Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
A few times a year Arkansas Pond Stockers visit farm stores like one in Lincoln and bring fish. I have ordered 500 RES and might pick up a few lbs of Fatheads. Based on questions provided by Ewest and Theo I learned the following after speaking with Mike Denton of A.P.S:

RES are 1-3" - spawned last fall - $.50/ea.
No feeding program - leaves them in low numbers to prey on zooplankton
RES are not mixed with other species
100% replacement policy on morts

I may also purchase several lbs of FHM - $9/G is his price.

Mike seemed like a genuine and knowledgable guy and was adamant about the health and that no undesirable species would present in either his FH or RES and welcomed me to hand sort as many as I wanted. Oh yeah, he's also a PB subscriber.

Thought I'd pass this info onto the forum and see if anyone has experience with the outfit and would be willing to share their experiences.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
See your other thread.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=155952#Post155952

There are people here who have used them with good results - but not RES in a cold climate.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
TJ, APS supplies several places and has for quite some time. I have considered getting some of their hybrid Crappie which produce inferior offspring for control. FWIW, FH go for $7.00/lb around here, but they are probably covering the 400 mile journey.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Rainman...I am ending up going with Richard Clearwater out of Wayne NE who is getting them from Hartley's in KS. 750 4-6" RES $.55/ea. plus $125 delivery to pond. Even though they are from South KS I'm hoping they are hearty enough to withstand NE winters...at least the majority of them.

FYI - I think Kloubecs might be out of the RES and SMB business. Bummer - their Iowa fish would probably be well acclimated to NE weather.

I am cancelling my order from "ye olde fishwagon". Nice to know I have the boys watching my back.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Wise choice. I think Shorty got some from them.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
TJ, APS supplies several places and has for quite some time. I have considered getting some of their hybrid Crappie which produce inferior offspring for control. FWIW, FH go for $7.00/lb around here, but they are probably covering the 400 mile journey.

Just for clarification about Arkansas Pond Stockers, they are near my pond and have a good reputation although I use a local family fish farm. And the Crappie that produce inferior offspring are the goal of the hybrid so stocking in small impoundments will not be a danger.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Thanks Rainman...I am ending up going with Richard Clearwater out of Wayne NE who is getting them from Hartley's in KS. 750 4-6" RES $.55/ea. plus $125 delivery to pond. Even though they are from South KS I'm hoping they are hearty enough to withstand NE winters...at least the majority of them.

FYI - I think Kloubecs might be out of the RES and SMB business. Bummer - their Iowa fish would probably be well acclimated to NE weather.

I am cancelling my order from "ye olde fishwagon". Nice to know I have the boys watching my back.

$.55 for that size RES is a steal! Finding them in any quantity that size around here is darn near immpossible too!

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I got 300 cnbg and 100 res from APS. Also 2# fatheads. They were in fine condition. They were a little higher than some of the Miss. hatcheries, but I had the grandson 'double burger jr.' with me, so just had to let him in on the 1st stocking. I DID call their office and get their delivery schedule. Our town was the 1st day on their stop. The next month, I got 300 straight BG from a nearby hatchery. A good bit cheaper.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hartleys has been the supplier of some nice smallies to AaronM and howard, both of which have warmer climates and their smallies are thriving (howard, yours are thriving, right?).

I'm going to get some advanced smallies from them. I think it's a good way to go, TJ.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Hartleys has been the supplier of some nice smallies to AaronM and howard, both of which have warmer climates and their smallies are thriving (howard, yours are thriving, right?).

I'm going to get some advanced smallies from them. I think it's a good way to go, TJ.

I talked to Howard sometime last year and he said that they were doing good. I may try and stock SMB as my main predator but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Chris Steelman

I talked to Howard sometime last year and he said that they were doing good. I may try and stock SMB as my main predator but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Hey Chris - that's my plan also. We should compare notes sometime.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker

Thanks Sunil...just something to keep in mind for SMB - Shawn Banks has a source with pellet trained SMB. I am getting my RES from Hartleys via Clearwater, but SMB I think I'm going with Shawn. It might be worth contacting him when your time arrives.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C

You having them shipped to you Sunil?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yes, I was considering that however I have done nothing as far as planning yet.

Originally, I was going to have them shipped to John Sproch and let him grow them out for a few months and then have him deliver them to me.

I need to get in gear on this.

If anyone has Hartley's number, please post it or PM me. I lost the last number given to me.

I'll check in with Banks also.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sunil, if this is the place...

Hartley Fish Farms Inc.
Kingman, Kansas
Phone 620-532-3093
http://www.hartleyfishfarmsinc.com/

Sounds like you and John Sproch have a good working relationship... Sounds like he is a good guy, only about a 3 hour drive from my house to his hatchery. Next year when I stock my neighborhood pond, I may make the trip if you have had such good luck with him.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
APS as best I can find out has good fish. No knock on them intended in my posts. I would not stock any deep south RES into a Neb pond because of the cold and it makes no difference if they are from APS , ASF , SEP , Greg , Todd or Bob.

D
dvr Offline
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Anyone have any positive or cautionary comments about any fish suppliers in oklahoma? I know Dunn's Fish Farm is here, and Harbin is listed in the Resource Guide of this site. Any recommendations? Should i be looking further away for better quality?

just a poor oklahoma boy
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Call Bob he provides fish in OK. He has used Inslee on occasion. See the wild bunch pics below.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images