG from the pond, surrounded by this natural oasis nirvana setting. You better have this stuff burned into a CD as a reminder for them.
-
At the end of the day, cuts and bruises get written off like the air we breath. The overwhelming feeling of contentment and accomplishment are amazing healers. Good job, man.

Very true Bski - thanks for the kind words.

To answer you questions a little more directly - this emat can defintely be accomplished with an ATV, Harrow, and a few guys to help staple mats to the soil. I think any future posts with guys looking for direction should emphasize the important of hydration - maybe putting a pump on an innertube in the pond and running sprinklers. I would definitely have gone that route had I known I could do it.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice job. You have water and seed you want to start growing before the rains get there. What about renting a small gas powered pump and watering the seed (garden hose and sprinkler) so it will be up before the rains start the erosion process.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Ewest - great idea. thank you

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
This may be the best effort ever posted on the forum great job.

Thanks for the time to take the pictures and share them.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thats high praise I don't deserve, but thank you Otto. I owe everything to the PBF and PB Magazine guiding the way. I think it would be a pretty cool story for the magazine - it's really been a collaberative effort - the entire Pond Boss community has something to do with getting these ponds together. Pretty cool story that really underscores the value of the magazine, the contributors, and the invaluable Forum.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
That is great idea TJ. I'll bet that if you put together the story with photos that Bob Lusk would be very interested. Email him and find out what he would be looking for in the article (content and format). Also make sure that in one of the photo's you're in the picture (hero shot). I'm very serious about this and it's not very often that I'm very serious.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Jhap. Maybe it would generate some interest with Bob. I think it would be a unique way to help promote PB - from concept to fullfillment, we can help you build and manage your ponds....all for $35/year!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sounds like a deal to me!

Last edited by CJBS2003; 03/27/09 03:29 PM.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Tj, all of this hard work will repay huge dividends before long. I bet after it fills and you catch that fist 7+ pound bass, you won't even remember the aches and pains caused now!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
i battled the same issues at my pond. i get lots of water down the hills to my pond. i used the straw netting and it worked wonders for me. i have a couple of 2" trash pumps. i bought a few fittings and reduced it to a garden hose to run sprinklers. it helped. i planted rows of sod in places also. the straw netting was the most effective and cost effective next to the sod.

i am thinking of using a mini excavator to dig out some of the silt around the edges. looks like it only silted the first few feet. i am afraid it caused my shallow areas to be toooo shallow and grass will grow in the water. i just cant decide when the best time to do the digging? i thought about dropping my water level about 2 feet in the fall after the fish stop feeding well to do the digging..any thoughts

Scott Hanners
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
scott69
The trash pump and sprinklers are a great idea. That will take the guess work out of planting grass.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump