Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,070
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (DenaTroyer, Freg, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie), 761 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155018 03/24/09 09:10 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'm getting quotes ranging from $17k - $8k - hard for me to swallow. Does anyone have any experience with DIY floating dock kits, like these?

http://www.dockbuilders.com/dockkits.htm

Or any other sources I might want to consider I would appreciate!

Thanks

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The last issue of PB mag has an article on docks including floating ones.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hey Ewest

Yes, I read that article with great interest - thanks for the reminder. All the dock builders are in TX, not NE, and I'm not really looking to outsource yet another project. Specifically I am wondering if anyone in the PBF has specific experience with DIY Floating Dock kits. A good website is all I'm looking for if someone has used their plans/hardware successfully.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
teehjaeh57 -

The Corp of Engineers just made Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri an encapsulated foam only lake, so all the old docks with standard foam either had to be converted over or pulled out. There are a ton of nice docks with the unencapsulated stuff available down there for pennies on the dollar for what it would cost to build new. If you could figure out a way to dismantle and transport, it would probably be worth your time. I'm considering doing it myself.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
good idea Weissguy, maybe you could recycle several and make $$$

i built my own using a Merco Marine kit. i have picture of it floating on ice, maybe i email pictures to weissguy as i cannot from here

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
i think merco is cheaper too. good heavy galvanizing

http://www.mercomarine.com/boat-docks/dock-kits.html

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
sent pictures to TJ

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Weissguy
teehjaeh57 -

The Corp of Engineers just made Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri an encapsulated foam only lake, so all the old docks with standard foam either had to be converted over or pulled out. There are a ton of nice docks with the unencapsulated stuff available down there for pennies on the dollar for what it would cost to build new. If you could figure out a way to dismantle and transport, it would probably be worth your time. I'm considering doing it myself.

That's very interesting...guess one would need a nice trailer. Any clues on how one would go about researching? Drive down there? Call someone - check want ads?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks Cliffbrook

Good looking setup...surprised at the low price!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm going to have to replace my dock this year, or next. The dock was built before the pond was flooded in 1992. Ice and weather have taken their toll.

The article in the March/April 2009 PB issue had a lot of good information, but I'd sure like a lot more info.

I'd really like to have a dock I could move with my tractor -- one with with a trailer hitch, that I could pull out in November, and push back into the pond in March.

At a minimum, I'd love to have a dock, in or out of the water, that won't be damaged by a 12-24 inch thick iceberg, that is 80% the surface size of my pond, and pushed by 50 mph winds.

I'd really like to have an open-discussion workshop on this topic at the convention.

Maybe it could be on the lawn over a burger, brew, and some ice.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Ken, up here on great sacandaga lake because of the hydro dam and the need to supply water to the hudson river the lake can fluctuate quite a bit.
Many people have docks with wheels and also flotation so they can either float it or pull it in a little to keep it in contact with the bottom, then in the fall pull it out of the water.
http://www.greatnortherndocks.com/Docks/RollerDocks.htm

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
That's very interesting...guess one would need a nice trailer. Any clues on how one would go about researching? Drive down there? Call someone - check want ads?

Craigslist seems to have a few pop up from time to time. You could also talk with some of the marine repair shops down there. They might have some of them available on consignment. You could also try posting your own craigslist want ad in related areas.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
ohmygod, cat, dont be giving me nightmares.....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: cliffbrook
ohmygod, cat, dont be giving me nightmares.....

I guess I must elicit such outbursts. My boss has been saying that to me since he hired me way back in 1976! After all these years, he still asks me a few times a week if he's fired me yet that day (we're now both in the senior citizen category, so our memory isn't what it used to be)!

The link that Adirondak Pond posted has some of the best products I've seen. They need to be advertising in Pond Boss.

Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Ken, up here on great sacandaga lake because of the hydro dam and the need to supply water to the hudson river the lake can fluctuate quite a bit.
Many people have docks with wheels and also flotation so they can either float it or pull it in a little to keep it in contact with the bottom, then in the fall pull it out of the water.
http://www.greatnortherndocks.com/Docks/RollerDocks.htm

I'm glad to see all the links, like Mecro Marine I'm about three hours from them, but I've got some meetings up that way next month. They too should be PB advertisers, so we can find them.

Anyway, thanks all. When I start my new dock, I'll take lots of pictures, and post plenty of info.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Howdy fellas its been awhile and my fish are still growing, My HBG are around 9-10 inches long. I havent seen a single RES that I can positively ID yet, not sure of the best way to catch them. but back to the topic, I picked up some used dock foam couple years now I guess by chance stopping into Hiets Point Luthern camp and asking them if they had any, At the time they didnt have that much to pick from but they had just burned a huge pile earlier that year, can you imagine what that must have been like, Anyway here is the link to the place maybe you can contact them and find out http:// [url=www.heitspoint.com]Here you go[/url] /

A little snow, Please!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
teehjaeh57 This thread shows a dock I built using the dock builders hardware and floats. I was very satisfied with their products
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=11509&Number=132922#Post132922

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Nice David...I appreciate the head's up!

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails